Fasting?

Hello! I have read that Whole 30 doesn't recommend fasting of any sort due to "adding more variables" into the complicated diet plan. I don't really find the diet all to that difficult if you plan it out, but I want to experiment with fasting while on Whole 30. I have done intermittent fasting (16-8) and also full 24 hour fasts, and feel pretty good after (pre-whole 30). I have also been researching prolonged 72 hour fasts and the many benefits you may experience with it "resetting" your gut health and auto immunity. I am on Day 19 and I have faded in and out of the "tigers blood" feeling, but I honestly haven't had any satisfying bowel movements since I have started. I started the diet pretty meat heavy, not consuming enough veggies, and snacking too much on nuts, but have since followed the meal template pretty strictly and have not seen any changes. I was hoping that a 72 hour water fast would help reset my digestive tract, and considering I wouldn't be eating anything, it would still be Whole 30 compliant. Has anyone had any experience fasting during whole 30? If so, what day did you start fasting and for how long?

Thanks!

Probably no one here is going to suggest you fast, intermittent or otherwise. It goes against the meal template and the recommended schedule for when to eat your first meal, how long you should stay satiated, etc. 

If you want to fast and start doing your own "WholeShane", have at it. But it will also mean that from that point on anything we'd normally recommend to people could be skewed by the fact that you up and stopped eating for 3 days. 

Instead of complicating the Whole30, have you tried listing out a couple days' worth of meals with portion sizes, water intake, and exercise? It could be that even though you've moved in the direction of following the template better, there's room for improvement. 

Edit: I know studies are suggesting this is the best new thing, but the key to those studies, from what I can tell, is that the participants cut out dairy, gluten and grains.

For people like me with a history of disordered eating, it’s a bad idea. I think adding fasting to the whole 30 is also a bad idea, *especially* a three day fast.

• 2 months later...

Archived