RX bars?

I am on Day 10 of my first Whole30! So far so good. Cravings are not as bad as I had thought. I think I am sticking to the plan but I wanted input on a couple of "extras." I have not noticed a whole lot of body changes yet but since I'm 1/3 through want to make sure I'm on track.

My meals are pretty consistent.

I have egg/avocado/veggie combo of some sort in the AM. Lunch and dinner I have been ordering meals from Model Meals which seem to be compliant. If there is no fat I will add 1/2 avocado or have small glass of coconut milk. Sometimes I forget to add a fat.

I try to do 150 minutes of exercise a week so will do a similar egg/avocado before workout. I often eat dinner right after and don't do another meal after that.  I try to make sure I have a starchy veggie with dinner. 

Typically I am having an Rx Bar every day (I work in medicine and get hungry in the PM and will often grab one between patients) and kombucha with dinner.

I would like to know:

Are the Rx Bar and kombucha too much - should I limit them?

Is it also possible I'm not eating enough if I'm NOT having a post-workout meal AND dinner? I feel satisfied most of the time but if I'm still hungry that's when I may add the Rx bar or some nuts. 

Thank you!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

The pre- and post-workout meals are recommended and not necessarily required; it's mainly for people doing super high energy expenditures. 150 minutes per week isn't very high intensity, so you may not be hungry enough for a pre/post workout meal. Gauge yourself by your hunger. If you're really hungry at dinner, eat a little more protein and fat. If you feel weak during your workouts, you may want to continue with your pre-workout snack.

Could you swap out your RX Bar for an egg/avocado snack instead? Even though they are compliant, they are still full of sugar, so it may keep feeding your sugar dragon. Do you drink the whole bottle of kombucha? Are you finding that you "need" the kombucha (ie, is it subbing for your evening wine/beer?) ? 

Thank you!   I'm not eating any other fruit during the day so I figured what little there was in the rx bar might be OK. I'll work on some other snacks though. And you're definitely right the kombucha is probably more to have something that tastes nice with my evening meal.

I will say that my exercise is high intensity. Even if it's shorter duration. I am definitely hungry if I don't do a pre workout snack. 

Thanks again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Question. Are these the bars I can buy at Sam's? I have been having the Lara Bar Cashew Cookie before my workouts and it keeps me going for about 3-4 hours.  I'd like a variety but want to make sure we're talking about the same thing first. Unfortunately it's not feasible for me to take a break before I leave work to eat something other than a bar or nuts prior to my workout.

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Pameedee said:

Question. Are these the bars I can buy at Sam's? I have been having the Lara Bar Cashew Cookie before my workouts and it keeps me going for about 3-4 hours.  I'd like a variety but want to make sure we're talking about the same thing first. Unfortunately it's not feasible for me to take a break before I leave work to eat something other than a bar or nuts prior to my workout.

You don't have to take a break to eat something other than nuts or a bar... a hardboiled egg or a couple chunks of chicken and avocado is just as easy to eat on the fly :)

As for whether RX bars are available at the store you go to, it's hard to say... you'd just need to go to the store and see what they have.  They would say RX-Bar on the package and they're a solid color-each flavor being a different color.

19 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

You don't have to take a break to eat something other than nuts or a bar... a hardboiled egg or a couple chunks of chicken and avocado is just as easy to eat on the fly :)

As for whether RX bars are available at the store you go to, it's hard to say... you'd just need to go to the store and see what they have.  They would say RX-Bar on the package and they're a solid color-each flavor being a different color.

Thank you so much for the info. I will grab some bars this week. Unfortunately we are not allowed to eat anything at our desks other than a snack that has no smell, which disqualifies eggs. Besides, I have eggs for breakfast and prefer to eat something else. I do appreciate your input and feedback. 

• Moderators

We do suggest that you have protein and/or fat pre-workout, rather than carbs. RXBars are really more appropriate for emergency food situations like being stuck in an hours long traffic jam or to take with you on a day of air travel where you might not find Whole30 options. 

Make no mistake, they're compliant and also dangerously tasty - you will very likely end up eating more of them than is optimal for your goals. 

Archived