Kaleena's Whole30 Log!

Kaleena

It's great to see another vegetarian/pescatarian doing W30. Thanks for posting your meals, I'm about to start working out again this week and I'm going to need to add in the snacks so I'm getting great ideas from you. BTW, I haven't been doing any workouts so far, and I'm on Day 14, so don't look at my meals for comparison because I wouldn't be eating enough for that added activity.

Also wanted to let you know that I went through some similar hurdles to yours as I got to this point. I'm feeling great now with 3 meals a day but struggled in the beginning at limiting myself to 3 meals. I ate way too much nut butter in the beginning as a result. But, I didn't eat anything that wasn't on the list. Seems like in the past 3 days I finally stopped wanting to eat a snack at night or in the afternoon too. I also work from home so I pushed my breakfast out to a little later in the morning so the gap between breakfast and lunch wouldn't be so great. That helped alot.

Lol, I ate too much nut butter as well. Now that I'm having it right before I work out I really don't want any for the rest of the day. I work from home too. I'm going to try pushing breakfast a bit. After my post workout snack I do feel I could wait a bit but I'm such a creature of habit. :P

Good luck getting back into working out!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 12

Still having trouble sleeping through the night. I think it finally caught up with me and I had my first nap in over a week. My energy levels seem lower today and I'm bloated again. Or maybe I'm just putting on weight *looks around in wild fear*

I did have a nice workout this morning though before I had time to realize how tired I was.

The good news is that my skin has been feeling incredibly smooth and it looks like I have a tan. I noticed on my own but without prompting my husband said that I'm so lucky to still have colour in the winter and I mentioned that I think it's from the diet. He said he noticed he looks, "less like death" lately. That's always good! Now if I'd only stop breaking out!

We went to the mall today for some shopping and man, after an hour I had to go home. There was just too much temptation. The smells, seeing the places I'd normally grab a treat. It was all too much. I came home feeling kinda cranky. Anyway, onward to the food:

(coffee with coco milk, macadamia nut butter, egg white and pumpkin pre and post workout)

Breakfast

-Exact same as yesterday (salmon fillet, hard boiled egg, 1/2 avocado, steamed kale)

Lunch

-Can of salmon mixed with 1 egg and a tablespoon of pumpkin and pan fried in probably too much coco oil.

-Steamed broccoli slaw with sea salt

-Some blackberries

Dinner (haven't had yet but this is the plan)

-Curried tilapia with broccoli cauli and carrots

-Pan fried plantains.

I still feel like I'm eating too much but at the same time not enough. I know that's really hard to explain. I'm still hungry before meals and probably thinking about food too much but at the same time the fat...Oh the fat.

I'll just put either a Larabar or (not both) Iranian dates here just in case I slip into the cupboards. I have a huge sewing project to tackle tonight though so I'm going to use it as a distraction and see how I do.

Day 13

Feeling a little woozy after a 90 minute hot yoga class. After the first standing pose and having my leg feel like it was quite literally on fire, I realized that maybe I was not up for such a class...Too late!

Of course I also ran 45 minutes today at a faster pace than usual, including a couple of intervals, danced 20 and did an hour of cleaning. I hope it helps me sleep at least.

Good News

I stayed in bed last night and didn't have to relocate to the couch at 6 am. I woke up but managed to get back to sleep until 8. Hopefully this improves.

I've been sticking to a bit of pre and post AM workout food. Today I switched post from egg to bit of canned salmon. Then:

Meal 1

I actually didn't feel like breakfast food today. I felt like a lunch for breakfast

-rest of my can of salmon, 1 egg, bit of pumpkin and seasoning fried in coconut oil. Served with salsa and mustard. Served over..

-Steamed broccoli slaw

Meal 2

-Sweet potato and salsa

-1/2 can tuna mixed with 1/2 avocado, celery, mustard and spices. Serviced over

-Steamed broccoli slaw, kale and bell peppers

Meal 3

-I plan on making fish soup with cod, onion, organic broth, broccoli slaw, kale, green beans, celery, carrots and tomato.

