Sign in to follow this  
Shane Peterson

POTATOES

So what's the deal with potatoes? I see that they used to not be allowed and now they are. For some reason, when I pan fry up some taters in olive oil and seasoning (quite regularly) I feel like they might not be healthy for me. How much potatoes are too much potatoes? I love sweet potatoes as well, but I seem to have an intolerance to them of some sort. I get really bloated and belchy when I eat them. It does make a difference if I peel them first though, but still. So in turn, any recipe I see with sweet potatoes, I sub potatoes. I probably eat potatoes once every other day, is that bad?

We recommend a fist sized serving of starchy veggie at least once a day and potato falls under that umbrella. I would branch out a bit if you can to things like carrots, beets, turnip, rutabaga, winter squash etc but if you just like potato, there's no problem with that. We encourage people to keep an eye on themselves that the potatoes are not pushing other vegetables off their plate. The starchy veggie should be eaten with at least 2 cups of non starchy veggie plus your protein and fat for a balanced meal.

People who are very active or who have high energy jobs etc can usually afford to include more starchy veggie than people who are sedentary or who have desire to lose weight. We recommend everyone at least start with the fist sized serving and see how they feel and then ramp up or down from there depending on how they feel and what they are wanting to achieve.

Great, that helps alot. Thank you! I'll be honest, I usually just stick to one veggie + protein + fat a meal, and dont often throw a variety of veggies in unless its a salad, so this is a great reminder.