Overwhelmed!

Kelli70

So I am starting Whole 30 May 1 for the first time.  Did anyone else feel overwhelmed with all the information when they first started?  I keep reading up on it and finding recipes. I get frustrated because I find "whole 30" recipes that really aren't because they contain dairy or some other non-compliant ingredient.  I have downloaded the pantry list, priority foods list and the off-limits list.  Any other tips anyone can provide would definitely be appreciated!

Definitely felt overwhelmed!  I am on day 12 of my first round and what I've found is that keeping it simple is best and slowly introducing new things when you're ready.  I have leftovers for breakfast, a chicken/bell pepper/onion/spinach scrambled in coconut oil with (compliant) salsa and a piece of fruit for lunch and some sort of potato/sweet potato, meat, a veggie and some fruit and nuts for supper.  Especially in week 1 I say keep the recipes simple to foods you enjoy and save the experimenting with new things for week 2 or when you get bored!  That made it so much easier for me.  One meal at a time, good luck! :)

Hi and welcome to Whole30! I was definitely a bit overwhelmed when I first started, but here are a few tips that might help! 

General Tips

• Keep your meals simple. Grilled steak, grilled asparagus and a blob of mayo. Eggs with some frozen vegetables scrambled in there. A pan sheet meal with chicken and root vegetables. 
  • Understand the Meal Template. I'm surprised by how many people have never seen or heard of it when they start. You can find it here: https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf. Let me know if you have any questions about it! 
  • Start thinking of breakfast as just another meal. If you can get over the concept that breakfast has to be breakfast-y foods, a whole new world will open up! And leftovers for breakfast is super fast and convenient. One of my favorite breakfast meals is now leftover BBQ chicken, steamed carrots, and guacamole. 
  • If you have the financial means, buy some pre-made sauces and dips. Tessemae's, The New Primal, Primal Kitchen, and Yais Thai have some amazing products. Check out the @Whole30Approved Instagram feed for lots of Whole30 approved products you can buy. 
  • Always, always, always, always, always read your labels and your ingredient lists. It's worth the few extra seconds for you to be empowered to be mindful of and know what's in the things you eat! 

As for recipes, I totally understand your struggle! There are so, so many people out there who try to take advantage of Whole30 popularity and brand their recipes that way even though they aren't! But there are lots of reliable sources, so here are a few of my favorites. I still encourage you to read and know what's in the things you're making, but these guys are reliable for their Whole30 meals. You can also check out the @Whole30Recipes Instagram feed for more recipes and featured bloggers (all of these folks have been featured many times). 

Reliable, Whole30 Food Bloggers

I wish you the very best of luck! This program really is amazing and I hope you achieve the results you're looking for! 

Funny you mention breakfast, because that is where I am struggling to plan.  I usually have a couple pieces of ww toast with peanut butter, a piece of fruit and a cup of peanut butter.  It's been hard trying to revamp it and come up with something quick and easy.  I don't want to spend a lot of time making breakfast. I am going to pick up some of the frozen Whole 30 meals from Walmart as a back-up until I have adjusted.

Honestly, when I don't have leftovers, I have scrambled eggs, bacon, and soup. I originally hated eggs when I first started Whole30 but that changed over time for some reason. Partially, I think i was trying to make them fancy and I just can't do that in the morning. So, I go with four eggs scrambled in ghee (or leftover bacon fat if I'm having bacon) with a splash of coconut milk, bacon (sometimes) and one of the three soups listed below. I make them in large batches, put them in mason jars, and freeze them. So I just pull one out the night before and then warm it up in the morning. Voila! Fast and easy. 

Here are the three soups I rotate (listed in order of my favorites): 

1. Golden Cauliflower Soup: http://meljoulwan.com/2012/10/24/golden-cauliflower-soup/
  2. Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup: https://meljoulwan.com/2012/11/05/silky-gingered-zucchini-soup/
  3. Roasted Carrot Caraway Soup: https://meljoulwan.com/2017/10/07/roasted-carrot-caraway-soup/

Archived