Whole30 Daily Accountability

Notanewbie

Day 0... working on cleaning up my paleo-ish eating habits. Goal is to lose weight and generally be more aware of what I eat... starting tomorrow. I’m wondering if I might also be able to kick the coffee bean this month, too, since I’m not the biggest fan of coffee made without milk!

Today’s meal log: (NOT W30 compliant)

coffee with whole milk 

steamed salmon with lime

salad

turkey burgers made with parsely and onion

handful of gummy candy that my friend offered me

10 paleo bites from costco

bowl of tortilla soup (with beans)

41 minutes ago, Notanewbie said:

Day 0... working on cleaning up my paleo-ish eating habits. Goal is to lose weight and generally be more aware of what I eat... starting tomorrow. I’m wondering if I might also be able to kick the coffee bean this month, too, since I’m not the biggest fan of coffee made without milk!

Today’s meal log: (NOT W30 compliant)

coffee with whole milk 

steamed salmon with lime

salad

turkey burgers made with parsely and onion

handful of gummy candy that my friend offered me

10 paleo bites from costco

bowl of tortilla soup (with beans)

Trader Joe’s chocolate covered honey pecans... darn you Trader Joe’s! 

Day 0

Coffee with Milk

Steamed Salmon for breakfast

Then shared candy that my friends were enjoying on the tennis courts...  Can't decide how I feel about sharing candy with friends...  I guess if I go whole hog into W30, that's got to go...  I think I need a bigger "why" to get started... If I'm going to do this thing.  I'll be thinking on that today.  I'd love to lose some weight, but I don't know if it's worth not indulging in social time with people eating sweets...  I'll give it a day of thought...

Day 0 again because I really like milk in my coffee. I’ll give it one more shot today, and then who knows... 

Above the line - steamed salmon, eggs, avocado, salad, raspberries...

not sure: olives

below the line - candy, cheese and bread, French fries, chocolate honey pecans from Trader Joe’s 

Second cup of half decaf was made with homemade almond milk (almonds + water + cinnamon) and coconut creme (canned, from TJ’s)... still causes a bit of a tummy upset for me, so wondering if I should stick with whole milk else try it black else give coffee up entirely. 

Third cup of half decaf coffee was black... just to see if I could do it... even though it’s not supposed to be hard... haha

above the line:

steamed salmon

two boiled eggs

half avocado 

turkey burgers made with onion and parsley

celery

salad

raspberries

blueberries

black coffee

coffee with coconut creme and homemade almond milk (almonds, water, cinnamon)

below the line:

milk (in first coffee)

A1 sauce for turkey burgers

paleo brownie (mmmm...)

greek yogurt - 1/4 cup

1 tsp pero

Oh, yeah.  I just got home from a hot yoga class and NOW I remember how cool it is to have a regular-sized belly...  Dairy definitely bloats me - it was one of the first things I noticed when I weaned myself off W30 last time... Today, even just the difference between having milk in my coffee versus taking it black is motivation for me to do this thing.  I can do it.  Here I go!

Day 0 again...

Made it through to 4:00 PM last night, then spending time socializing got me.  I'm not sure how committed I want to be to going through another W30 because it makes social time strange and adds stress to eating and somehow makes me feel angry - I don't know if watching what I eat and having restrictions is a good idea for me.  It really affected my mood yesterday while I was with friends.  But worse than that, focusing on eating (and restricting what I was "allowing myself" to eat) motivated me to eat cruddy food that I wouldn't normally eat in the first place...  I ate some rice crackers and yogurt and a few slices of cheese and a piece of blackberry crumble at a buffet that we had.  And then I was like "eff it" and ate some pad thai and some cookies, which I wouldn't have eaten normally, anyway...  It's like to focus on what I was eating created a monster in me.  And then I was left feeling fat, angry, self-loathing, and heavier this morning than I was yesterday morning. 

I don't know.  My diet is really pretty clean at the moment, save milk in my coffee, full fat Greek yogurt at night,  and the odd sharing of non-compliant foods with my friends. But the fact is that I am 25 pounds overweight and I really prefer being skinny.  But I am healthy, energetic, athletic, and really don't ever have to think about what I eat.  I'm conflicted. I do want to lose weight, but I don't want to add stress to my life.  Lord knows, I need to reduce stress, not add to it!  So, my conflict is, what is more stressful to me - being overweight or obsessing about food and dealing with the ramifications of errors along a W30 trial?  Hm.

Yesterday, above the line:

Black coffee

Turkey burgers with onion and parsley

Raspberries

Blueberries

Celery

Hard Boiled Eggs

Avocado

Shredded coconut + coconut oil

Almonds

Below the line:

A-1 Sauce

Pero

Fortune cookie

Greek Yogurt, Milk, Honey

Pad Thai

Paleo Brownie

Buffet food - cheese, rice crackers, crumble bar, taste of Alouette

Maybe I can focus on changing one thing at a time - maybe I start with drinking my coffee black, since that seems to be a sticking point for me...  

