Whole30 Log-- Day 1 Struggles (advice appreciated)

deuxieme

Well, Day 1 came early, as I was super excited to start.

Meal 1-- 3 eggs with salad (lettuce, carrot, celery), an apple, and coffee with almond milk. This was super good, and I was very proud of myself for using oil instead of a cooking spray.

After I worked out for an hour at the gym, I grabbed around six pecans, a Brazil nut, and two stalks of celery for a snack. Not the most balanced, but I am at my parent's house (college student on spring break).

Meal 2-- chicken breast with green beans, around 10 grapes, olive oil, and coffee with almond milk. I felt good about this meal again, even putting oil as a dressing on my vegetables. I was still pretty hungry after finishing, so about three hours later I had an apple with sunflower seed butter.

And then things went downhill. My parents had planned a meal of steak, potatoes, salad, and asparagus, all compliant. I have been nervous about the steak all day, but was really trying to get comfortable with it. I made a salad and then started prepping the asparagus, dressing it in oil. All the sudden I started freaking out again about the oil and the grease on the steak. I spent a ridiculous amount of time wiping the oil off the asparagus and then put cheese on the asparagus so I could not have it. In the midst of this, I am near a panic attack from all the oil/fat of the coming meal. Long story short, I am going to make something beside the steak for protein tonight and will have green beans instead of asparagus.

My question-- should I really try to continue this? I wanted to help my gastro issues and also push myself to eat foods (potatoes! Oil! Beef!) I am scared of-- and it's only day one and I am having bad anxiety. I want to push through, but is this a bad decision that will reawaken restrictive thoughts I thought were gone?

• Moderators

Do you have a therapist or counselor you can talk to? You may want to talk to them about this, it does sound like you have some thoughts that are going to make doing a whole30 very difficult and possibly not the best choice right now. 

@ShannonM816 I do not; thank you for replying. I made it through my first day yesterday well enough after the struggles around dinner and am going to try again today. I really want to make this through!

I did notice that I cannot seem to make it without snacks. While I was in the weight restoration phase of recovery (which, I'll be honest, was only a few months ago) I had to eat three meals and three snacks. I found yesterday that I can eat what I feel is a good amount, but I feel shaky, weak, and lightheaded if I try to go without a snack. Last night I tried to not eat after dinner, but ended up needing an orange and an egg.

Am I not eating enough at meals, or do I just need to "power through" the weak/shaky feelings? I guess considering it's the start of day 2 it's a bit too early to tell.

• Moderators

Shaky and light headed sounds like probably not enough food, or not the right mix of foods. Not salting foods can cause it too, but it would usually take more than a couple of days for it to show up if it was that.

If you need to eat more than three meals, that is fine. Three meals and no snacks is a recommendation, not a rule, so you won't be messing up your whole30 eating more often. It can be hard to transition from eating several smaller meals throughout the day to just eating three larger ones.

So, in your initial post above, you seem worried about eating fat. A lot of people who come from a mindset of calorie restriction have issues with adding fat. However, fat plays a key part in eating this way. It helps to keep you satisfied longer, so you are less likely to need to eat between meals. It's also necessary for your body to process fat-soluble vitamins, vitamins A, D, E, and K -- so no matter how healthy you're eating, if you don't have an adequate amount of fat in your diet, your body can't use those particular vitamins. I don't know if saying this helps at all, but there are logical reasons to eat a portion or two of healthy fat at each meal.

Day Two Log:

Breakfast-- 3 eggs, salad of lettuce, green beans, and tomato, apple, celery with sunflower butter, and coffee with almond milk. Had not planned to have the celery and almond butter but was shaky and lightheaded.

Lunch-- chicken with zucchini "noodles", 1/2 a cucumber, asparagus and a small red potato all dressed with homemade chimichurri as well as grapes and coffee with almond milk. Doing some better in terms of shakiness/dizziness

Post run, I had a carrot with sunflower butter, an egg white mini frittata, and some grapes. As I noticed bloating, I think I may be eating too much fruit and plan to cut back tomorrow.

Dinner-- coffee with almond milk, ground beef, shredded cabbage, celery, and sunflower butter (cheap facsimile of an "egg roll in a bowl" recipe). I am currently feeling all right and hoping the cabbage will sit all right with my stomach. 

Overall, today has mentally been easier than yesterday. @ShannonM816 Thank you so much for answering my questions. I found eating fat easier today, and I am actually really proud of myself for cooking my food in oil, not cooking spray, for the first time in years. I am just trying this a day at a time. 

1 hour ago, deuxieme said:

Day Two Log:

Breakfast-- 3 eggs, salad of lettuce, green beans, and tomato, apple, celery with sunflower butter, and coffee with almond milk. Had not planned to have the celery and almond butter but was shaky and lightheaded.

