Starting April 7th for "spring cleaning!"

megbeveridge

Hi all! I'm Megan and I'm planning my second round of Whole30 to start in two weeks. If anyone has been waiting for a sign that they should give it another go, this is it! I'm calling this my body spring cleaning. We clean our houses, our cars, our yards, but we tend to neglect our own bodies in this yearly cleanse.

For background, I did my first Whole30 this past January and I've totally gone off the tracks. I'm a 25-year-old designer, climber, bike commuter (when it's nice), dog mom, and ice cream enthusiast. Prior to my January W30 I was a vegetarian for five years. If you want to know what that transition was like, I'll direct you to my log for that round. In short it was miserable. If you're thinking about transitioning from veggie to omni on Whole30, take this as your first warning. I'm super excited to do another round without going through that! My main goals are to find a sustainable way for me to eat well, incorporate more veggies into my meals, and improve my climbing. 

Please comment here if you are joining me on this run, or if you just want to wish me luck (I could use it). I appreciate any and all input. 

Happy spring, Northern Hemisphere folks! Those of you in the south, enjoy the cool days coming your way!

Hello!! 

I am planning to start a round roughly at the same time as you! I am away with work until the 6th and won’t be in control of my meals at all - it may well be the 8th that I start to give me time to recover from travel and get organised!

This will be my third round - I completed my first in June 2017 and it was life-changing! I did a second in Sept/Oct 2017 and sadly got sick with Glandular Fever (Mono) part way through so although I stuck it out I never felt the benefits that time. I tried a third round a couple of times at the beginning of 2018 but with recovery and also starting a new job it just didn’t happen. 

I’m wanting to do this round because my body is really inflamed: I have PCOS but I also had surgery for an ectopic in December so there’s lots of inflammation from that and I have also just been eating my feelings while we grieve our loss. 

I’m hoping for a positive experience, reduced inflammation and to regain a bit of control and self esteem. I’m going into this round with my mind set on self-care. My husband is currently saying he will do it with me this time too!!!

@HopingtoHeal Nice to virtually meet you! I'm so sorry for your loss. It must have been a hard few months, but it looks like you're ready to start again! I also understand the feeling when you lose control and self esteem, I'm definitely in that boat. Hopefully we'll be able to support each other this round!

VThank you both @megbeveridge and @Elizabeth33! I feel so worried that I won’t manage to stick to it - I think the failed attempts at round 3 last year have got to my brain!!!

Whereabouts are you both? I’m in Scotland and I’ve found it can be hard to get compliant stuff here which means everything has to be made from scratch!!! When I did my first rounds we had a whole foods in Glasgow but it closed! do you have good access to whole30 approved and compliant foods?

@HopingtoHeal I am in Los Angeles so yes I do have access to compliant food but I can’t eat most of it. I am sensitive to garlic, onions, peppers and tomatoes so I have to make most things from scratch as well. I completely understand. 

@megbeveridge I have had 1sucessful round and MANY failed attempts but I keep coming back. This is an amazing program I am just highly addicted to sugar and fast food. I REALLY need to make it through this time. I will mostly be on the Aptil 1 start thread but I will check in with you guys to cheer you on. 

Good morning. I am planning on starting on the 8th. I am a little nervous and over whelmed but I know I need to get my mind and body back on track. Any tips, tricks and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone, I'd also like to start the Whole30 challenge April 8th.  I've never done this before, although I have been wanting to do it for a while now.  I'd say my eating habits aren't terrible, but I would love to give my body a break from any grains, sugar, gluten and alcohol for a month.  I'd like to check in with folks for inspiration when feeling weak, anyone interested in partnering up on this and holding each other accountable?  I know it might be weird since it's virtual but might help!  Let me know!  

Hi Folks

i too am starting on 8th which is tomorrow being as I'm in Australia 

I'd be keen to be in touch with others who are  starting around same time - I know from having done this before that's sharing the ups and downs makes it easier.

i'm feeling positive and keen but whenever I go off grains I have a few very rough days of fatigue and irritability - so a bit nervous too

so good luck everyone I hope it's a joyful journey and not too many bumps along the way!

Hi everyone, I thought about starting on April 1, changed my mind, and now have changed it again - I need to make a commitment. I've done this three times, including the last two Decembers in a row. I'm trying to take the long view, and instead of being discouraged that I'm not sailing along effortlessly in a state of Food Freedom (hello cravings and sugar dragon), enjoy the "begin again" mode. I know that this program is healthful and life affirming, and I always benefit from it. 

