Day 10 round 2 wondering why

So, I did whole30 4 years ago, and then, didn't notice many changes except that I started to really like some foods that were only okay beforehand.  I also started to notice the strength of the flavors.

This time, I am doing it alone (last time was with my now-fiance, this time he is supportive but isn't doing it himself).  I'm on day 10 and while I can see those same benefits happening this time with regard to food tastes, I want a more motivating change to happen.  Yes, I need to lose weight, but this isn't really about that.  I want cravings to go away and stay away, but I'm just wondering why it feels much harder to get to 30 days this time.  

And also, because I know what my biggest food cravings and most easily indulged categories of food are (bread and wine, mostly): I am also wondering why I need to fully eliminate for the full 30 days?  

I guess I just also want some outside encouragement because I hate cooking and food shopping and planning. And for this, it's essentially all on me this month to do those things (also because I work from home this time).  I know I CAN do it, but why do I have to do 30 days on round 2 instead of, say 20?  

• Administrators

Hi @anamchara1317 - The second time is generally harder and there's an article about why that may be. https://whole30.com/2015/02/second-whole30/

As for doing 20 instead of 30 - it's your choice but the very fact that you are struggling may be an indicator that there is something going on that you need to work on and the full 30 days is going to pressure you to figure it out. 

Can you elaborate on foods that you started to really like? Are you referring to your tastes changing for certain veggies etc? 

Eliminating cravings is as much about meal timing and composition as anything else. If you make sure you're eating within an hour of waking and every 4-5 hours for meal spacing, that helps. Make sure you have a good fat source and enough protein and veggies that can get you 4-5 hours. Avoid using fruit or nuts to assuage cravings as it only makes it worse. The dried fruit/nut bars are the literal worst for trying to get rid of cravings. If you absolutely have to eat between meals, that's totally fine, but focus on protein + fat or protein + veggies.

For your encouragement: you totally CAN do this. You've done it before, you have reasons for doing it again and you matter to you! Go for ingredient meals rather than recipes to help cut down on cooking. Batch cook larger quantities of proteins and roasted veggies etc and use them later on.

Hi and thanks for the info and encouragement.  I'm sure I will push myself (or be pushed in a positive way) to do the 30 days.  I just feel like it's been so long already and it's only been 10.

Basically, I ended up noticing that I like sweet potatoes and cucumbers and salmon much more than I used to (many of the same foods from last time).  And yes, I can distinguish and generally notice the varying flavors of food and combinations more.  But other than that, I just struggle to get enthusiastic about meats and veggies or salads (ugh, salads - I mostly hate them. So much chopping for so little return, imo).  

What do you mean by ingredient meals vs recipes?  I have never been one to enjoy or learn cooking for myself, and I get easily bored with the same thing or very similar thing day after day.  I'm better than I used to be about leftovers, but given a choice, I don't eat many.

I haven't eaten any dried fruit or nut bars.  I have eaten some veggies in between meals a few times, and/or compliant dried meat sticks.  I have the hardest time with hunger between breakfast and lunch, usually.  Schedule wise, I get 20- 25 minutes to heat/prep and eat lunch (from 11:05-11:30).  It's exhausting on top of the already taxing mentally charged job I have.  I don't always feel snacky after work, but end up eating dinner not until 6:30 or 7 at night.  And although I would normally keep drinking wine after dinner (my partner is a winemaker and we live on a working vineyard, ha), I haven't had many issues with cravings after dinner.

One thing I've also noticed this time around is that I am eating less - smaller portions - which is probably a big (and good) thing for me.  My fiancé and I eat fairly healthy food on a regular basis, but when I'm left to prep/cook/plan/shop alone, I'm far more likely to want to order pizza.  Or have burritos from our local taco stands.  

I 100% don't have any problems valuing myself, so I know it's not that.  I also mostly have really liked the food I've cooked.  I'm pretty sure my main thing is getting past the cravings stage and the meal planning/prep that makes me still so frustrated.

• Administrators

Ingredient meals would be something like roasted chicken, cut veggies and guacamole. Basically putting things on a plate that fit the template but not necessarily a "recipe". Sardines, steamed brocoli and homemade mayo. Scrambled eggs, sauteed mushrooms topped with avocado. Stuff like that.

It sounds like maybe you aren't eating enough at breakfast? Feel free to post a few days worth of your regular intake and we can see if anything stands out.

• Moderators
On 4/10/2019 at 5:02 PM, anamchara1317 said:

Hi and thanks for the info and encouragement.  I'm sure I will push myself (or be pushed in a positive way) to do the 30 days.  I just feel like it's been so long already and it's only been 10.

Basically, I ended up noticing that I like sweet potatoes and cucumbers and salmon much more than I used to (many of the same foods from last time).  And yes, I can distinguish and generally notice the varying flavors of food and combinations more.  But other than that, I just struggle to get enthusiastic about meats and veggies or salads (ugh, salads - I mostly hate them. So much chopping for so little return, imo).  

What do you mean by ingredient meals vs recipes?  I have never been one to enjoy or learn cooking for myself, and I get easily bored with the same thing or very similar thing day after day.  I'm better than I used to be about leftovers, but given a choice, I don't eat many.

I haven't eaten any dried fruit or nut bars.  I have eaten some veggies in between meals a few times, and/or compliant dried meat sticks.  I have the hardest time with hunger between breakfast and lunch, usually.  Schedule wise, I get 20- 25 minutes to heat/prep and eat lunch (from 11:05-11:30).  It's exhausting on top of the already taxing mentally charged job I have.  I don't always feel snacky after work, but end up eating dinner not until 6:30 or 7 at night.  And although I would normally keep drinking wine after dinner (my partner is a winemaker and we live on a working vineyard, ha), I haven't had many issues with cravings after dinner.

One thing I've also noticed this time around is that I am eating less - smaller portions - which is probably a big (and good) thing for me.  My fiancé and I eat fairly healthy food on a regular basis, but when I'm left to prep/cook/plan/shop alone, I'm far more likely to want to order pizza.  Or have burritos from our local taco stands.  

I 100% don't have any problems valuing myself, so I know it's not that.  I also mostly have really liked the food I've cooked.  I'm pretty sure my main thing is getting past the cravings stage and the meal planning/prep that makes me still so frustrated.

http://meljoulwan.com/2014/06/25/great-ingredients-recipe-required/

Thanks!  I've also decided that I am going to try a 80/20 paleo regime after reintroduction.  And that I will work on getting a handle on meal planning in advance (weekly), as well as shopping weekly and that way, I won't have to rely on a quick fix meal.

On 4/10/2019 at 3:00 PM, ladyshanny said:

Ingredient meals would be something like roasted chicken, cut veggies and guacamole. Basically putting things on a plate that fit the template but not necessarily a "recipe". Sardines, steamed brocoli and homemade mayo. Scrambled eggs, sauteed mushrooms topped with avocado. Stuff like that.

It sounds like maybe you aren't eating enough at breakfast? Feel free to post a few days worth of your regular intake and we can see if anything stands out.

I've been mostly eating 2 eggs at breakfast (and occasionally a Chomps turkey stick) with coffee.  When I have one, I put avocado slices on the eggs.

Archived