Hungry in Middle of the Night?

While it can take several days for your body to start getting the hang of the meals and eating schedule, especially if it's much different than what you typically ate prior to starting, it can also be a sign of not eating enough and/or not having appropriate content to hold you through the night. Check the Meal Template (https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf) for a good look at suggested amounts and types of food, but consider also giving some example(s) of what you've eaten throughout the day -- without examples, it's difficult for a mod (or anyone else) to give you any real feedback.

I can say that I absolutely have to have a starchy vegetable (size of 1-2 of my fists) with my last meal, else I struggle to fall asleep, sleep fitfully, and wake up feeling like I haven't rested at all. I generally rotate my starches so I don't get sick of any one thing (potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, and acorn squash are the norm around my house, though there are other starchy ones out there).

I know on Sunday I didn't eat enough, but my Monday food was as follows: 

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs, half avocado

Snack: Orange

Lunch: Sirloin steak with chimichurri, turnips and asparagus

Snack: Banana with Almond Butter

Dinner: Balsamic chicken, Roasted peppers and Sweet potato - this was probably the size of one fist vs. two if that so I will make sure to up that moving forward.

It makes sense, while I don't follow an Ayurvedic diet, I loosely pay attention to what I need for my dosha (vata) which is warm starchy vegetables.  Super interesting and thank you for your help!

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, 123Sisters said:

I know on Sunday I didn't eat enough, but my Monday food was as follows: 

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs, half avocado

Snack: Orange

Lunch: Sirloin steak with chimichurri, turnips and asparagus

Snack: Banana with Almond Butter

Dinner: Balsamic chicken, Roasted peppers and Sweet potato - this was probably the size of one fist vs. two if that so I will make sure to up that moving forward.

It makes sense, while I don't follow an Ayurvedic diet, I loosely pay attention to what I need for my dosha (vata) which is warm starchy vegetables.  Super interesting and thank you for your help!

You're  not eating enough.  Eggs when they are your sole source of protein in a meal should be as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping...for majority of people that starts at 3-4.  Or you can add other protein to the two eggs. Where are the veggies in your breakfast?

Your dinner didn't have any fat and it looks like you're probably short on veggies too unless you had 2 or 3 cups of roasted peppers which i doubt.  The fact that you're needing to snack between meals is a clear indication that you're not eating enough.  Fruit is recommended to be eaten with a meal, not on it's own as a snack and until you get your meals adjusted, if you need to snack, pick a mini meal of protein and fat instead of fruit and nuts/nut products (which are a fat but are not the best choice).

Also, nutrition is cummulative so if you've under eaten Sunday and also on Monday and then yesterday matched this, you're going to end up in a situation with cravings, waking hungry at night and really not feeling well.  Make sure you eat three meals a day matched to the template (linked in my signature below).

It's so hard to get used to eating giant meals in the beginning! I'm still eating a huge plate of veggie hash, some kind of meat and eggs every morning. I love being able to eat so much - in my previous dieting world I was only allowed to eat huge portions of salad and steamed vegetables - ugh. One of my favorites for breakfast is my leftover homemade potato salad - what a great start to my day! It does take awhile to allow yourself to eat a full plate of W30 compliant food (and seconds if you're still hungry!) but, once you do, your body really starts listening. 

I'm still losing weight (I haven't weighed myself since my almost 11lb loss after my W30 but my clothes are getting looser and looser) and I am loving food again. 

Hang in there @123Sisters Trust the process - follow the rules and EAT!!

• 4 weeks later...

One of the more difficult task of the W30 for me is taking in enough water.  My starting weight indicated a daily intake of 130 ounces... I was nowhere close to that. 

I was waking up at night with pangs.  My mind was telling me I was hungry when my body was actually thirsty.   I regular keep a couple of liters of coconut water in the fridge and take couple of large swigs if nighttime cravings come up.  Coconut water instead of plain water is a little treat in the wee hours to feed the mind and body to sidetrack the interpreted hunger for me.

Archived