First timer with Hashimoto's feeling super tired, hungry, spacey, and queasy.

Hello!
I am just starting my first attempt at Whole30 (Day 3) and I know the beginning can be tough for many. I am concerned I am not doing something right or am doing something unsafe due to my Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism and wanted to get tips or confirmation if I'm on the right track. 

I am experiencing a lot of fatigue and hunger, which is something I often experience and am hoping the whole30 will ultimately remedy. 

I am feeling REALLY spacey. Every time I start to do something I get distracted with something else and forget what I was doing. I'm having trouble holding on to thoughts. This is not normal for me. 

I am having stomach upset, diarrhea, gas, queasiness. Also not normal for me at this level. 

Thyroid tests show I am currently hypothyroid, which I am waiting to address with my doctor at my next appointment. My blood pressure has been really low which is most likely due to the hypothyroidism, so I am adding a lot of salt to my food. I have been gluten free for three years.

Here is a list of what I've been eating on my first days:

image.png.b961cb1d6e5250b64a72fab476cde575.png

Thanks for your help!

• Moderators

You really want all your meals to match the meal template, which you can download here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

So, you're missing protein in several meals. Each meal should have one to two portions of protein the size of your palm -- length, width, and height -- or if eggs are your only protein have as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, so probably 3-4 for most people. Nuts are a fat source not a protein for whole30 purposes.

We really don't recommend having smoothies. They tend to be fruit heavy, and in general, drinking your food rather than eating it doesn't satisfy as well or keep you satisfied as long between meals.

You have lots of fruit and starchy vegetables listed. Fruit should ideally be limited to two servings each day or less, and a serving is about the size of your closed fist. Starchy vegetables are fine to have, but be sure you're also having plenty of non-starchy ones as well. Try aiming for a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day, with lots of other vegetables. Aim for 2-3 cups of vegetables at each meal.

I also have Hashimoto's, and I do way better with cooked vegetables vs. raw vegetables, and especially if I eat a good pile of cooked vegetables at breakfast.  No guarantees the same effect would happen for everybody.

Also, you may want to potentially watch the nori wraps - they tend to be high in iodine which can affect thyroid function.  (I've heard both that it can help and it can hurt, soooo....I guess it just depends on amount and how it affects you!)

Archived