Probably a Larabar..lol

I will end this post with a few realizations

-I may need to retire my small "lunch" plates. I'm haven't used one in days.

-Produce is HEAVY! I go grocery shopping everyday on foot. I'm going to have a muscular left shoulder!

-I really want this to work out so that the Whole30 can become a Whole(most of)365 days a year minus the times and occasions when I really want something outside of the program.

Day 14

I just came back from the grocery store and almost fainted with...WANT! I was jokingly thinking to myself that this program will either change my eating habits forever or cause the biggest binge in the history of over-consumption. I am just kidding you know.

I finished reading, "It Starts with Food" last night and read about the reintroduction period....Although, would it be so wrong to celebrate with a glass of wine? Ah, what am I thinking, I'm not even half way. I shouldn't even be thinking about this!

Good News

In between periods of bloat I do feel like my stomach is looking better. Not really smaller, mind you, but more toned. I'm definitely okay with that. I stayed in bed again last night but I'm still waking up and having trouble sleeping again.

My workout today was lame because my hamstrings are killing from that yoga class and I woke feeling sluggish. I had my pre and post workout snacks (can hardly be called a meal, it's just too early for me)

and then..

Meal 1

-Tuna patty (1 can of tuna, 1 egg, pumpkin, fried in coconut oil)

-Steamed broccoli slaw, cauliflower, broccoli and carrots

-Remaining hard boiled egg I ate around post workout..lol

Meal 2

-Weird Salmon/egg bake (turned out really good) made with 1 can of salmon, 2 eggs, bell peppers and pumpkin. I split this with my husband.

-1/2 avocado with salsa in the pit hole

-Sauerkraut

Meal 3 (plan)

-I found an organic pasta sauce with no sugars or preservatives so I'll heat that up and service it over

-Baked cod fillet

-Steamed beets, carrot and brussel sprouts.

probably a Lara Bar

I'm actually finding this program to be EXPENSIVE! As a former vegetarian I found I could eat extremely cheap! Now that I'm eating fish I'm blown away by my daily grocery bill!

I don't even dine out much (once a week for sushi and it costs 20 for 2) and we bought a bottle of wine (or two) a week so there's nothing to really say well I'm not doing this anymore so...It actually IS more expensive! I'm trying to think up ways to make this lifestyle more economical so I don't feel like I'm gutting my bank account every time I buy food.

This could also bring me to a rant about how the unhealthiest foods are the cheapest. It amazes me that I could buy a whole box of cookies for the price of a bell pepper. Unbelievable!

Hey Kaleena,

Happy to hear that your bloat is going down!

Are you only eating fish, or are you eating other meats as well? Even in Boston, I find fish to be the least affordable protein for me, if I want to get it sustainably. The only exception is lobster in the summer, when it drops to 4.99/lb (and then I sing from the rooftops)

You may be able to cut down on the grocery bills in a couple of ways:

1) Buy your veggies frozen. They're as nutritious as fresh (sometimes more so, actually!), and much cheaper.

2) Buy in bulk. Do you guys have wholesale clubs like Costco's up in Toronto? That's been a good option for me historically.

3) Grow some of your own veggies. Greens like spinach/chard/kale are super easy to do, even indoors in containers during the winter.

Hey Kaleena,

Happy to hear that your bloat is going down!

Are you only eating fish, or are you eating other meats as well? Even in Boston, I find fish to be the least affordable protein for me, if I want to get it sustainably. The only exception is lobster in the summer, when it drops to 4.99/lb (and then I sing from the rooftops)

You may be able to cut down on the grocery bills in a couple of ways:

1) Buy your veggies frozen. They're as nutritious as fresh (sometimes more so, actually!), and much cheaper.

2) Buy in bulk. Do you guys have wholesale clubs like Costco's up in Toronto? That's been a good option for me historically.

3) Grow some of your own veggies. Greens like spinach/chard/kale are super easy to do, even indoors in containers during the winter.

Only fish. This is my first time eating animal products other than eggs, which I only used to eat very rarely. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll buy some frozen veggies. That way they'll be cut too!

