Kaleena's Whole30 Log!

Kaleena

Day 25 (recapping day 24)

I made it through the show without snacking and the junk food buffet was the best one yet! lol. I even had to put on makeup with cookies, trail mix and chips right beside me. Phew, made it through. The show went well and I feel like my energy was pretty consistent throughout. I'm still hoping for better mental clarity through the Whole30 and sometimes I feel like it's there, and others not so much. Anyway, my meal wrap up.

I did a 40 minute run and 20 mins dance. Had my usual pre and post.

Meal 1

Salmon Patty

Broccoli slaw

hard boiled egg.

I went out to get my nails done for the show and when I came home I needed to throw something together extremely quickly.

Meal 2

sweet potato cubes

tuna and avocado salad

Meal 3

I brought a Tupperware with me to the show of salmon cake, sweet potato and dates. Between tech, makeup, costuming and socializing I probably finished my dinner in 3-4 rounds. I also didn't want to feel too full at any point.

I also snacked on a couple grapes and one Brazil nut backstage. :P

My day had very few green veggies but for the first time in 24 days I think that's okay. I didn't want to be bloated anyway!

Got home past midnight. By 12:30-1 I was still pumped and then hungry again.

Meal 4

Too many walnuts and raisins.

Usually after a show I'd celebrate with wine and dark chocolate. It wasn't too bad. Besides, raisins and walnuts are a pretty darn good alternative...lol.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 25

Show went well. Energy levels were up all night. At one point thought my stomach was really hurting/cramping and I have no idea why. Not sure if it was diet related or nerves!

This morning I did a 45 minute run and 20 minute dance practice. Had macadamia nut butter pre and pumpkin post.

Meal 1

salmon fillet

1/2 avocado with salsa

broccoli slaw

I bought some papaya and had to have some before meal 2

Meal 2

Salmon cakes

broccoli slaw, carrots and cauliflower

papaya

kimchi

Meal 3 (in the oven/on the stove)

acorn squash

Sole curry made with peppers and mushrooms (I spoon the curry into the squash-hole)

It's Saturday so plantain chips will happen if my husband gets out of bed to slice them. We took a nap around 5pm because he isn't feeling great and I'm just plain tired and sore today. 6 hours backstage, lots of rehearsing and tech runs + the show. And then my workout this morning + an additional 20 minutes of practice after grocery shopping (actually went out shopping twice today!) has made me pretty sore and tired!

I was having a moment today where I'm just so close that it's really tempting to say okay, I see the potential can I be done now? Then I go into the health food store and the clerk asked how my Whole30 was going. Damn accountability! :P

Aside from the show on Friday and trading pics and comments on Facebook for 2 days, this weekend has been uneventful. I find that the Whole30 kind of eliminates my old weekend routines like going out for lunch and a 20 minute walk to Starbucks. The first weekend we walked to the bucks but I had a chai tea and I don't even like them so we have just been skipping it all around, even out at the mall or wherever we happen to be. At least it saves $10 each time!

I asked my husband if he wanted to go see a movie but the idea of going without popcorn seemed very hard for him so we skipped that too.

I had a decent amount of energy this morning but also a stomach ache because I went kind of locust on compliant foods last night. Oh dear, the weekends are so hard for me : / I'm already starting to panic over the idea of day 31 being on a Friday. I want to do the "experiment" part of this process but it's going to be so tempting to break out some wine, chocolate and to bring back sushi Saturdays. *must hold strong*

I had macadamia nut butter pre and pumpkin post workout. Workout was 47 minutes running and 20-25 minutes dancing.

Meal 1

Salmon fillet

broccoli slaw

1/2 avocado with salsa

Meal 2

Salmon cake

french beans + carrots

grapes

I took a nap for an hour. I wasn't even tired. More like just bored. I figured I only have weekends to feel lazy so might as well. I woke up and finished off the grapes.

Meal 3 (plan)

shrimp curry made with 1lb of de-shelled shrimp

tomato, coconut milk, tomato paste and pumpkin curry base spiced with curry powder and pepper

bell peppers, mushroom and onion.

...and a Larabar

There's date and almond rolls at the grocery store. They have 130 calories each. I might get those for the last week of the 30 to reduce my night snack and to start lowering portions/calories at night.

I do have to say that whole foods are definitely more filling than frankenfoods. Even going locust was only a fraction of the damage that could have been done on chocolate, brownies or jelly beans.

Day 27

I have been feeling more lively today (huurah!) but my itching is back. Especially on my wrist and thigh. It's not a rash but it's just itchy...Weird!

I woke feeling good did my pre-snack ran 47 minutes, danced 20, had a nice stretch and had my post snack.