Lunch-- chicken with zucchini "noodles", 1/2 a cucumber, asparagus and a small red potato all dressed with homemade chimichurri as well as grapes and coffee with almond milk. Doing some better in terms of shakiness/dizziness

Post run, I had a carrot with sunflower butter, an egg white mini frittata, and some grapes. As I noticed bloating, I think I may be eating too much fruit and plan to cut back tomorrow.

Dinner-- coffee with almond milk, ground beef, shredded cabbage, celery, and sunflower butter (cheap facsimile of an "egg roll in a bowl" recipe). I am currently feeling all right and hoping the cabbage will sit all right with my stomach. 

Overall, today has mentally been easier than yesterday. @ShannonM816 Thank you so much for answering my questions. I found eating fat easier today, and I am actually really proud of myself for cooking my food in oil, not cooking spray, for the first time in years. I am just trying this a day at a time. 

Edit: Still hungry, so I also had an egg, more cabbage, a bit of sunflower butter, a small potato, and a bit of chimichurri. Not sure why I am so hungry.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Hi duexieme! I second the professional help, especially since you come from a disordered eating background. The therapist can help you work through issues as well as tweaking the Whole30 meal template to better suit you. There are no "good" and "bad" foods, just fuel that works better for you, and fuel that doesn't work as well. 

Since you exercised, you may have not eaten enough in total, thus the hunger. It's good that you are recognizing hunger, and fueling yourself with a mini-meal. 

Day Three Log:

Breakfast: 3 eggs, 1 potato, asparagus, and chimichurri sauce (loving the chimichurri!) with coffee and almondmilk. Feeling pretty good and satisfied.

Post workout, I was feeling pretty nauseated and dizzy, so I had an orange, a handful of grapes, and a egg white mini frittata. 

Lunch: chicken with zoodles, ½ cucumber, carrot, chimichurri, grapes, coffee, almond milk. Pretty good.

I was super proud of myself because I managed to not eat a snack this afternoon, which I always do, but I honestly think I do need my afternoon snack because I was so hungry I had dinner a half hour early and ate MUCH more than I had planned.

Dinner: Ground beef with cabbage and sunflower butter, more cabbage, two carrots with more sunflower butter (edit: make that three. I am SO hungry), a small piece of chicken, grapes, and a potato with chimichurri. I am still really hungry but I have already eaten so much. I really regret not having that afternoon snack right now. I don't think I am able/ready to give it up. Just frustrates me that I always seem to need to eat SO MUCH. I was really mindful today to try to drink more water and work on something for a while to make sure I was really hungry... I am just so hungry so often and feel bad that I cannot stick to 3 meals.

Day Four Log:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, potato, asparagus, chimichurri, coffee with almond milk

So... today has been rough. I planned to go on a run (which did not happen), but only walked for about 1 hour this morning. I was tired and nauseated and grouchy... I ended up also eating two carrots with a bunch of sunflower butter. Really feeling guilty for not just sticking to the schedule. Tuesdays and Thursdays are hard due to my class schedule being right during mealtimes (class is from 11-2 and then again from 5:30-7) but that is not an excuse to overeat carrots and sunflower butter. I am really struggling with guilt about this, but trying to just move on.

I feel like I overate, but not because my stomach hurts or anything. More like I ate more than I thought I should have. I am not sure whether it's possible to eat too much without feeling like you have overeaten?

Lunch: ground beef with cabbage, an egg, coffee with almond milk. No fat because I had plenty in my carrot/sunflower butter snack.

During class I had extreme cramps from my gastro issues and was incredibly weak and shaky.

Snack/Dinner: Orange, potato with a bit of chimichurri, egg white frittata, chicken, salsa, zoodles, 1/2 cucumber, salsa, carrot with sunflower butter, and coffee with almond milk. I honestly still feel somewhat hungry. My emotions have been a wreck today, my stomach has been cramping and bloated, I have been having headaches... Not my best day. Really beating myself up for not running, but plan to do some light weightlifting after tonight's class. 

On your run days how much/how vigorous do you run?  Just wondering since on the day you say you couldn't run, you still walked for an hour-  wondering how much you run on the run days, maybe it has something to do with the dizzy, lightheadedness.

Are you eating pre/post workout snacks?

As far as the guilt goes, it sounds like that probably has something to do with you past eating issues, but we ALL deal with that at least a little.   For me, that is part of what I want to address and deal with during my whole 30.  So far I'm kind of trying to just listen to my thoughts and learn.  I tell myself, right now my job is to stick to the plan and assess results at the end.  I can get very obsessed with measurable progress, so for me the not weighing and trusting the method (or whatever you want to call it) is way more than half the battle.

Personally, and i am NOT an expert, If I were you I would try to do my best but not worry about the quantity of whole healthy foods as much... you're obviously very active and considering past issues, volume restriction is probably not a healthy place.  Just my thoughts!  ;)  Good luck!