I don't have a car or a Costco membership but my Mom does. I'll make a list of things she can pick up for me...Even though she'll think I'm really strange for wanting a giant case of tuna..lol

As for growing, also an excellent suggestion. I'll consider that again in the spring and hope I don't still have the same brown thumb that I used to.

Day 15!!! Half way, Baby!

I was reading up on bloating last night and it does seem that it's extremely common to experience it if you have suddenly increased veggie intake. *points at self* So I'm going to stop moaning about being bloated and just hope my bod adapts soon to this wholesome deliciousness.

Before the meals for today, I have to say, my dinner last night was shockingly fantastic. This was the steamed carrots, beets and asparagus and baked cod topped with tomato sauce. OMGG NOM NOM. This will be my husband's new Thursday night meal to prep when I'm out dancing until past 9pm.

I slept better last night, my legs are hurting less, I have more energy again. And the soft skin *rubs arms and legs* is a definite plus! I just ate my lunch and feel extremely FULL. I will probably have to re-work portions soon but is it so wrong to want to eat a ton of yummy stuff?

Anyway,

I had my pre-workout macadamia nut butter but had to take an easy run despite the mental energy because one hammy is still telling me to take it easy. So 40 minute easy run, 20 minutes dance and consecutive planks and side planks til I could do no more. Had some canned pumpkin and salmon before hopping into the shower. I actually had the energy to blow dry my hair and put on eyeliner!

Meal 1

Salmon patty made with rest of the canned salmon an egg and pumpkin. Pan fried in coco oil

Steamed broccoli slaw (could be a serious cause of bloat)

Meal 2

Small sweet potato with salsa

1/2 can tuna, mixed with 1/2 avocado and mustard. <---Delicious. Served over

Steamed coleslaw and kale

with a side of sauerkraut and 5 big blackberries.

This meal will be my fuel for a 40 minute fast walk to the dance studio and then an hour and a half intense class.

Meal 3 (plan)

Thai shrimp curry made with 1/2 pound of shrimp, some stir fry veggies, 1/4 can of coco milk and red curry paste.

I'm totally stoked about the shrimp because 1. I only tried shrimp for the first time last Friday and loved it and 2. It's on sale from 13.99 per pound to 5.99. I had to return a can of crab because it had sulfates in it ($6!) so I feel like I'm eating free shrimp. That's my logic anyway.

I hope everyone else out there is having a great Whole30 today!

I'll have to try some of your fish recipes--the cod with marinara sauce sounds good. Fish is pricey! I hear you on the grocery bills...spending so much more than when veg. My big concern with eating so much fish is all the mercury scares, thoughts?

I'll have to try some of your fish recipes--the cod with marinara sauce sounds good. Fish is pricey! I hear you on the grocery bills...spending so much more than when veg. My big concern with eating so much fish is all the mercury scares, thoughts?

I think most of those theories have been debunked. I hope so because I sure do eat a lot of fish these days. Especially canned tuna because it is convenient!

Day 16

It is only 4:30pm and today has already been a test of patience and control. I woke to a dream about eating chocolate. I felt panicked until I realized it was only a dream...And then I wanted chocolate.

I checked my email to discover a whole pile of work that had to be started yesterday. *cortisol levels rise* I missed the post as they were trying to deliver a new dance costume I ordered. I realized I can't find my ID to pick it up. Then I discovered my main work email has been phished and all of my contacts have been receiving spam in my name. It's just...a crazy day and I'm falling back to the same meals, and even those are seeming time consuming and annoying. I need some inspiration and I'll have to find the time to look up recipes and figure something out really soon.

My hamstring is feeling better so I had macadamia butter pre-workout (makes me phelmy but I like it anyway) and canned salmon and pumpkin post.

