Starting March 6 for Lent

pearlgirl2017

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m on day 38 and the last few days have been the hardest.  First, my complexion is just awful.  I’m 56 years old and I have these itchy bumps along my cheeks and on both sides of my chin under the corners of my mouth.  Very disappointed about this side effect.  

What aslo has been hard are my unending cravings for ............ I would mention it specifically but don’t want to set off cravings for any of my fellow abstaining forum friends.  

I have an adult daughter with a severe cognitive disability and going to the grocery together every day is just something that we do.  I found myself pining for Coca Cola yesterday.  Yikes!

The good news is that I’ve stuck with the plan 100%.  I’m getting on the treadmill every other day and have increased my speed and distance over the last 38 days.  And, energy is still there.  

I really want to get on the scale.

Easter’s coming!!

I have to admit that my round has not been as well executed as I would have liked.  The biggest challenge was remembering to add a plated fat.  There were a few times that I used my Tony's seasoning or my Newman's dressings.  I can say that my sugar consumption was way down but not zero.  And then about half-way thru, my man throws me for a loop.  For the last 7 years he has eaten everything that I cooked but hasn't really liked it (his mom raised him to eat whatever was on the table). 

I could easily live on eggs, fish and pork for my protein, Whole30 or not.  Him?  He needs everything fried for it to be "good".  Salad, baked potatoes and meatloaf seem to be the only things that have been acceptable.  (Of course the meatloaf is filled with crushed crackers and covered in a brown sugar/ketchup glaze, that's why he likes it). 

I feel like I have been set adrift, without a rope to hold me in place.  Okay, so our palates are different, time for a new plan.  More hamburger steaks and taco salads for a while I suppose.  And a meatloaf for him this weekend...

That's hard when a spouse isn't as supportive and it's more work for you.  Mine likes what I serve him and is on board with Whole30 but can't help much with meal prep with his schedule, so I do most of the cooking.  

One week to go!  We're planning to keep going with most of the same habits after Easter.  

On 4/10/2019 at 2:57 PM, MJ of Cayman said:

I’m 56 years old and I have these itchy bumps along my cheeks and on both sides of my chin under the corners of my mouth.  Very disappointed about this side effect.  

What aslo has been hard are my unending cravings for ..........

MJ, since we last chatted about this I specifically removed coconut milk, per your suggestion, with no improvement in my skin or cravings. So I hit the menopause with decreasing estrogen theory. The literature and my female naturopathic Dr confirms that both negative side effects most likely are caused by our time in life rather than whole 30 elimination. 

5 hours ago, ALM Grandma said:

MJ, since we last chatted about this I specifically removed coconut milk, per your suggestion, with no improvement in my skin or cravings. So I hit the menopause with decreasing estrogen theory. The literature and my female naturopathic Dr confirms that both negative side effects most likely are caused by our time in life rather than whole 30 elimination. 

Thank you so much for this info.  It has been disappointing to read so many reports of glowing skin, and I feel this crud all over my face.  Clinique will benefit from this, for sure.

On 4/12/2019 at 12:17 PM, pearlgirl2017 said:

I feel like I have been set adrift, without a rope to hold me in place.  Okay, so our palates are different, time for a new plan.  More hamburger steaks and taco salads for a while I suppose.  And a meatloaf for him this weekend...

Sorry, this can be hard. I find that seeking out compliant but closer to tastes my hubby likes improves my staying on plan!

On 4/14/2019 at 1:15 PM, MJ of Cayman said:

Thank you so much for this info.  It has been disappointing to read so many reports of glowing skin, and I feel this crud all over my face.  Clinique will benefit from this, for sure.

There may be something in your soap or moisturizer that is giving you trouble now.  I love making my own face scrub/cleanser, and it's so super simple.  1/4 cup sea salt (dead sea is best) and a few tablespoons of your favorite cooking oil (grapeseed, coconut, avocado or olive).  That's it.  Rub it on your face (gently) in a circular motion and rinse it off.  It's a great make-up remover, exfoliant, cleanser and moisturizer all in one.   

I don't measure my amounts any more.  I just scoop up a handful of salt and add enough oil to make it moist, jump in the shower and use it on my face, elbows, knees....

9 hours ago, justalittledash said:

Lent is done with the start of the Triduum!  Is anyone fasting tomorrow or starting reintroduction, or waiting until Saturday or Sunday?

I only fast from noon to 4. Otherwise no meat otherwise whole 30. I'm reintroduction Easter day. I will go ahead and start reintroduction group today instead of tomorrow so enter as your ready.

Archived