Restarting/Vent

I’m going to restart my program. I don’t have an official date yetI just can’t eat out. Nothing is affordable, convenient, and compliant. I can’t eat Chipotle everyday and I’m tired of chicken, turkey, and salad greens spinach and sparse portions of fruit. I’m always hungry when I comply. I’m trying to make healthy food choices but like I’m broke dude and I work 40 hours a week. The last thing I want to do on my one day off is cook. I don’t have the fancy kitchen equipment like a food processor to make my own sauces and the meal plans are daunting to say the least. I may have bit off more than I can chew by starting because it sounded good and I liked what I read on the website. This program is challenging me in ways I never imagined. I love a challenge and that’s why I don’t want to quit it. How does a busy single mom successfully do the Whole30? I need support. 

So I decided to also come really clean so here’s the redone post

I’m going to restart my program. I don’t have an official date yet. Easter was a non complaint day. I ate a few pieces of candy, a bacon egg and cheese sandwich from Starbucks, put honey in my tea because my throat was killing me and the honey was there and easier to get then buying throat coat tea that morning. Dinner was just as bad. My mom puts butter in everything and so I ate without speaking up that I needed special preparation for my food. I ate some fried okra yesterday and some peanuts today because I was starving. I ate my grilled nuggets and fruit from Chic-fil-A only to be told those are also no good. like ugh I can’t eat anything anymore. 

I just can’t eat out. Nothing is affordable, convenient, and compliant. I can’t afford to eat Chipotle everyday and I’m tired of chicken, turkey, and salad greens, spinach and sparse portions of fruit. I’m always hungry when I comply. I’m trying to make healthy food choices but like I’m broke dude and I work 40 hours a week. The last thing I want to do on my one day off is cook. I don’t have the fancy kitchen equipment like a food processor to make my own sauces and the meal plans are daunting to say the least. I may have bit off more than I can chew by starting because it sounded good and I liked what I read on the website. 

I’m telling you all this because I’m trying to have integrity with myself and make that a ruling principle of my life.  I started the Whole30 as a part of my spiritual journey. I felt like if I could completely honor my body and do this program then I could also discipline my mind. This program is challenging me in ways I never imagined. I love a challenge and that’s why I don’t want to quit it. How does a busy single mom successfully do the Whole30? I need support. 

• Administrators

Hi @Loyal Leslie - sorry you're struggling and good on you for rethinking your post. Whole30 definitely can take some people by surprise. Google "Whole30 budget" and there are lots of ideas. Just on this forum we have a tonne of threads about this: Here's a forum google search to get you started:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEV_enCA838CA838&ei=GbS_XI-YAszh-gThz47AAg&q=forum.whole30.com%3A+budget&oq=forum.whole30.com%3A+budget&gs_l=psy-ab.3...63101.68245..68377...1.0..0.85.1798.26......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j35i39j0i131j0j0i67j0i131i20i263j0i30j0i5i10i30j0i8i30j0i22i30j33i160.7_Lkbs7NoIo

As for having time, the program does take a time committment and it often means reprioritizing other things in your life. Lots of our members will evaluate where they are spending their time (tv, scrolling social media, FB etc) and make different choices. Maybe it means getting up an hour earlier? We also recommend that if you are cooking that you make extra. An entire sheetpan of chicken thighs, a bunch of steamed brocoli etc. 

I'm sorry you're finding it so challenging, and especially over special family holidays it can be rough.  Here are some strategies that I've used.  (Also, I'm single, no kid, so I'm not cooking for anyone else.)  Are you trying to have your kid also be whole 30 (it might be too challenging at this point.)?

What are your goals/motivation for doing the Whole30?  Keep those in mind.

If you make soup, make some extra and freeze it for future meals.

Same with casseroles/egg bakes type thing.

I don't suffer from food boredom and I don't need something new everyday, so I'm a huge leftover fan.

I'll often roast a tray of veggies on my top oven tray, bake a tray of meatballs at the same time on my bottom oven tray.  While eating those for dinner, I'll have two more trays going for leftovers.  One time cooking, multiple meals.

Depending on grocery stores in your area, rotisserie chickens can be available with only compliant ingredients, but watch your labels.

Your meals don't have to be instagram-worthy or even look like someone else's idea of a complete meal.

It also depends on what type of resources you have at work/home, but assuming a freezer and microwave:

A package of frozen vegetables, some coconut milk, some canned chicken or salmon: Microwave for 5 minutes, add salt and pepper: Easy delicious soup!

I've done some sauteed onions, add a can of diced tomatoes and a can of tuna, simmer until hot: Easy meal.  Can top with some olives.

Things I often use for traveling, no refrigeration or prep: package or can of salmon, some baby foods of sweet potato puree.  (Ideal? No.  Do-able?  Yes.)

Yes, rotisserie and canned foods can be more expensive, but they are far less expensive than dining out.  Always read labels!

Somewhere along the way I bookmarked this thread:

https://forum.whole30.com/topic/53037-30-meal-prep-for-5-breakfasts-and-5-lunches-in-45-minutes/?tab=comments#comment-483813

Good luck!  

• Moderators

You can do this!

The cookbook Well Fed by Melissa Joulwan saved my bacon on my first Whole30. Simple, fast recipes, nothing fancy.

Here's a post from her on making meals out of ingredients (Basically, no cooking): https://meljoulwan.com/2014/06/25/great-ingredients-recipe-required/

Take one day to knock out some basics and do it all at one time, you can be done in an hour or two: grill a bunch of chicken (or bake), brown ground meat on the stove, make some protein salad using compliant tuna or salmon, boil a dozen eggs. 

A stick blender can be your best friend and should be available for about $30. You can make mayo and all sorts of sauces. Or you can spend more on Primal Kitchen mayo.

Frozen broccoli is super versatile and you can microwave it. Frozen veggies are easy to toss in the pan you just used to cook your meat in and make a ton of food for the week.

The Whole30 is some work, for sure. We all feel you on that! But you're worth the extra effort.

17 hours ago, ultrarunnergirl said:

Frozen broccoli is super versatile and you can microwave it. Frozen veggies are easy to toss in the pan you just used to cook your meat in and make a ton of food for the week.

You can even roast broccoli straight from frozen. 'Bout 400 degrees, heat the sheet tray and oil first, throw the broccoli on (literally open bag and pour on tray), cook until done. 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

You're doing great! Whole30 definitely requires work, and it's my favorite part of coaching people. Celebrating everything that it requires to complete is huge! You've gotten some great suggestions already from other members. Have you implemented any of these and seen success? We'd love to know.  @Loyal Leslie

Archived