Colonoscopy

Leigh Ann 24

I'm having a colonoscopy and I'm on my last week of 30 days. I don't want to stop now...I've come so far! But I can't eat anything the day before except jello and popsicles. Will it be OK if I have sugar free jello or sugar free popsicles? I can't make my own since I can't actually eat fruit.

• Moderators

You could talk to your doctor, it's possible that you could have broth and that you could make popsicles from fruit juice. But if you have to have popsicles and jello because that's what your doctor says you have to have, then you would follow your doctor's instructions. I don't know that sugar-free is necessarily a better choice than regular ones with sugar, unless you find some that are just juice rather than sugar substitutes, so go with what your doctor recommends or what you prefer, taste-wise or based on having the least bad ingredients. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's a bit late to the punch here, but you can make just about any type of gelatin you can think of with some creative use of something like agar-agar (it's sourced from seaweed, but mods can correct me if I'm wrongly assuming it'd be compliant ingredient-wise). I've seen some pretty neat stuff using coconut milk and vegetables, though fruits can be used as well and obviously you'd have to tweak things a bit since recipes will tend to call for some type of sweetener... you wouldn't need the whole fruits, either, so no need to actually eat them (just toss them into a processor for a puree and strain, or just use the juice).

Hopefully that helps for the future, since I realize that we're past the time when I assume your procedure would've been. :) 

Archived