Starting March 6 for Lent

pearlgirl2017

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:51 AM, pearlgirl2017 said:

The weather for us right now is what keeps me from sleeping as well as I know I can.  There's no way to know what to set the thermostat on.  We go from freezing to spring back to freezing and storms.  We are supposed to have another 12 - 18 hours worth of wind and rain starting around noon today.  

This morning I had one of my favorite breakfasts.  A 3 egg omelet with spinach, blueberries, coconut aminos and cinnamon cooked in bacon drippings.  Lunch can only wish it was that good.  Today is more of the zucchini soup with an added tablespoon of coconut oil and a chicken & apple sausage link.  Dinner tonight is usually anything that is leftover and/or a big salad.  Or maybe tonight I'll finally get around to making those Asian Inspired Tuna Patties. 

I've noticed less pain in my knees lately.  That's a plus.  

The omelet sounds fantastic! Do you mix the aminos and the cinnamon with the eggs before you cook them?

Yes 2nd morning with allergy headache. Happy St. Patrick's day. Had our Irish dinner last night. Grass feed roast fixed family recipe like standing rib: salt & pepper rub then sear in juice with 15 minutes at 450 degrees, drop to 325 degrees for 15- 20 minutes per pound add salt boiled potatoes when lower the heat. Served with braised cabbage: https://nomnompaleo.com/post/1356598429/worlds-best-braised-green-cabbage. Really a treat, didn't even miss the Jameson and Irish beer.

I'm still famished when I plate dinners and forget to take pictures!

I decided to do Whole30 - again - to kickstart training for a run.  I’m 60 pounds overweight and I’ve had horrible eating habits since my teen years.  I’ve gotten away from exercise for the past 2 years.  And, honestly I drink too much.  

I used to log long bicycle rides, but life changed and I can’t get out like I used to for those 20-50 mile rides.  

I asked my brother the marathoner to do a 10k with me, and he of course is ready tomorrow!  Me.  I need lots of work.  He told me to pick a 10k, and I chose the Marine Marathon 10k in late October.  Training for me starts now.  Step 1 is to clean up this mess I’ve made.  Whole30 for Lent is part of that.

I live alone with my adult daughter who is disabled.  My husband works construction projects for hospitals outside of the US.  So, I have a lot of control over the shopping and the cooking and the meal prep.

So, it’s day 14 for me.  I’ve made it to the treadmill everyday so far, stayed compliant with my food choices, and have kept up with my daily Lenten devotion.

havent noticed any nonscale victories, yet.  I’m surprised that I’m not waking up hungry.  Whole30s of the past I’ve gone to bed planning on breakfast because I woke up hungry.  This go round I seem to wake up with upset stomach.  Might be the multivitamin I’ve been taking.

anyway, happy St Patrick Day to all.  Breakfast this morning was Kitchen Sink scrambled eggs with spinach, avocado, green onion and tomato - lots of green.

DEA48C2D-3F14-4A2C-9D22-AFCFDB8908F1.jpeg

God morning MJ, thanks for sharing. This is my 2nd whole 30 and I too am experiencing it differently.

Over drinking I do too, which I  clearly recognize does increase my binge eating of anything that turns into a sugar rush. And yes that means I'm overweight again for the umpteenth time as an adult. I was a dancer in another lifetime and then got my late in life law school obesity off running half marathons. I now cannot run due to both knees with bone on bone osteoarthritis. 

Here's the good news I can put my knee braces on, every day fast walk on the treadmill once and the dog once. I can, one day at a time, not drink alcohol and remain complaint! I know you can too!!!

On 3/16/2019 at 7:23 PM, hjp1698 said:

The omelet sounds fantastic! Do you mix the aminos and the cinnamon with the eggs before you cook them?

It's based on this recipe https://www.stephgaudreau.com/sweet-and-savory-blueberry-omelet/.

Yes, I mix the coconut aminos and the cinnamon into the eggs.  I melt the fat, then when the pan is hot I add the spinach.  Add a little salt then stir until it's just wilted, then add the egg mixture. It really is a fantastic tasting meal.

On 3/6/2019 at 8:43 PM, pearlgirl2017 said:

Meal 3 had a very good flavor. It just needed more veggies. Sounded like it would be a lot by reading the recipe. Made a note for next time, and there will be a next time. 

