Avid snacker...

Shane Peterson

Hey everybody.. day 4 here, feeling all around fine besides occasional light headache and wanting to go to bed earlier. My problem is SNACKING. I have been snacking on compliant cashews, pistachios, larabars, beef sticks. This is usually between breakfast and lunch since eggs and fruit dont usually hold me over till lunch. How bad is it for me to snack if they are compliant? Ive always been a huge snacker, so I am wondering if its best just to tough it out between meals.. thoughts?

• Moderators

The meal template and not snacking are recommendations, not rules. We think you'll have the best results if you do your best to follow those recommendations, but you're still doing a Whole30 if you don't.

If you want to cut out snacking, try to make sure your meals match the meal template (download it here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/). So, eggs and fruit doesn't match the meal template, which is probably part of why you need a snack between breakfast and lunch. Also, anecdotally, many people find they get hungry faster when they have fruit with breakfast than when they don't, even when the rest of the meal is the same. Try making a breakfast that includes a palm-sized portion of protein (or if eggs are your only protein, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, probably 3-4), a serving or two of fat from those listed on the template, and 2-3 cups of vegetables, and then if you want some fruit with that, you can have some fruit. And remember that there is nothing that says you have to have eggs for breakfast -- anything you eat at any other time of day works for your first meal of the day as well. Have leftovers, or soup, or vegetable hash (like this: https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-breakfast-hash-whole30-egg-free/), or a big salad (try this one: https://eatthegains.com/whole30-breakfast-salad-poached-eggs/). Ideally, each of your meals will keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours.

If you do need to eat between meals, try to have a mini-meal with some protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three. So a beef stick and some olives and maybe some carrots and celery. Or a hard boiled egg and mayo or guacamole. 

Wow, thank you so much for all of the recommendations and suggestions, I really appreciate it. Self admittedly, I don't allocate much time for my breakfast in the morning, which is why it is usually lacking in calories and substance. Eggs and fruit are quick and easy, so its a lazy cop out. I think I will start even meal prepping my breakfasts as well as my lunch and dinners. 

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Shane Peterson said:

Wow, thank you so much for all of the recommendations and suggestions, I really appreciate it. Self admittedly, I don't allocate much time for my breakfast in the morning, which is why it is usually lacking in calories and substance. Eggs and fruit are quick and easy, so its a lazy cop out. I think I will start even meal prepping my breakfasts as well as my lunch and dinners. 

You can still have an easy breakfast... roast a sweet potato the night before and then have eggs, sweet potato, some cut veggies (tomato, mushrooms, cukes) and some guacamole or ranch... voila ;) 

Archived