I'm doing this to keep inflammation down (joint pain), for preventative brain health (family history), and to be the most functional that I can be. 

My commitment is 60 days. That will bring me to June 6, and give me a few weeks for re-intros before some out-of-state travel. 

We recently moved, and I am working on creating a healthy new routine that includes consistent daily movement. I haven't journaled my W30 experience since my first round two years ago, so I'm doing that again, too.

Happy trails to all!

Hello everyone!

So glad there seems to be a few of us starting at the same time. I have definitely found on previous rounds that a community of folk doing it at the same time is such an encouragement and help!

I got back yesterday from a week-long residential at work (I'm a youth worker) where I've had pretty much no control over what I was eating. I can't wait to get started now because I feel so awful from having eaten loads of bread, pasta, processed foods and sugar for a week! I can;t wait to focus on healing and fuelling my body well. I am on annual leave for the next two weeks so plenty of time to focus and do meal prep, so no excuses!

How is everyone feeling about starting?

Hi all! I decided to start today (April 8) instead because it just seemed right to start on a Monday. I'm so happy that you'll be joining me! I'm feeling pretty good about starting. Last round I got so sick of eggs I couldn't get them down after week 3, but this morning I finally ate eggs for breakfast again and did just fine. I'm a little nervous about how much food I'll need to eat since I bike to work in the warm months and last time I did this it was the middle of winter. I'll need a lot more to fuel my body! 

How is everyone else doing?

On 3/28/2019 at 4:45 PM, HopingtoHeal said:

Whereabouts are you both? I’m in Scotland and I’ve found it can be hard to get compliant stuff here which means everything has to be made from scratch!!! When I did my first rounds we had a whole foods in Glasgow but it closed! do you have good access to whole30 approved and compliant foods?

I'm in Maryland, USA. I love Scotland though, I was there about two years ago for a couple of weeks! 

I have access to Whole30 approved and compliant foods, but they're not necessarily in my price range. I end up doing a lot of cooking too! I'm not great at eating the same foods over and over, so I can't do big batches and eat them for multiple days. Almost every meal has to be cooked separately. I literally couldn't eat any eggs or chicken around week 3 last time because I'd had them too much! 

Aw @megbeveridge, I am so glad you liked Scotland, did you tour about or were you in one particular area when you were here? I've never been to Maryland, I've only visited New York, Boston/Cape Cod (where I worked at a summer camp in 2005) and Florida.

That's interesting to hear that even when they are physically accessible they are perhaps not financially accessible. I think often it can feel like there are so many options to hand in the states but we have none here. But I am off to a good start, I've had three lovely compliant meals today and there's a batch of sausage patties made and in the fridge for through the week. My husband is doing it with me this time (his first round) and he has got off to a good start too. The Whole30 mayo was always his job to make and we love it - we had continued to make it even when I wasn't doing whole30 because we think it tastes so much better than shop bought, but we got lazy!

Today's meals were:

Breakfast - 2 eggs scrambled in some olive oil, raw spinach, tomato, 1/2 avocado, 2 strawberries

Lunch - 2 pork sausage patties, raw spinach, tomato, cucumber, spring onion, an apple and a tablespoon of cashew butter

Dinner - Chicken Cacciatore (from the Whole30 book) and potatoes roasted in ghee

I've also had a few cups of black coffee, lots of water and a nakd bar.

How are you all finding day one?

Day 2 and holding steady. For lunch I ad libbed a tasty big bowl of sauteed zucchini spirals, leftover salmon, and threw in a little tomato soup that I had just made, and strange as it sounds, it was delicious. For dinner I tried a new recipe that my husband and I both liked a lot:  http://www.thedefineddish.com/hibachi-style-chicken-with-magic-mustard-sauce/ It will make nice leftovers for lunch tomorrow, and then I have ground chicken thawing to make meatballs to go into the tomato soup. @HopingtoHeal sausage patties are one of my favorite things, what is your recipe?

I had great energy today, and was very active, working in the yard for hours. The week is off to a good start.

@megbeveridge during my first W30 I also became a bit gaggy about eggs. I'm not sure what happened, but I think I got used to eating other dinner-type things in the morning. Now I rarely eat eggs in the morning unless it's a pre or post w/o snack: a bowl of scrambled eggs with special spice blends that I learned from Well Fed, and often a splash of coconut aminos. I think variety is definitely the spice of life. 