IMG_0610.JPG

I missed the answer to my own question here. So for confirmation you add a fat portion to your whole 30 compliant main dishes, the Tbls almond butter, correct? I also will add another pepper and broccoli (I had a red and orange pepper) for color. I don't use my like sweet and sour at Chinese restaurants because it's way too sweet. I will make this again!

3 hours ago, ALM Grandma said:

How did you cook this cabbage? it looks delicious!

The cabbage is easy.  I cook the whole head at one time.  Remember to sub the ghee for the butter in the recipe https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/256279/buttered-braised-cabbage/.

As for the https://therealfoodrds.com/skillet-sweet-and-sour-chicken-whole30/ (where I used a pork tenderloin instead of chicken) I garnished each serving with cashews.  Neither of us care to eat bell peppers, of any color, so I chopped them big enough we could pull them out easily.  I won't even use them next time to see how different the flavor is.

Dinner last night was the Walnut Crusted Pork Tenderloin from the Whole30 cookbook (page 252).  Added a can of Delmonte sliced carrots to get my starchy vegetable in, and I used Primal Kitchen's Balsamic Vinaigrette instead of making my own.  Some days you just need easy.

Hi fellow Whole30ers. Hope you don't mind me jumping in like this. I am living in Europe, Croatia. This is my 4th Whole30. I struggle with the amount of time meal prep requires. I have to do everything from scratch here as there are absolutely no ready made options that are compliant. 

18 hours ago, Ksprljan said:

I have to do everything from scratch here as there are absolutely no ready made options that are compliant. 

That does make it more time consuming when EVERYTHING has to be done from scratch.  But I'll bet it tastes better.  Canned and bottled goods are convenient, but they still lack something in the flavor department.  

12 hours ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

That does make it more time consuming when EVERYTHING has to be done from scratch.  But I'll bet it tastes better.  Canned and bottled goods are convenient, but they still lack something in the flavor department.  

On 3/19/2019 at 9:18 AM, pearlgirl2017 said:

The cabbage is easy.  I cook the whole head at one time.  Remember to sub the ghee for the butter in the recipe https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/256279/buttered-braised-cabbage/.

As for the https://therealfoodrds.com/skillet-sweet-and-sour-chicken-whole30/ (where I used a pork tenderloin instead of chicken) I garnished each serving with cashews.  Neither of us care to eat bell peppers, of any color, so I chopped them big enough we could pull them out easily.  I won't even use them next time to see how different the flavor is.

Dinner last night was the Walnut Crusted Pork Tenderloin from the Whole30 cookbook (page 252).  Added a can of Delmonte sliced carrots to get my starchy vegetable in, and I used Primal Kitchen's Balsamic Vinaigrette instead of making my own.  Some days you just need easy.

On 3/6/2019 at 8:21 AM, pearlgirl2017 said:

Good morning!  Day 1 Meal 1 done.  Sunday I had boiled the eggs and diced the cabbage so this came together fairly quickly this morning. 

IMG_0607.JPG

How did you cook this cabbage? it looks delicious!

I'm sorry, I thought the link would work.  The cabbage recipe is called Butter Braised Cabbage and I found it on allrecipes.com.

Ingredients: 4 tablespoons butter - divided (sub ghee on Whole30), 1 head green cabbage - shredded, salt and pepper.

Directions:  

Heat 3 tablespoons butter in a large pot over medium-low heat until mostly melted. Add cabbage. Place remaining 1 tablespoon butter on top of the cabbage. Cover and cook until cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes. Uncover and stir cabbage to coat evenly with butter. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, about 3 minutes. Season with black pepper.

Hope that helps.  

Waking up to day 18 here.  Good Friday will be a Whole45.  So, I’m 2/5th of the way done. Been keeping it clean with the exception of white potato which I know is compliant, but I’m probably having more of that than I should.  My daughter loves Wendy’s, so when I take her I get a plain baked potato it’s chives and then I add ghee.  

I’ve had an upset stomach for the whole length of this Whole30.  When I’ve done Whole30 in the past I have woken up hungry. Now I have to force myself to eat a meal.  More than likely it’s the iron in the one-a-day vitamin I’ve been taking.  Don’t want to stop taking the vitamin.  I’m 56 years-old and I need my vitamins.

