Zoe's kitchen

BarbNYCgal

I completed round one on 3/18/19 with great success.  I decided to do another round and set a start date of 3/31/19.  Ideally I wanted to start round 2 immediately, but  I was traveling 3/23-3/26 and was unsure I'd have compliant options available 100% of the time.  I have remained compliant and if I was able to do so during my trip I was going to back date the start of round 2 to 3/20/19.  

I had been able to remain compliant on my trip, but apparently last night I ate something that was not compliant.  I had the steak kabobs at Zoe's Kitchen.  Here is my dilemma.  I reviewed the menu and had an extensive conversation about ingredients with a person from the kitchen.  I was going to get the chicken kabobs but I was told they had their "Spice for Life" on them which contains sugar and corn starch.  They recommended the shrimp or fish or the steak kabobs due to my dietary limitations.  I do not like seafood so I chose the steak with grilled vegetables and fruit.  I researched more later and found out Zoe's Kitchen is a Whole30 partner (nothing on menu indicated that) and I finally found the ingredients of the glaze on steak kabobs...contains soy sauce and sugar.

My question is, do I need to restart?  I'm getting mixed messages from other Whole30'ers.  Did I do enough due diligence before?  I have not had any cravings or sugar dragon issues since I ate them.  I would love to be able to officially start round 2 on 3/20.

Help?

• Moderators

Restarting is truly up to you. I'm guessing you've read the article we normally link for people to help them decide:  https://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/. Soy is the bigger issue than sugar here, as it's something that is likely to cause inflammation in a lot of people. Your body doesn't know that you ate it accidentally, it just reacts to what you put into it. 

If you don't want to restart, you could keep going, and on day 30, look at how you're feeling and what your schedule is like, and decide then if it's worth adding a few more days to the end of your 30 days so you have 30 days straight. 

I thought that the chicken kabobs were on the ZK Whole30 menu. Is that menu not accurate? My boyfriend and I are on day 4 of our first Whole30, and we were actually planning to go there for dinner tonight to get a little break from all the cooking. But I don’t want to if there’s a risk that the Whole30 menu items aren’t in compliance after all. 

The employee you spoke with might have been wrong, in which case you are fine and wouldn’t have to start over at all. 

Here’s the ZK Whole30 menu. Is this not accurate? Should we not eat there?

https://zoeskitchen.com/pdf/zk30/menu_whole30.pdf

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I thought that the chicken kabobs were on the ZK Whole30 menu. Is that menu not accurate? My boyfriend and I are on day 4 of our first Whole30, and we were actually planning to go there for dinner tonight to get a little break from all the cooking. But I don’t want to if there’s a risk that the Whole30 menu items aren’t in compliance after all. 

The employee you spoke with might have been wrong, in which case you are fine and wouldn’t have to start over at all. 

Here’s the ZK Whole30 menu. Is this not accurate? Should we not eat there?

https://zoeskitchen.com/pdf/zk30/menu_whole30.pdf

I would call ahead to the location you're planning to visit and confirm that the Whole30 menu is accurate. 

It looks like either they have changed that, or that the person OP spoke with was misinformed.

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2019 at 10:29 AM, ShannonM816 said:

Restarting is truly up to you. I'm guessing you've read the article we normally link for people to help them decide:  https://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/. Soy is the bigger issue than sugar here, as it's something that is likely to cause inflammation in a lot of people. Your body doesn't know that you ate it accidentally, it just reacts to what you put into it. 

If you don't want to restart, you could keep going, and on day 30, look at how you're feeling and what your schedule is like, and decide then if it's worth adding a few more days to the end of your 30 days so you have 30 days straight. 

I needed to see this. Thank you. I’ll just keep adding days until I get it 100%

Archived