Meal 1

Same as yesterday

Meal 2

Same as yesterday except steamed kale, cauli and broccoli instead of the coleslaw

Meal 3 (plan)

Steamed carrots, brussel sprouts and peppers

baked tilapia

Pasta sauce

I have 3 hours of dance tonight so I'll take a hard boiled egg and some dates to hold me over and give me some energy. We're rehearsing for a performance next Friday and that is already raising stress levels. Not just the performance itself but backstage is always filled with junk. My plan is to bring my own food and to watch the tech rehearsals to keep my mind off it. So far I've been feeling like the Whole30 is making me slightly avoid social situations. I hope that evens out soon.

My husband is picking up kimchi tonight from Little Korea. Yum! At least that will add something different to the mix.

Day 17

I had to get up at 5:30 am to work today so this was my first time having to eat an extra meal, and eating super early. I ate a teaspoon of macadamia nut butter, did a 30 minute interval run (never had the energy to add intensity so early before), 10 minutes of dance and crunches. I decided to skip the post workout.

Meal 1

2 egg omelet with pumpkin puree and cinnamon on the side

Side of Kimchi...yes, early in the morning. I love that vile stuff.

Eating a moderately hearty breakfast sure kept me more satisfied than the cottage cheese and yogurt I used to eat on my early mornings. I had the energy to come home, dance some more and look desperately (and found) my missing passport. Yay!

Meal 2

Salmon patty (1 egg, 1 can of salmon and pumpkin)

Coleslaw

Kimchi...lol

Today was one of my first dietary scares. I had a friend/business acquaintance come over to talk shop and the idea of going out for Thai came up. I didn't want to seem like a weirdo and thought at first, I could find something compliant on the menu. Then I started to have my doubts. You just never know what food joints put in their food, you know? Fortunately friend was really quite good about it and pretty much insisted I just make what I had planned. I shared and he seemed pretty impressed by the variety of foods and flavors in a fast meal.

Meal 3

Sweet potato topped with kimchi...I'll give it a rest tomorrow, I swear!

avocado and tuna salad (1/2 can tuna, 1/2 avocado)

Steamed broccoli, cauliflower and carrots with sea salt.

2 dates

The plan for tonight was to have a green curry and vegetable tilapia stir fry. I'm wondering if I'll be hungry enough. If not, I have some Brazil nuts and raisins (sulfate free, organic) stashed away.

Good News

i received a new dance costume today and I'm definitely looking more toned and feeling confident : )

I did have a wicked breakout sometime last week but it hasn't become any worse. I'm hoping that it's going to clear up now. When I was eating a mostly grain free diet prior to January my skin was crystal clear so I know it's possible for me. It was only when I started eating more sugar again that I went back to teenage face.

Well, it's Friday night so ...Yay! I hope everyone out there will have a fun (and compliant :P ) evening.

Day 18

I don't know about anybody else but as I approach the 2/3 point it's becoming hard to stay strong. The funny thing is that it IS because I'm seeing and feeling the benefits mentally and physically. A part of me wants to say, okay this is great, I'll eat like this most of the time but umm..Can I have some chocolate now? I've been so good these past few weeks.

No, no. I will hang on but damn, I miss cream in my coffee...and chocolate! Lol.

In more reflection, this has been by far not a perfect Whole30 by any means (snack at night, too many Brazil nuts and raisins last night and the plantain chips and salsa I will shamelessly eat tonight) but I'm learning a lot and this is SERIOUSLY reducing my weekend intake and eliminating my weekend hangover...:P

I had a great workout this morning. 45 minute intervals, 30 minutes dance and planks.

Meal 1

-Pan friend salmon fillet

-1/2 avocado, pit hole filled with salsa

-steamed mix of carrot broccoli and cauli

I went out grocery shopping, came home and danced about 20 more minutes and then I went downtown to buy some metallic silver shorts for my new costume. I came home with an appetite and consequently made too much food.

Meal 2

-Salmon patties (recipe from It Starts with Food. These turned out really good except I forgot how calorie dense almond meal is. Oops...made too much food)

-1/4 avocado

-steamed brussel sprouts and kale

-3 blackberries

-A bit of both kimchi and sauerkraut.

I read for an hour and the combination of good book and feeling I had just ate Thanksgiving dinner made me fall asleep for an hour. Oh well, at least it's Saturday.

Meal 3 (Plan)

-Shrimp stir fry with...