Meal 1

Salmon patty (1 egg, can of salmon, pumpkin)

broccoli slaw

hard boiled egg

Meal 2

Tuna/avocado salad (1/2 avocado, 1/2 can tuna, mustard, pepper and dill)

sweet potato and salsa

Mixed stir fry vegetables

I went to my first "acting for dancers" class. It was fun and helpful. Oh, to be healthy, fit and more extroverted. Being comfortable in my own skin in every sense of the way is a dream come true. This is motivation to consider when I feel like a brownie, which is no good for my mind or body :P

Meal 3 (plan)

-baked tilapia

-steamed carrot, asparagus and Brussel sprouts

-tomato sauce

Meal 4 (snack)

Larabar

I have my early wake up tomorrow, which means I feel like I spend the day eating but I'm really hoping that I have the energy to do a hot yoga class. That would make this last whole30 week very active and that would show me the sign of increased energy that I could really use to motivate myself to keep many of these new healthy habits.

In more reflection, this has been by far not a perfect Whole30 by any means (snack at night, too many Brazil nuts and raisins last night and the plantain chips and salsa I will shamelessly eat tonight) but I'm learning a lot and this is SERIOUSLY reducing my weekend intake and eliminating my weekend hangover... :P

I CAN EAT PLANTAIN CHIPS?!?!?! ARE YOU FOR REAL?!

I CAN EAT PLANTAIN CHIPS?!?!?! ARE YOU FOR REAL?!

Haha, it is technically compliant but it is also a snack. I just cover mine in coco oil and spices and bake them. I've also done fried plantains as a side dish. So I'm guessing that it is snacking and probably not allowed but man, the weekends are hard for me and I'm attempting to make healthy lifestyle changes without making it the Miserable30...lol

Day 28

I can't believe that after tonight there is only 2 more days to go! Man oh man, I'm going to feel kind of lost after the Whole30. I'm going to maintain solid meals a day (rather than snacking all day) and 2 coffees instead of 4 :P I'm going to eat plenty of veggies all of the time and try to continue to eat more fish and less soy. HOWEVER, I need some dark chocolate badly, milk and cream and oatmeal. I won't eat the oatmeal everyday but out of all of the grains I miss it the most. And nothing gives me energy like a good bowl of oatmeal, raw honey and egg whites.

Anyhoo, had my early rise this morning at 530 and had my pre-workout nut butter, did a 30 minute run, 10 minutes of dancing and core work. Skipped post since I'd be eating anyway in less than an hour.

Meal 1

1/2 avocado with salsa

egg white omelet

I went out to work, did groceries, came home and danced about 20 minutes

Meal 2

Salmon patty with mustard and salsa

broccoli slaw

Meal 3

Tuna and avocado salad

sweet potato

green beans and asparagus

I had the energy to attend an hour hot yoga class. So I'm feeling pretty chill right now.

Meal 4 (plan)

1/2 squash filled with tilapia curry made with coconut milk, bell peppers and mushrooms

Snack

Larabar

Yes, I really need to plan for my post 30 now. to be honest, I may have lost a couple of pounds but otherwise I look the same and it's that I actually feel less energy physically but more mental clarity. I need to strike a balance now to be as healthy as possible while still living my life fully and not being a slave to food choices. Is it doable? Heck, I have to find a way!

Day 29

I'm not hurting too bad from that yoga class and I felt very mentally clear this morning. Maybe this means that my bod is finally adapting to the whole30 lifestyle.

After pre snack I did a 45 minute run (a bit faster than usual) and 20-25 minutes of dance. Then I stretched. Had post snack

Meal 1

Salmon patty (ran out of pumpkin so I added mushrooms and almond flour) it was ok :P

Mixed stir fry veggies, steamed

hard boiled egg

Meal 2

Salmon cakes (from the It Starts with Food book)

A mix of steamed french beans and broccoli slaw

Meal 3

Trying this recipe

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/09/13/weirdly-awesome-awesomely-weird-dinner/

I might pick up something green to have on the side. I'm doing it with spaghetti squash only and it seems somehow incomplete.

Meal 4

Larabar

I have dance class tonight and I'm even considering walking 40 minutes over there...If I can get ready in time.

OMG I can't believe tomorrow is my last day! I was admiring my clearer complexion today :)

Day 30!!!!!

I think my body was so excited that today is day 30 that it woke me up at 6 on a day I could sleep in. *twirls finger*

I had pre and post snack today. Did a 45 minute run, 30 minutes of dance and I cleaned for an hour. I have 3 hours of dance classes tonight. Gonna be tired!

Meal 1

Salmon Patty

Broccoli Slaw

Hard boiled Egg

Meal 2

Salmon Cake

Rutabaga

Baby Bok Choy

Blueberries

1 date

Snack for in between class

4 dates

hard boiled egg

Meal 3

Steamed carrot, cauli and brussel sprouts

Pasta sauce with scallops

Snack

Larabar

I will write a wrap up tomorrow detailing my wins and not-so wins with this program and my plan going forward.

Archived