Ketoacedosis in 10 year old?

Candy's Wonderland

My youngest son has been feeling sick every morning for the last 8 (or so) days. He feels weak and sick to the stomach and doesn't feel like eating. He's also very pale, so I can see he's not making things up; he says he has a strange flavor in his mouth and his breath smells. Then a few hours later he starts feeling better and would eat something and by noon he feels good again. My children are not paleo/primal yet, as they still eat some spelt pasta or rice (about once a week) and sourdough bread (approx. 3 slices/day). He eats meat, good fats, some veggies (although I wish he would eat more vegetables) and fruit (mainly tangerines and bananas). They don't eat (sweet) potatoes every day. He has been drinking more fruit juices and lemonade now because of the holidays (visiting people, going places - I don't keep soft drinks in the house).

When I researched his symptoms it looks a lot like ketoacidosis. My SIL also says her daughter used to have the same problem for a while as a child and they would give her coca cola in the morning and she would feel better. I have no intention at all to give my 10-y.o. coke every morning eek.png .

Does anyone recognize this? If yes, how can I treat this best, should he eat more carb-dense vegetables, less meat? Or should I just go see a doctor?

I've no idea if this is ketoacidosis or not but my personal advice would be, since he's a kid, if you're at all worried about his symptoms, get him checked out by a doc. Better safe than sorry. Once you know what's wrong or what it is, then you can decide how you want to treat it, medication, change of diet etc, but only a doctor can really make a diagnosis. Best of luck with it.

You could try giving him more carbs with his dinner or before he goes to bed and see if that helps. If your neice was the same but felt better after coke, maybe some fruit juice instead? Good luck with it, hope he's better soon.

I received this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketotic_hypoglycemia#Ketotic_hypoglycemia:_the_.22disease.22 and this is exactly what it looks like! His nights have been longer as usual, as we were on winter holiday and he's been sleeping in later. He has a slender build. He doesn't eat many carbs in the evening, mostly morning/lunch. So maybe I can try to up his carb intake in the evening with some potatoes. Yesterday I juiced 1 orange when he woke up, he had the juice immediately and felt fine afterwards. Today he's back to his normal routine: going to bed in time, waking up earlier and he didn't feel sick. I'm going to make sure he gets enough healthy carbs in the evening and will see what happens. If it doesn't get better soon, I WILL see a doctor, don't worry!

. Yesterday I juiced 1 orange when he woke up, he had the juice immediately and felt fine afterwards. Today he's back to his normal routine: going to bed in time, waking up earlier and he didn't feel sick.

Really pleased to hear he's doing better.

Archived