@LadyLisbette sounds like you are off to a great start! I'm just starting day 2 with a lovely omelette - ghee, bacon, garlic, mushroom, tomato and spinach with 3 eggs. Delicious! I use the perfect sausage recipe from the whole30 book - keep it simple and find them utterly delicious!

I think I'm going to find today a challenge - I have started my period, only my second since ectopic surgery, so after a 7 week cycle it's bloomin' painful! I'm focussing on fuelling and nourishing my body well - it's been through a lot and needs a bit of TLC! The sun is shining here so I would like to get out for a walk but I have a workman coming to fix our washing machine, so not sure if that will happen! 

How's everyone travelling? 

I hit the hungry monster stage today. Despite eating two lunches I was famished by 4pm. Fortunately I had my dinner with me as I was going out after work so it became afternoon tea and I had to do an emergency dash to the supermarket for dinner.

during my fourth meal at work my boss asked if she was imagining things or had I been eating all day. Yep pretty much :)

i don't eat enough fats to stay full but I have genetic hypo cholesterol and just can't risk pushing it further so I just focus on fibre and protein - and eat a lot!

Anyways I hope everyone are feeling like whole30 superstars 

Hi all!

Today I am ravenous! I ate roasted vegetables at lunch until I couldn't eat any more, but like clockwork I was hungry 2 hours later. I hate it! 

@HopingtoHeal I did a tour around the highlands. I'm so jealous you get to live in a place with a plethora of hairy coos! I just wanted to give one a big hug! 

@LadyLisbette I think I'll mostly be eating leftovers for breakfast this time to avoid the horrid egg situation! Some people say they started eating eggs every day on Whole30 and love it, which is something I will never understand. Today I had steak and that is so much better than eggs!

@Pipi Hello fellow hungry monster! I wish I had that much food with me at work, I'm dying!

@Elizabeth33 How did you make your own sausage?? Sounds complicated!

Good morning all!

Lovely to log on and catch up with how you are all doing! Sorry to hear about the hunger @Pipi and @megbeveridge!

I'm suffering from the Day 2-3 "hangover" but aware that might also be period related, but in any case, I feel pretty rubbish!

Yesterday's meals went well and I am just making breakfast now for day 3. I'm definitely looking forward to the part where it starts to feel worth it! 

@Pipi did you mean hyper cholesterol? I wonder if W30 ways of eating will help regulate your cholesterol - that will be wonderful if so, yes? It must be frustrating to eat so much good food and not feel satiated. I sympathize with you! Have you read It Starts With Food?

@HopingtoHeal and @Pipi I hope you're both feeling better soon, and bring on the Tiger Blood! We should all get Tiger Blood so that we can keep up with ourselves in the kitchen, right? @HopingtoHeal has the pain subsided? The idea of your pain made me want to reach for my hot water bottle for that heat, and that weight, does that work for you with menstrual pain? It can be so comforting.

I'm encouraged by the state of my well-stocked refrigerator right now - I have plenty of de-boned chicken on hand, a fresh batch of homemade mayo, and loads of vegetables. I've learned to not let the vegetables run out, EVER! I'm planning to make a Thai curry carrot soup, some Asian-ish chicken thighs, and if the need for comfort food strikes, bangers (to your point @Elizabeth33!!!) with sweet potato mash and caramelized onions. Someone's remark on this forum reminded me that I have silicon baking cups that I hardly ever use, so I will try making a big batch of quiche-like cups filled with spinach and whatever protein I have on hand for breakfasts or emergencies. Things are looking good, and it's just day 4. Yahoo!

aw @Pipi sorry to hear you are feeling the hangover too! I felt truly awful all day yesterday! Thankfully the headache has passed but my body still feels tired and sore. I am struggling a bit with lack of appetite, nothing seems all that appetising, it's not that I'm craving non-compliant foods, I just don't feel I want to eat much at all? I am also feeling a bit of meat-fatigue... I am very much a meat eater and can't imagine being vegetarian but meat or eggs with every meal feels just too much!!! I think I might need to start trying to have fish more often? Anyone else feel worn out on meat and eggs already?!

@LadyLisbette, thankfully cramps subsided very quickly but headache and body-soreness persisted. My body has been through an awful lot lately so it's not surprising really. Glad to report I have seen a huge reduction in inflammation already and I am excited to see how it continues and how my body continues to heal!

how is everyone else doing?

Archived