Not really sewing any physical changes in my appearance.  I do have improvements in energy and focus.  Getting things done around the house that have been neglected for too long.  Reading more instead of watching tv.  That’s a real plus.

I’m doing well with the meals in that I’m not wasting anything.  I shared before that this has been a emblem in th past - lading the fridge with fresh foods that go bad brew consumed - or too many leftovers in the fridge that go to waste.  I keep a dry erase board on the fridge reminding me what’s in there and what date it as purchased/prepared.

Real challenge is next week when my husband is here.  He loves to go out to eat.  I prepare to cook meals at home.  We’ll see how it goes.

1 hour ago, MJ of Cayman said:

We’ll see how it goes

Good luck to you with that.  Is he supportive of your efforts?  I'm afraid I really can't help when it comes to eating out because we rarely ever do it ourselves.  This is where they recommend checking out the menus beforehand.  If memory serves, there is always a grilled something salad (some places I've heard will grill to order with only olive oil, salt and pepper), hold the cheese, and your own container of salad dressing.   a la carte appetizers and sides might work too.  But like I said, I don't eat out much so I have no idea what is on menus anymore.  My man prefers me to bring home fried fish, fried shrimp, fried chicken or pizza.  Take out rather than going out.  

Really like the white board idea with inventory and dates - I'm 58 and raised by older parents who grew up during the depression - so wasting expense fresh food makes me crazy!

My husband love's to eat out and we live in a smallish college town with a ton of pizza, fast food and pub fried foods. I have snooped out the small hand full of restaurants that can grill, have complaint oil and will actually prepare food the way I order it. My husband knows during a whole 30 I will only go to these ones.

My biggest issue is only 1 of these restaurants doesn't have a liquor license and I am working hard to emphasis the nsv's rather than deprivation. I did go out for breakfast yesterday and didn't even think about their bk cocktails - wow Yahoo me!

Day 18. YAY! Slowly seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Not missing certain foods at all. A craving creeps up every so often. 

My husband is doing the Whole30 with me so we are supporting each other. We almost never eat out. Only on special family occasions. We also very rarely order take out, so I cook A LOT. My mom helps out sometimes, she cooks a couple days a week (mostly stews) and makes extra for my family. She is great about adapting to be Whole30 compliant on those days. 

I am not bored with the food, I am not craving non compliant food, but I am really really sick of being in the kitchen all the time. I am either prepping, cooking or cleaning up. I feel like all I do is spend time in the kitchen. For me that is the most challenging aspect of the W30 - the amount of time spent in the kitchen. I work full time so between shopping for fresh ingredients, prepping, cooking and cleaning up I am exhausted and frustrated. I lose all that free time for me - to just sit and read, go for a walk etc. I can barely fit in my trips to the gym and a couple of times I had to skip those because I would not have time to prepare a meal for my hubby and myself and for my two girls. I know that it is about time management and that I should do more on the weekends to prepare for the week but it is still challenging and exhausting. 

Looking forward to having a couple of days a week when I can just sleep in 15 minutes longer and have cereal or put together a quick pasta meal for dinner. 

Made pearlgirls curry last night with pork and extra vegetables really good! I made your sweat and sour with chicken last week also really good. Cleaned up the kitchen fully before bed. I'm a much happier camper this morning by doing so.

My allergies are really bad which is making me dig deeper for NSV especially first thing in the morning.

21 hours ago, ALM Grandma said:

Any ideas on throat lozenge with no added sugar or fake sweetener? My throat is killing me with allergies.

I wish I could tell you a specific product to use.  I generally use Children's Benedryl, it's clear and doesn't have too much added stuff.  I've seen the mods say to not let yourself get rundown to a point where you don't have any energy.  A swig of Nyquil usually isn't a food-with-no-brakes kind of thing, nor does it usually wake up the sugar dragon.  I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Got to love the sunshine!  Makes me feel like "all things are possible"!

Threw a stir-fry together last night after working in the yard most of the day.  There was enough for the both of us last night, lunch for me today, and dinner for both of us again tonight.  

I didn't make a meal plan for this week, shows an incredible lack of motivation.  I'll have to get on the ball before tomorrow rolls around and there is nothing in the pantry!!!

Archived