Starting March 11th!

asharn

So excited to start on Monday! I'm a little anxious because I've been living a MOSTLY vegetarian diet for the last year but the Whole 30 recipes look so yummy and I stand behind the philosophy of the program.

Any tips for buying meat? I really don't want to order from anywhere online but I do have a Trader Joes, Whole Foods and Fresh Thyme nearby!

Also, I'm already planning at St. Patty's day brunch with friends and we've landed on a restaurant.  I'm anxious about eating out as well mainly due to the oils and such. I've included a screenshot of the menu and the 2 items I am stuck between would be the Chorizo w/ Potatoes and the Omelet (omitting the cheese). Any glaring issues? I am anxious about the chorizo mean so maybe I will call to see if there is any added sugar but with the omelet what if the oil is non-compliant. AHH!! Help!!

Capture.JPG

• Moderators

Ya unfortunately you're just going to have to call them and ask them about oils, added sugar, added soy, any breading or crusting that they use on the potatoes etc...

If you google 'whole30 guide to dining out' there's a pdf that gives a bit of a guideline on questions you might want to ask.  You need to know the oil that the onions were carmalized in, what the oil is the omlette is cooked it, what if anything is on the potatoes, what oil is used to cook them, what's in the sausage (sugar, wheat, soy) not just sugar... 

Just now, asharn said:

So excited to start on Monday! I'm a little anxious because I've been living a MOSTLY vegetarian diet for the last year but the Whole 30 recipes look so yummy and I stand behind the philosophy of the program.

Any tips for buying meat? I really don't want to order from anywhere online but I do have a Trader Joes, Whole Foods and Fresh Thyme nearby!

Also, I'm already planning at St. Patty's day brunch with friends and we've landed on a restaurant.  I'm anxious about eating out as well mainly due to the oils and such. I've included a screenshot of the menu and the 2 items I am stuck between would be the Chorizo w/ Potatoes and the Omelet (omitting the cheese). Any glaring issues? I am anxious about the chorizo mean so maybe I will call to see if there is any added sugar but with the omelet what if the oil is non-compliant. AHH!! Help!!

Capture.JPG

Hi Asharn,  I was eating as a vegan before starting the Whole 30 and so I can relate. Personally at first I found it hard because just the idea of my eating meat made me gag...despite having previously been a perfectly fine carnivore before turning to plant based foods. So I didn't want to cook raw meat so I found lots of pre-cooked meats at Trader Joe's.

In the cold section (where they have cheese and so on) I found grilled chicken breasts, grilled chicken patties and spicy sausages all precooked. One version of sausages has no added sugar. Once I adjusted, in the frozen section they have Chilli-lime turkey burgers. Trader Joe's also has bags of frozen chicken breasts and thighs, salmon, tilapia, etc. Really easy to prepare (don't have to chop anything before cooking). There are probably lots more options elsewhere but TJ's is still my fave stock up place.

Hope this helps a little. I'll be starting on 11th as well - tuning in on the other group.

Archived