-mushroom and mixed bell pepper

-Served over cauli rice

Oh man, I had so much to do today and completely blew everything off. Hopefully I have more energy tomorrow. I think I burned myself out with all that dancing and running early in the day.

Day 19

Today has been a typical lazy Sunday. And it's cold! After grocery shopping I didn't leave the house. I feel like I've been eating lighter today, especially because dinner isn't suppose to be for another hour and a half and I'm already getting hungry. I did do a lot of dance practice today and I just woke from a nap. That tends to give me an appetite.

I had my macadamia nut butter before working out. I still find it funny that 1. It's the only thing I could imagine eating first thing 2. How using it as a pre-workout has prevented me from digging into the jar during the rest of the day and 3. How much of a boost it gives me.

I didn't even have anything on hand for post workout so I hopped in the shower and made meal 1 sooner than usual.

Meal 1

Salmon fillet pan fried

leftover cauli rice and kimchi

1/2 avocado and salsa

Meal 2

Cauli rice and kimchi (made more rice)

tuna salad (1/2 can avocado, 1/4 avo, 1/2 hard boiled egg, celery, mustard, spices)

5 blackberries

Meal 3 (plan)

-1/2 acorn squash baked (I think I'll bake the seeds too)

-tilapia baked

-coco milk, onion, pepper and mushroom curry

I'll probably end up having a Larabar because I think I'm going to have an early dinner. I do have a dance performance on Friday so it is essential that I take very good care of myself this week. I might even set an alarm to remind myself to drink water every couple of hours. A big reason for wanting to try the Whole30 is for better mental clarity and athletic performance. So here's hoping that by Friday I'm on the ball!

Day 20! 2/3 of the way!

I'm "enjoying" my herbal tea (want normal tea with milk, please) and researching new recipes for the week.

Even though the day started out with a lot of energy (steady state run faster than normal pace for 40 minutes and 20 or so dance practice) I felt the rush die down in the afternoon. Of course, I also ran around for errands, cleaned an hour, went out for a second round of groceries and eyebrow waxing etc. Sometimes I forget that "life stuff" can be draining. I wanted to hit up a yoga class this evening but the bod just wasn't feeling it. Maybe tomorrow...

Meal 1

Salmon patty (1 can salmon, 1 egg, scoop of pumpkin) topped with salsa and mustard

Side of broccoli slaw

hard boiled egg

Meal 2

Salmon cakes (It starts with food recipe) but I made double and baked it in a casserole dish. It turned out really good and now I have leftovers for Friday night when I'm backstage and need a dinner.

Side of baby bok choy and broccoli

5 black berries

Meal 3 (plan)

Mixed seafood in pasta sauce

Served over steamed asparagus, carrot and Brussel sprouts

Snack

Larabar

I have my 5:30 am wake up tomorrow (personal training client) I was so pleased on Friday with feeling full well after getting back home, and having more energy for such an early workout.

Actually, on Friday I was pretty stoked about the way my body is starting to look but then alas, monthly times arrived on Saturday and I've been feeling pretty squishy since. Let's hope that's all that it is and that I'm feeling confident again in a few days.

Day 21

I did a 5:30 wake up this morning and immediately hit the treadmill for 30 and followed with 15 dance and abs. I skipped post meal since I'd be eating soon enough anyway.

Meal 1

Scrambled egg whites

1/2 avocado with salsa

Btw, I'm finding I'm eating plenty of whole eggs and with the avocado wanted the protein minus fat. So don't hate..lol

I went to a training appointment, came home and danced for about 20 minutes or so until my husband needed the office/workout room.

Meal 2

Salmon patty (1 egg, 1 can salmon, scoop of pumpkin)

broccoli slaw

a bit of sauerkraut

After an hour I fell asleep because I didn't sleep well last night. I'm feeling kind of fat again and lacking energy, which is making me cranky. Especially the week of a performance. Gah! I wanted to go to yoga today but I haven't been recovering well and I'm worried it would mess up my next 2 nights of rehearsals and leave me totally drained for Friday. I WANT ENERGY! I'm actually wondering how much of my pre-Whole30 energy was fueled by coffee!

