Whole30 2019 Part 2: Spring Cleaning

megbeveridge

Hello again, Whole30 community! 

Since finishing my first Whole30 in January of this year, I've been drawn toward going another round. I learned a lot the first time and felt great afterwards, but I quickly realized that I am not much of a moderator and I need to establish some hard and fast rules. My biggest struggles during the program were transitioning from vegetarian to omnivore, cutting sugar, and eating enough vegetables. I was sick for the first two weeks at least and didn't have the greatest experience overall. I started feeling horribly sick from chicken and eggs. It wasn't until the end that I really felt the positive effects. Naturally, since I didn't feel awesome during, I wasn't too stressed about a strict reintroduction because I just wanted to feel better. A fast track reintro soon turned to "eh, does it really matter?" and subsequent binges on chocolate, ice cream, and bread. I know I don't feel good after having large amounts of sugar and dairy, but the mental reward outweighed that. In terms of my climbing ability, I was doing great for a long time! Recently however, my muscles have had a harder time recovering and my forearms have even locked up on the wall to the point where I couldn't hold on. That's not a sign of a healthy body.

I'm now in the planning stage for my next run, which I've dubbed "Spring Cleaning." This time I'll be starting April 7th with the extra challenge of reducing my meat intake from the last time. I know that it's one of the most effective sources of protein, especially on this plan, but I'm also participating in the EcoChallenge, which cites reducing animal proteins as one of the best ways to reduce one's carbon footprint. There's a chance I'll have to give up on that goal, because if it's between the two, I'm going to do what's best for my body. I'm still having trouble eating eggs so breakfast or lunch is going to be a little off the suggested plate each day. I'll need protein in my other two meals of the day to fuel my body enough for my climbing and biking! This time I'll be going for less starches, less fruit, and more greens. 

My Goals:

1. Determine a way of eating that I can stick with in the long term.
  2. Find new and better ways of incorporating veggies into my meals.
  3. Improve my climbing skill and stamina.

My Posts Will Consist of:

• Sleep
  • Meal 1
  • Meal 2
  • Meal 3
  • Energy
  • Physical symptoms
  • Mental symptoms

I'll be using the colors above to reference back to my goals within each post. Feel free to follow my progress! I always appreciate tips, commiseration, and support!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I was supposed to start yesterday, but decided Monday was a better day for a new beginning. Mondays are already bad, right? Maybe I'll feel better this Monday since I have such good whole food in my body!

Sleep:  I didn't sleep well last night at all. I woke up groggy and with a sore neck.

Meal 1 (pre-workout):  3 eggs (I did it!), clementine citrus

Mini meal (post-workout): Larabar

Meal 2: 1.5 chicken thighs, 1.5 cups steamed broccoli, 1/2 large sweet potato with cinnamon and olive oil

Meal 3:  1/2 boneless beef strip steak, 1.5 cups steamed green beans, oven roasted potatoes with olive oil and sea salt

Energy:  Low. Lack of sleep and general blah-ness

Physical symptoms:  Sore neck; allergies (coughing, congestion)

Workout:  Biking to and from work, about 15 minutes each way; walking at lunch, about 40 minutes

@megbeveridge

Hey Meg!

I just got home from Australia and I started my 2nd W30 yesterday too!  Of course, I am dealing with serious jetlag so yesterday's return home food was just weird: some proscuitto, a banana and almond butter, a can of salmon and grapes - that's all. Today will be a return to proper meal structure - jet lag is the pits but it isn't a terminal condition.

After my last W37 ended, I did really well despite living in my daughter's home for 2 months. The last 10 days were a return to a free for all - I went to Melbourne for a work related weekend gig and quickly realized I wan't in charge of any of the meals so I decided to just eat what was on offer. What a mistake! After a few deli sandwiches and some cheese platters, I started feeling all of my energy drain and my general physical malaise return. I haven't had any problems with any reintroduction bits but this general feeling of "ugh" has to be diet related. ANYWAY - I felt so good on W30 - am already looking forward to feeling energized and well again in a few days.

I love your template. I don't know if I could reduce my meat - I'll be keen to see how that goes for you. Spring has returned to Toronto - it's daybreak and I can hear birds singing. I'm looking forward to a much more active W30 than my January blues one. I'm not anticipating any problems...

Let's do this thing!!

Day 2:

Today I am hungry. I have my meals planned so I won't get off track, but I think I need to increase my portions, at least for protein! Although I wanted to have a meat free meal as often as I could, today just didn't work out. When I get some good salad ingredients I might be able to make lunch more vegetarian, but I'm not sure it will keep me full. I suppose it's going to be trial and error for a little while. 

Sleep:  Another night with poor sleep. No sore neck today!

Meal 1 (pre-workout):  about 4oz steak, carrots, roasted potatoes (Dinner leftovers!)

Meal 2: Grilled chicken skewer and roasted Greek vegetables

Meal 3:  Macadamia coated pork chops, steamed green beans with olive oil and sea salt

Energy:  Lowish to medium

Physical symptoms:  Allergies (coughing, congestion), a small headache

Workout:  Biking to and from work, about 15 minutes each way; walking at lunch, about 25 minutes

Day 3:

Sleep: Okay sleep

Meal 1 (pre-workout): 1 or 2 cups steamed green beans, chicken thigh, banana

Meal 2: 2 cups romaine salad mix, 4 sliced strawberries, 1 chicken sausage

Meal 3: fried cauliflower rice with chicken

Energy: Low

Physical symptoms: Allergies

Workout: biking to and from work, about 15 minutes each way; walking at lunch, about 40 minutes

Day 4:

Sleep: Good, about 8 hours

Meal 1 (pre-workout): banana, Larabar, 2 slices of bacon, 1 egg (only had one left) w/ sea salt

Meal 2: skipped, not feeling well

Meal 3: roasted spaghetti squash (about 1.5 cups, 4-5oz. ground chicken, traditional spaghetti sauce, 1tbsp EVOO, sea salt

Energy: Low

Physical symptoms: Allergies, stomach discomfort

Workout: biking to and from work, about 15 minutes each way; walking at lunch, about 40 minutes

Archived