Yesterday:

Compliant:

Chicken Curry

Hard boiled egg

Avocado

Raspberries

Blueberries

Almonds

Non-Compliant:

Chocolate chips

Handful of french fries

Slice of Toscano Cheese

Milk in coffee

Paleo brownie - cocoa powder, coconut sugar, coconut oil, egg

Cup of Wonton Soup

Cup of Hot and Sour soup

Paleo Bread - Almonds + eggs + Greek yogurt

Day 0

Compliant:

Strawberries

Salad

Hamburger patty

Almonds

Hard Boiled eggs and avocado

Turkey patties

Celery, carrots, cucumber

Non- Compliant:

Milk in coffee in the morning

Pei Wei spicy chicken - several pieces shared with my son

Cookies, pub mix and chocolate candy at a party

So, looking at my past week of eating, my pitfalls are (1) sharing food with my son, who is addicted to DOORDASH and (2) going to get togethers with my friends.  I'm actually basically on track when I'm on my own and prepping my own meals.

Last night, I even pre-ate before I went to my friend's house so that I didn't show up hungry after our tennis match, but somehow, I STILL ended up eating a crap load of cookies and chocolate and pub mix (and I don't even like pub mix!).  I suppose, to look on the bright side, I would have eaten even more, had I showed up hungry...  So, I need to have a plan for when my son orders delivery and when I meet up with my friends, both of which will be happening today.

I didn't feel tempted to eat delivery before I decided to try W30 again, so I should be able to resist now (I do get caught up in the food taboo monster when restricting my diet and eat things I wouldn't normally eat, just because I think I shouldn't)... maybe if I can have some almonds nearby so that I eat those instead.  And as far as my friends go, I was good yesterday and firstly, pre-ate a hamburger, and secondly, brought a bunch of sparkling water and just drank that all night long, so maybe I need to bring a bunch of compliant snacks for us and munch on those myself...  Today, I'll head to TJ's and pick up some W30 snacks and bring those to our gathering, along with some sparkling water and see if I can manage to get myself to eat just the stuff I bring...

Wishing me luck!

PS - I wonder if I need to get in the mindset of really loving the way my body feels on W30, or shifting my perspective on foods...  I recall that a very perfectionistic perspective on food helped me on my last W30, but I don't know how healthy it would be to assimilate that lens again...

Starting off Day 1 with black coffee.  I did lose a pound yesterday because I ate (mostly) compliant.  The things that helped were - preparing myself to not share fast food with my son and preparing for social time with my friends with compliant snacks. I know it works, I just need to get with it and be motivated and disciplined...  But not perfectionistic...  There's the rub for me...

Ok, half way through today... compliant so far, but found myself running out of energy... not sure if it was lack of sleep or lack of calories from yesterday... the only thing that’s different for me during the day before 4PM is no milk in my coffee... and that’s proving not to be too difficult. 

Compliant:

black coffee

steamed salmon

blueberries

raspberries

celery

hamburger patty with avocado and green chile

salad

non-compliant:

two paleo bites because I was really feeling hungry at 11:20 AM

OK, 8:30 PM and pretty much a compliant day, finally...

black coffee

steamed salmon

blueberries

raspberries

celery

hamburger patty with avocado and green chile

salad

2 soft boiled eggs

spoonful of almond butter

non-compliant:

(Only) two paleo bites (Costco) because I was really feeling hungry at 11:20 AM

Two slices Paleo bread (baked with almonds, flax, yogurt and eggs) because I was really hungry at 3:00

Pero throughout the afternoon alongside coffee because I was feeling hungry, even though I must not have been that hungry because the Pero was satisfying and it has like 5 calories

We'll see how I sleep tonight...  I am going to bed a bit hungry tonight

Yep, didn't fall asleep for two hours lying in bed last night and then woke up at 4:30 AM and couldn't go back to sleep.  It's going to be a rough day today.  Maybe I need to eat before bed...  but I wasn't uncomfortably hungry last night, and I had run out of compliant food options... IDK.

Slept like a baby last night.  Had 1/4 cup of full fat greek yogurt before bed and took two calcium/MG vitamin tablets.

Compliant:

Black coffee

Steamed Salmon

Salad

Raspberries

Blueberries

Celery

Almonds

Hamburger patty with avocado and green chile

Shredded coconut and coconut oil

2 x Hard boiled eggs

Cocoa Powder with coconut oil

Almonds, chia seeds, flax

Non Compliant:

Handful of blue corn chips

1/4 cup full fat plain greek yogurt (at night, for sleep)

1 tsp honey

1 tsp coconut sugar

1 tsp maple syrup

2 tbsp Pero

Archived