Melissa79

Slow on the Uptake - Help!

My name is Melissa and I am a little slow to get started for a number of reasons, I'm sure we've all said before. My mom finally convinced me that I needed to give this a shot. Ok, so I did... Now I am on day 14 and feel like a bloated, cranky, exhausted mess, that has taken up official residence in hell. The first week I was gung ho. Ready to start something new and get the ball rolling. Week 2 was a tad more difficult, but I did it. Now I'm trying desperately to find the motivation to do my week 3 meal prep (I have to cook on Sunday, otherwise I will just grab something, unhealthy in the rush of the week.) 

I am looking for words of encouragement or advice to help me roll along. Please help. Any and all is welcome!

We could give you more feedback about what might be going on if we knew a little more about what you were eating, so if you want to post a day or two of typical meals, including approximate serving sizes, we can take a look and see if anything stands out.

In general, things that we see people doing that may contribute to bloating and tiredness include not eating enough in general, not eating the right mix of stuff (lots of veggies, one to two palm-sized portions of protein, and a serving or two of fat in addition to any oil you cook in at each meal), not drinking enough water, not salting their food, or eating a lot of nuts.

If you're following the meal template, you should be starting to feel better soon.

On 3/24/2019 at 9:02 AM, Melissa79 said:

Now I'm trying desperately to find the motivation to do my week 3 meal prep

I'm sure you've heard the expression - it'll get worse before it gets better.  Well, week three is where alot of Whole30ers say it starts to get better.

Part of the lack of motivation may be your brain throwing a tantrum for not giving it what it wants.  Or it may be tired of elaborate meal planning.  Go for some simple meals for awhile - meat patties with veggie, 1/2 baked potato with ghee, etc.  

Like Shannon said, it would be really helpful to know how you've been eating and maybe some of your background! In my case I felt miserable for the majority of my first round because I was vegetarian transitioning into omnivore. My body was going through a lot. Did you eat a lot of sugar before starting? You may need to increase your fruit intake if you have low blood sugar or reduce it if you are eating more than 3 servings a day. If you're eating mostly salads, you might not be getting enough calories to sustain yourself. Make sure you're salting your food an appropriate amount and you feel satisfied after each meal. Fats are also super important, so don't neglect those!

Thanks y'all! I took Shannon's response to heart, and I have adjusted some things with eating more and am feeling a ton better. I also did some more reading and understand that my shitty habits for the last 30+ years are hard to get past.

One reason I could not go Keto (that seems to be the in thing), is I cannot eat red meat due to digestion issues and Keto veggie choices are super limited. I have been eating the suggested meal template as close as possible for the last few days and I have been uncomfortably full but otherwise feeling a lot better. I am not hungry for a few hours after I get up, which is a problem though because I have to take medication with food in the early morning. I am committed to figuring this out though.

Another issue is my mind is set for snacking. I have been eating 5 small meals a day for years, since I am hypoglycemic. I can't say that I feel 100% comfortable not eating snacks because I know what can happen, but then again...I'm not even hungry a little bit.

Thanks again!

You said that you had done some more reading and that you are determined to figure this out.  When my doctor suggested this plan to me I bought most of the books and promptly read them.  Then I had to re-read them, again and again.  I did not feel I could just wing the program if I was serious and I am.  This is my first week and it is a trial to put together a number of meals, stock the pantry, and freezer.  The Whole 30 recipes I have used are great.  There is so much valuable information out there from those who have gone before us and it is helping me greatly.  I think excitement breeds excitement and I am excited for you.  All you gotta do is "one day at a time."  Best of luck to you.