Day 23 Incredibly Overwhelmed

Good Morning, 

This is my first Whole30 and it's been pretty eye-opening. I was so excited when Day 14 came around because I felt like I had hit the tiger blood stage early, I literally had all this energy, my mood was fantastic, literally felt like Wonder Woman. And then Day 16 hit and it was like crashed into the ground at full speed. Headaches, lack of energy, depressed. It got increasingly better, but still not anywhere I was on Day 14. I'm now on Day 23 and still feel tired, bloated (which hasn't really gone away since the beginning), my mood is okay and I'm not sleeping well. These troubleshoot threads have been helping me, but I don't know if I'm doing something wrong.

A bit of background info. in case this helps: I do suffer from clinical depression and anxiety disorder. I was recommended by a license professional to start Whole30 as a means to improve my mental health and also I've been at that point where I've tried everything. My relationship with food wasn't co-dependent, but I certainly didn't do myself any favors hanging onto Ben & Jerry lol. I do have a lot of stress going on in my life right now, which could be the reason for the changes. I'm working out 3-4 days a week and have a food journal. 

I think it may be that I'm eating nuts which could be why I'm bloated. I've also read about what Melissa says about why the Whole30 didn't work for you, blog posts, etc. I'm just overwhelmed with what I'm doing or not doing. My meals were bigger in the first two weeks, but have gotten smaller because I'm not as hungry and drinking lots and lots of water. Here is what I've eaten the past three days:

Day 20:

Breakfast - omelette filled with red bell peppers and spinach, topped with salsa, half a tiny avocado and green onions for garnish

Snack: one orange

Lunch: Four lettuce boats with one slice of bacon, quarter slice of turkey, two slices tomato and half a tiny avocado

Dinner: Two chicken thighs with a cup of broccoli, one cup of spinach and half cup of sweet potato

Day 21: 

Breakfast: Same omelette as day 20

Lunch: Five lettuce boats instead of four 

Dinner: 1 cup shrimp with zoodles and kale pesto and one orange

Day 22: 

Breakfast: Two scrambled eggs, half tiny avocado, two slices of bacon and 1/4 sweet potato 

Snack: Half of an apple before acupuncture appointment 

Lunch: Two spicy italian sausage links, one cup of broccoli and a one cup of roasted potatoes and two tablespoons of salsa 

Dinner: Two cups orange chicken, one cup cauliflower rice/broccoli  

Thank you very much for your help in advance! I'm trying to remain positive and really proud of myself for going on this journey as I've never done a "program" ever. And I only have seven days left! But I hate that I'm starting to feel exactly like I did during the first week. Looking for positive reinforcement :]

One thing I'm noticing right away is that you're very light on the starchy vegetables. I mention those specifically because I've found them to be super-important for my own "balance" -- I'm bipolar, and my W30 experience knocked my socks off because I never would have thought food played such a huge role in my mood and ability to function like a halfway reasonable adult. :)  We're all different, but I'd read on these forums that adding a bit of extra starchy veg is helpful for those who are coping with depression or even just when we're facing our cycle, so I set out to find out how much worked for me personally.

I make sure to have a half to full serving of starchy vegetable with either breakfast or lunch, and a full serving for dinner. If breakfast, then it's half a serving (more than that and I'll be wanting a nap between noon and 2!); if lunch, then it's however much I feel like having. Dinner has to include a full serving (about my fist-size or a little larger), else I sleep badly.

Pardon my assumption if I'm incorrect, but if you are likely to be dealing with a female cycle anytime soon, that could also be causing part of the issues you're experiencing (the mood flux as well as the physical signs). Dietary changes can definitely cause a bit of havoc where our hormones are concerned, so you could experience different symptoms than usual and the timing might be off from what's expected, too. Just another consideration, if it's applicable. :) 

18 hours ago, Jihanna said:

One thing I'm noticing right away is that you're very light on the starchy vegetables. I mention those specifically because I've found them to be super-important for my own "balance" -- I'm bipolar, and my W30 experience knocked my socks off because I never would have thought food played such a huge role in my mood and ability to function like a halfway reasonable adult. :)  We're all different, but I'd read on these forums that adding a bit of extra starchy veg is helpful for those who are coping with depression or even just when we're facing our cycle, so I set out to find out how much worked for me personally.

Thank you so much for this!!! I was eating a lot of starchy veggies in the beginning, but then thought I was consuming too much so I brought down my serving portions dramatically due to other suggestions via forum, but now understand how important they are, especially for those of us battling with mental illness. Definitely feel 100% when I'm eating sweet potatoes. 

18 hours ago, Jihanna said:

I make sure to have a half to full serving of starchy vegetable with either breakfast or lunch, and a full serving for dinner. If breakfast, then it's half a serving (more than that and I'll be wanting a nap between noon and 2!); if lunch, then it's however much I feel like having. Dinner has to include a full serving (about my fist-size or a little larger), else I sleep badly.

Pardon my assumption if I'm incorrect, but if you are likely to be dealing with a female cycle anytime soon, that could also be causing part of the issues you're experiencing (the mood flux as well as the physical signs). Dietary changes can definitely cause a bit of havoc where our hormones are concerned, so you could experience different symptoms than usual and the timing might be off from what's expected, too. Just another consideration, if it's applicable. :) 

:lol: you would be correct assuming as I start next week. I had taken it into consideration lol. Thank you again for your help, I really appreciate it :)

Archived