Resist the hijacking brain

cmac8

This is going to be obvious because it's the premise of this entire program- but wow, I realize that how often my brain hijacks me because it's stuck on an expectation of a "quick fix".

Here I am, Day 5 (that number seems much lower than it feels) of Whole30 holistically feeling like a rock star because of all the healthy foods I'm eating.  But then, I start doing that little pinching/patting/sucking in of fat in different places- just taking stock- and I realize I haven't miraculously overwritten massive swings in my attention to a good diet over the past three months.

Normally when this happens I say F it, eat an entire container of Trader Joe's dark chocolate peanut butter cups, and then resolve to eat soooooo healthy starting again on Monday (rinse, repeat).

Instead, throwing this out into the internet abyss because a) definitely not feeling very good about my body right now but a BIG b) is that finally finally I feel like I have a simple yet tough-love enough framework to resist the TJ's siren song and just go to bed, ready for a hopefully better mental day tomorrow.

This is where the psychological side of Whole30 comes into play. You're trying to break old habits and make healthy new ones, which can't happen right away because this is a process and it will take step-by-step walking through it... and it might take repetition, because most of us (if not all) have more than just one or two habits/hangups/addictions that we have to get through, and that usually means quite a bit of psychological baggage to sort out. It's worth it, though, it truly is -- and not just from a dietary perspective.

Good luck to you, and congratulations for finding that strength to say that this time will be different!

Archived