Starting April 11 -- Tomorrow!!!

LittleMissNerdy

Hello everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

I am Catherine and I am trying whole30 for the first time. I'm a full-time undergraduate at a tech school in Pasadena CA (any schoolmates???) and I'm trying this diet to clear my mind and find the foods that I might be intolerant to. I am also aiming for better skin and probably improve my migraines, my depression, and my anxiety. It's not gonna be smooth for me (especially when identifying whether the dining hall foods are whole30 compliant... I mean, Rosemary Chicken sounds safe but who knows about Caltech dining services...) but I'll try my best anyway!!! Starting tomorrow!!!!

• Administrators

Welcome! Glad to have you here! A little flag about anxiety - Whole30 tends to be much lower carb than people realize once they eliminate grains and added sugars. We highly recommend you include at least one fist sized serving of starchy veggie at least once a day. More if you are very active and more if you are feeling a bit low. The starchy veggie helps with serotonin which, when it sinks too low due to a lower carb intake, can affect depression and anxiety. :)

Hi Catherine, I did a pre-start on Monday and this is day four for me.  I second Ladyshanny's carb suggestion.  I realized yesterday that I had not had one carb since Monday and could really feel it.  I wish you luck and if all my ducks are in a row my start date will be April 15.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 1:03 PM, ladyshanny said:

Welcome! Glad to have you here! A little flag about anxiety - Whole30 tends to be much lower carb than people realize once they eliminate grains and added sugars. We highly recommend you include at least one fist sized serving of starchy veggie at least once a day. More if you are very active and more if you are feeling a bit low. The starchy veggie helps with serotonin which, when it sinks too low due to a lower carb intake, can affect depression and anxiety. :)

What constitutes as starchy carbs?  I consider myself fairly active (3 weight lifting sessions per week and 3-4 sessions of cardio).  I'm a healthy weight but wouldn't mind uncovering a little bit of muscle during my Whole30.  I am on day 12 and find myself having trouble staying full without potato at each meal.  I am eating probably 60% sweet potato and 40% yellow potato.  I am eating 2 servings of fruit per day (oranges, apples, grapes, strawberries).  I purchased some zucchini last night wondering if that was a starchy carb?  Any ideas would be appreciated!! I want to do this right but I also don't want to be starving. :) 

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, haleywoodworth said:

What constitutes as starchy carbs?  I consider myself fairly active (3 weight lifting sessions per week and 3-4 sessions of cardio).  I'm a healthy weight but wouldn't mind uncovering a little bit of muscle during my Whole30.  I am on day 12 and find myself having trouble staying full without potato at each meal.  I am eating probably 60% sweet potato and 40% yellow potato.  I am eating 2 servings of fruit per day (oranges, apples, grapes, strawberries).  I purchased some zucchini last night wondering if that was a starchy carb?  Any ideas would be appreciated!! I want to do this right but I also don't want to be starving. :) 

Starchy veggies: yam, sweet potato, winter squash (zuke is summer squash so not a starch), potatoes, carrots, rutabaga, turnip, beets etc. :)

Archived