Can you develop an allergy?

Leah5512

Hello,

i finished my whole30 and began reintroduction yesterday with dairy. I had some cheese on my eggs at breakfast, ate a cheese stick with lunch, and felt fine after both. In the afternoon I drank a cortado-espresso and less than 8oz of milk and my stomach has been queasy and rumbly every since coupled with some diarrhea. This really surprised me as I’ve never had any issues with dairy in the past and because I felt the same on whole30 as I did off. If I had issues with dairy before wouldn’t I have noticed or at least felt different on whole30. My question really is if by taking dairy away for 30 days if I could develop an intolerance simply because I didn’t have it for a month? Thanks in advance. 

My understanding is that your stomach develops a protective lining when you consume dairy on a regular basis. The lining sheds when you go without dairy for a while. One of the mods discussed it once but I couldn’t find the thread.

The same thing happened to me after I completed my first Whole 30 - horrible stomach pains, gas and loose stools whenever I ate dairy. It settled down and I was able to eat dairy again after a week or so of regular consumption. 

Archived