Sign in to follow this  
Pandora Black

Animal Products

So I’m coming from a mostly vegan background. For the last 12+ years I’ve limited my animal products because I saw a few documentaries about factory farming that really freaked me out. Meat and eggs were something I indulged in occasionally (I’m very lactose intolerant, so cutting out dairy wasn’t too hard). 

Last time I did a whole 30 I ran out of money halfway through (I’m disabled and on a fixed income), because I bought all the organic, pasture raised, blessed by virgins meats. This time I’m going to have to buy stuff that’s factory farmed, there’s just no getting around it. I can’t afford to eat pasture raised meat at every meal, no way Jose. 

So how do I forgive myself? I really care about animals, but I also weigh well over 300 lbs and I’m ill because of my weight.

I think this is a really hard thing to grapple with and there is no easy answer. I think what I would suggest is that you have to care about yourself more. As silly as it sounds, maybe it would be helpful to you to say a blessing before using animal products and thank the animal for what it's done for you and tell it that you believe in happy animals everywhere and that you are going to fight for them and their wellbeing but first you need to heal yourself before you can do work towards them. They'll understand.

Wow so much has changed in three years this program has exploded. I was browsing the affiliate links and I just found https://www.butcherbox.com/ and I feel a little stupid for not finding it sooner. I’m in a bit of a food dessert, my ONLY option locally for pasture raised meats is Whole Foods and their prices are insane. But I can buy almost a month’s worth of protein for $238 which is like a really decent price. I’m going to do it and I think that will make me feel a LOT better about the animal products in my diet. I can live without organic produce as a trade off!