Feeling like I’m cheating?

Hi all,

I'm on day 9 of whole30 and struggled a lot this weekend. It’s about the time of the month where hormones are playing a big part as well. Yesterday I was grouchy and miserable, today I feel better but I feel like I’m still “cheating” on my diet. I know I’ve eaten too much nut butter and way more fruit than I should. I feel like these are keeping me sane but also probably feeding my sugar cravings. So I guess my question is, how restrictive should I be? I want this to be successful but I’ve been quite miserable for only being 9 days in and little things like this are helping me stick to it. I feel like even though I’m staying in the guidelines of allowed foods, I still feel guilt from “eating bad”

• Administrators

Days 10-11ish tend to be the hardest for a lot of people and the days when people are most likely to quit so it sounds like you're right around on track.

Our hormones do fluctuate through the month and you may find that you need more food overall. Try to avoid nut butters and fruits as this just does you a disservice for cravings down the road. Stick to protein + fat or protein + veggie if you need to eat between meals.

Try to put aside the food morality. There are no good or bad foods and you are not good or bad for eating them. There's just the experiment you're doing and our recommendations. You could eat just almond butter for 30 days and still have done the Whole30. But if what you aim to do is change cravings or your relationship with food, you will need to push through the discomfort. You can do this, power on!

Archived