Multi symptom Rolaids advanced

CindiTay

Hey guys,

Starting the whole30 because I'm having major gut issues and overall feeling horrible. My stomach was feeling queasy and I took two rolaids without even thinking they may not be compliant!! Did I just ruin my first day?

• Whole30 Certified Coach

First of all, I'm not a medical professional, but doctor's orders always trump Whole30 rules, so if these were prescribed for you to take, you should keep taking them. But if it's something not prescribed, you may want to work with your doctor to find something that will work within the Whole30 rules (without knowing the ingredients, I'm just guessing). Most OTC medicines that are chewables contain sugar or a form of fake sugar, some of which you may be sensitive to, and you won't know which ones affect you until you eliminate them.

BUT.. since it's your first day, you could just extend out a day, and consider today a "trial run". This is YOUR Whole30, you do you, so you'll need to decide for yourself if you want to start over. 

I used to take a lot of Rennie, which is like rolaids. I stopped taking them with W30 because they aren't compliant, as they contain dextrose and sucrose.

It's up to you whether you start over, but if you decide to, you're only on your first day - just think of it as doing a W31 (I did a W34 because of sulfites in my lemon juice found on day 4 :) )

However, going forward, if you do get in a bind and need that stomach settling or something for heartburn, baking soda (not powder) in water has the same effect and is compliant!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

@SchrodingersCat  I was going to tell you Whole Foods has a really affordable lemon juice in a bottle, but I realize you are probably across the pond with "Rennie" (well, two ponds from me). It's OK, I messed up on day 1 of my very first Whole30, twice really. I forgot what I did on the first batch of homemade marinara, but I dumped it (it was really wasteful), and then I screwed up on my second batch of marinara by adding a garlic spice blend with SOY in it... this is at 8:30 at night... I was so mad... but oh well. Reset and become a much better label reader from that day on :D 95% better, mostly. :D 

Archived