4 hours ago, deuxieme said:

Day Four Log:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, potato, asparagus, chimichurri, coffee with almond milk

So... today has been rough. I planned to go on a run (which did not happen), but only walked for about 1 hour this morning. I was tired and nauseated and grouchy... I ended up also eating two carrots with a bunch of sunflower butter. Really feeling guilty for not just sticking to the schedule. Tuesdays and Thursdays are hard due to my class schedule being right during mealtimes (class is from 11-2 and then again from 5:30-7) but that is not an excuse to overeat carrots and sunflower butter. I am really struggling with guilt about this, but trying to just move on.

I feel like I overate, but not because my stomach hurts or anything. More like I ate more than I thought I should have. I am not sure whether it's possible to eat too much without feeling like you have overeaten?

Lunch: ground beef with cabbage, an egg, coffee with almond milk. No fat because I had plenty in my carrot/sunflower butter snack.

During class I had extreme cramps from my gastro issues and was incredibly weak and shaky.

Snack/Dinner: Orange, potato with a bit of chimichurri, egg white frittata, chicken, salsa, zoodles, 1/2 cucumber, salsa, carrot with sunflower butter, and coffee with almond milk. I honestly still feel somewhat hungry. My emotions have been a wreck today, my stomach has been cramping and bloated, I have been having headaches... Not my best day. Really beating myself up for not running, but plan to do some light weightlifting after tonight's class. 

Ended up going on my run and eating chicken, 1/2 a cucumber, and a bit of a carrot.

@lacyjean I try not to track how many miles I run because that has become an obsession in the past, but I would estimate probably around 3.5-4 miles in 30 minutes when I run, so not too much. I do want to try increasing the time I run but am slowly building up to it.

I eat breakfast before I run and a snack, usually egg whites with some veggies or fruit, afterward. And you are right-- I am fueling my body for activity with healthy food. I can't expect to suddenly have much lower energy needs because I am now eating more vegetables and no oatmeal; my body still needs energy, and that is probably why I seem to be eating more fat recently. I am going to try to adhere more to the given plan tomorrow, but am definitely going to allow myself to snack (especially between lunch and dinner. Learned that the hard way).

Thank you so much for being supportive.

Day Five Log:

Preworkout: an egg and an orange. Still kind of hungry but got through my workout. Every muscle in my body feels sore today, but my mood is MUCH better than yesterday.

Breakfast: 2 eggs, potato, asparagus, chimichurri, coffee with almond milk. Five days and still loving this breakfast, but found I was still kind of hungry.

Lunch: ground beef, cabbage, and sunflower butter, more cabbage with sunflower butter, 2 tiny potatoes (like... together they did not cover my palm) with chimichurri, coffee with almond milk. Extremely hungry still.

After lunch was weird. Before Whole30, I did not eat sugar or sweetener except in Gatorade when I was dehydrated, so maybe once a month or so. All the sudden this afternoon, I started craving sugar/carbs, such as oatmeal and especially chocolate. I haven't even eaten chocolate in two years. Not sure what to make of that. I ended up snacking on a carrot and sunflower butter and an egg.

Dinner: chicken, zoodles, chimichurri, 1/2 cucumber, and coffee with almond milk. Probably going to end up eating more later. My concentration today has been horrible.

Pre-run: 1 egg and 1 orange.

Breakfast: ground beef, cabbage, sunflower butter, almond milk, and coffee with almond milk. The run was really hard today-- all my muscles feel dead.

Lunch: 2 eggs, potato, asparagus, 1/2 cucumber, chimichurri, and coffee with almond milk.

Snack: small potato with chimichurri, small (1/2 palm size) portion of chicken, cabbage, salsa, almond milk. My cravings have switched to, of all things, almond milk.

Dinner: chicken, zoodles, chimichurri, coffee with almond milk. I may also have another 1/2 cucumber and a bit more coffee or almond milk later.

Pre-gym: 1 orange, 1 egg, a bit of sunflower butter

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 potato, chimichurri, 1/2 cucumber, and coffee with almond milk

Lunch: chicken, zoodles, chimichurri, 3 stalks asparagus, 1/2 cucumber, small potato with chimichurri, coffee with almond milk. 

Snack: 1 egg, 1/2 cucumber

Dinner: chicken, zoodles, salsa, sunflower butter, potato, coffee with almond milk. 

I don't think I should end up having anything else, but I have a test tonight and that sometimes makes me hungry.

Breakfast: ground beef, potato with chimichurri, 1/2 cucumber, coffee with almond milk.

Snack: 1/2 cucumber, guacamole, tiny piece of chicken

Lunch: chicken, kale, salsa, 1/2 cucumber, guacamole, coffee with almond milk

Snack: potato with a bit of chimichurri

Dinner: 2 eggs, a tiny piece of chicken, 1/2 cucumber with guacamole, tomato soup, coffee with almond milk, coconut water.

Feeling sick and may have a snack later. Yesterday I was worn out from a tough test on Friday and did not log; however, my meals were compliant.

Archived