Whole30 with kidney failure, hypothyroidism and colostomy

Hey, so I’m on my second whole30 (it’s so much easier once you know what you’re doing), and I introduced my mom to the idea of doing whole30. The only issue is... her kidneys have failed (autoimmune/genetic diabetes), she’s on hemodialysis for the second time in her life, waiting transplant, has hypothyroidism associated with kidney issues, and has a colostomy bag. As you can imagine she takes hands full of pills everyday, and says she “isn’t allowed to” eat anything.  

Shes concerned about high potassium, too much water, and digestive irritants. She also doesn’t store leftovers because she’s paranoid she’ll get sick from them. 

She eats protein and tons of processed starchy snacks and sodas at this point and needs to lose weight. Honestly I don’t know if whole30 is the best plan, because she also shyes away from food prep/cooking and thinking/planning. But, she did read the book. 

Any my suggestions on vegetables that aren’t high in potassium, or cruciferous, to go along with her protein intake?? 

• Administrators

Hi @Elk - sorry that your mom is struggling with such health concerns. Unfortunately no one here is a doctor and we would not be responsible in recommending specific foods that will or will not work with her digestive and health concerns.  (ie, we can't know for her what would be considered her potassium limits etc). The Whole30 overall is veggies, proteins, good fats and some fruits. We here in the forum, cannot design specific alterations for specific medical conditions.

Archived