Feels so wrong to force myself to eat

okapi

Help! My body is hungry but even my favorite meals are unappealing. I actually feel sickened contemplating the food before me. I read that I should force myself to eat full portions anyway or my metabolism will shut down. That feels like struggling with the Whole30 is actually hurting, not improving, my health. And since I’m on this to get healthier and heal my skewed relationship with food, eating when I’m not hungry feels like I’m not listening to my body at all. Which I’m trying hard to do more, not less.

Not looking for a way out. Don’t have any desire or intention to quit. Just don’t want to mess up my body while also doing something really hard. Usually these Qs get answers like “try a new recipe!” Nope. Today I ate my very favorite meal - got no enjoyment and couldn’t finish much at all. 

Details: I’ve never been a big meat eater, but I’m trying hard these days. However I adore bacon - and couldn’t even finish the serving today. Even fruit isn’t tempting, though when I do have it, at least it’s better than meat. I’m not overdoing fruit. 

• Administrators

Sorry you're struggling. Food aversions are fairly common during Whole30. The reason we tend to tell people to eat anyway is because lack of eating can breed nausea which creates further food aversion which causes people to eat even less. It's a nasty circle.  Food aversions and this sort of thing you're experiencing is almost always a result of hormonal rebalancing. The only way through is through. You know your body needs to eat, you can't exist on nothing which is also why we tell people not to listen when this sort of thing happens. Your body, when balanced, would never tell you not to eat all day, so you know that it's a mixed up signal. 

Try for something super easy to digest - sweet potatoes, soft scrambled eggs, chicken breast etc. 

If you think it's something besides Whole30 adjustment, we encourage you to see a primary care practitioner as we cannot diagnose medical issues here.

• Moderators

Sorry to hear this and I know what you mean.  What day are you on now? 

Also something to consider, are you eating within an hour of waking in the morning and before drinking coffee?  How is your sleep hygiene in general? Are you turning off any screens (TV, phone, etc) at least 2 hours before bed? This can be a part of not feeling hungry at the right times.

LadyShanny had some good food suggestions above. If you'd like to reply with what you have been eating and your habits we may be able to offer additional ideas.

You can do this!

Archived