Meal 3

Sweet potato fries

tuna salad (1/2 can tun, 1/4 avocado, 1/2 hard boiled egg)

Steamed asparagus and baby bok choy

Meal 4 (plan)

Shrimp curry made with 1 pound shrimp, 1/2 can diced t's, tomato paste, 1/2 can coconut milk, carrot, bell pepper, Indian spices. (will be split between 2)

Meal 5 (otherwise known as snack)

Larabar

I have been enjoying eating this way and I feel nourished. I just wish I felt stronger and more toned up!

Day 22

I'm updating early today because soon I'll be off to my 1st of third dress rehearsals for the show on Friday. I have to say, I had a terrible stomach ache this morning for the first time since the beginning of the Whole30. It could have been the curry (new recipe) from last night or the very old Nighty Night tea I tried last night before bed. Either way, I've been feeling rather off today. I hope my rehearsal goes well despite it.

I did my pre and post snack (I can still hardly call it a meal) and did a 45 minute run and then choreo practice. I tried on my troupe costume today and I'm not impressed. I know 3 weeks is no indication of long-term success but man, I have a real stubborn spot on my stomach that razzes me. How clean do I have to eat?

Meal 1

-Salmon Patty

-Broccoli slaw

-hard boiled egg

I find I can eat the same meal 1 pretty regularly. I used to eat oatmeal, egg whites and raw honey or a high protein pancake (egg white, yogurt or cottage cheese and oats) every day. It's only dinner that I like variety with.

Meal 2

-Salmon cakes

-Broccoli

-Sweet potato and salsa

I decided to skip kimchi or sauerkraut today because my stomach is iffy.

Meal 3 (plan)

-Fish and veggie soup made with sole, baby bok choy, carrot, broccoli slaw, onion, celery, yellow bell pepper and seasoned with pepper, crushed chilies and bay leaves.

Larabar.

I have to wake up early again tomorrow so I'm looking froward to coming home tonight and unwinding after dinner with a god book.

Day 24

Updating early again because I'll be off to my final night of dress rehearsals before the big show tomorrow. I tend to get very grouchy days leading up to a performance. This time...I'm still grouchy...lol. I have been practicing my butt off and heck, I've screwed up in front of a banquet full of people that hired us to dance before so why performing in front of friends and family is so scary, I just don't know. I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I also don't like waiting 3 hours backstage while the tech runs are on. It builds up tension like woah.

Toronto is damn cold today! I was up early again for work and then it was too bright to nap in the afternoon. So by the end of today I'll have been up from 5:30am til about midnight. I just hope I can sleep tonight!

At least my stomach ache went away.

I had some macadamia nut butter before I ran this morning, did 30 minutes, 10 minutes of dance and abs til fatigue. Skipped post.

Meal 1

Egg white omelet

1/2 avocado with salsa.

Meal 2

Salmon Patty (used some almond flour this time. I was hungry)

Broccoli slaw

I found I was hungry again sooner than usual. I wonder what's up with that.

Meal 3

Sweet potato fries

tuna, avocado and hard boiled egg salad

mix of baby bok choy, carrots, cauli and broccoli

kimchi

Hopefully this will fuel me through the first class. In between classes the plan is:

Snack

-hard boiled egg

-4 Iranian dates

Meal 4

-Sole fillet

-Steamed carrot, brussel sprout and zucchini

-Tomato sauce

and then a Larabar and calming tea for comfort.

Wow, looking at that, it looks like a heck of a lot of food. You know, it's been very hard to not round up calories for the day. I've been guilty of it more than once! I'm definitely eating less calorie-wise but getting much more in volume and nutrition so that's really awesome.

Sorry if my last few posts have seemed whiny. I really am enjoying this experience. I even blogged about it on kalisthenixfitnessblog.com which I need to update more regularly. The combination of it being too cold to want to leave home, nerves, and that awful stomach ache has made me kinda icky. I'll probably feel great by tomorrow night though.

Archived