cinco_mouser's log Apr29 - May31

cinco_mouser

I'm starting this process, but unhappily so. I'm not joyfully walking toward this, but I AM committed to doing this thing. My selected date is 33 days rather than 30, because I like to start on Mondays and stop at the end of a thing (month). Today, drinking black coffee was easier than I expected, but I basically spent the entire day famished. Like...it's 5pm and I've achieved a state of not hungry JUST NOW after eating 12oz of bacon. It's not like I wasn't eating, either, ya'll. It's not the end of the world, but man. I would love to NOT be starting for the next 32 days. 

Breakfast: poached eggs, fried sweet potatoes, coffee

Pre-lunch: poached eggs, friend sweet potatoes

Lunch: borscht with chicken

OMG SO HUNGRY: borscht with chicken (two bowls!), and bacon. Like...a LOT of bacon. A package of bacon. Y'all. I was so hungry. 

Dinner: garlic rosemary chicken, sautéd kale

• Moderators

Have you checked out the meal template? You can download it here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/ -- try to make your meals all match that, and it'll help a bunch.

So, for breakfast, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, so probably 3-4 (or if you don't want that many, have some other protein along with them to make up the difference), 2-3 cups of vegetables (maybe a cup of fried sweet potatoes, and a cup or two of something else, like spinach or broccoli or zucchini. Add a serving or two of fat in addition to any oil you cooked stuff in -- so a big handful of olives, or half to a whole avocado, or some mayo to dip your sweet potatoes and other veggies in, or get really fancy and make a hollandaise sauce to go over your eggs, or maybe a couple of strips of bacon (which is a little protein, but mostly fat). 

Then for lunch, have either 2-3 cups of borscht, or some borscht and some other vegetables to make 2-3 cups of veggies total, and make sure you have a piece of chicken at least the length, width, and height of the palm of your hand (sometimes if you have bone-in chicken this can be tricky, because it may not be as much meat as it looks like). And add some fat -- add some coconut milk/cream to your borscht if it's not already in there, or again mayo or something for dipping, or any oil-based sauce you like, or olives or avocados or nuts/seeds.

And again for dinner, lots of veggies, make sure you have enough protein, and add a serving or two of fat.

Day 2 has been MUCH better than Day 1. I slept like a rock; I bought some fizzy water (sparkling mineral water) to brighten my afternoons. 

Breakfast: Asian chicken and cabbage hash with poached eggs; coffee with coconut cream

Lunch: borscht with chicken; sparkling water of deliciousness

Dinner: Stir-fried greens with sausage; sweet potato and kale gratin; 

Day 3: 

I slept like a rock, again. I woke up zero percent hungry, so breakfast occurred at 10:30am. I'm enjoying the process of pour-over coffee, and have come to terms with the joy of black coffee. Turns out coffee is like chocolate, with all manner of nuanced flavors to reflect on! This pleases me. Especially since I'm not allowed chocolate. Or wine. The opportunity to reflect over a comforting beverage is a nice continuity of life for me. 

Breakfast (leftovers): Fat sausage, stir fried greens, and sweet potato with kale gratin, plus two eggs, and black coffee

Lunch: Borscht with chicken, berries with coconut milk

Dinner: Indian beef curry with cauliflower mash

Modifications to Day 3:

I posted about day 3 before actually making dinner, which is when I discovered that my dinner recipe was a slow cooker recipe requiring 6 hours. Unhelpful 5pm discovery. So instead I made deconstructed egg rolls. These are usually a favorite meal for me, so I was excited to find the compliant recipe! 

But oh! Alas! The coconut aminos I acquired, unbeknownst to me, contain apple cider vinegar. ACV does not agree with my digestive tract in the slightest (no apple products do unless the apple has been baked into oblivion first). The tummy upset was very, very real last night. I'll be researching ACV-free coconut aminos to see if there is an alternative available. 

Aside from that, I slept like the dead. 

I need to find a way to mini-celebrate making wise choices during the work week. I've realized that I typically mini-celebrate with food, which is not going to work out well until June. My husband will be racing in Moab this weekend, so my options are pretty open as to how I mini-celebrate. I'm thinking possibly purchasing a fancy coffee bean to use this weekend? Possibly a massage is in order. 

I'm so sorry about the apple stomach! ACV is just awful tasting stuff period! I haven't tried my coconut aminos yet, but I don't have apple issues. I just hate ACV which my hippie friends all tell me is the cure for everything. 

Moab! What does your husband race? 

I'm one of 5 people on the planet that hates coffee but if that works for you go for it. I personally vote for massages! But that's more expensive than coffee beans. 

2 hours ago, cinco_mouser said:

I made deconstructed egg rolls. These are usually a favorite meal for me, so I was excited to find the compliant recipe! 

Ooo! I recently pinned a compliant deconstructed egg roll recipe, but I've never made it before. I'm wondering if the recipe you used was the same one that I have -- can you link it? So excited to try it.

1 hour ago, MAYHEM said:

Ooo! I recently pinned a compliant deconstructed egg roll recipe, but I've never made it before. I'm wondering if the recipe you used was the same one that I have -- can you link it? So excited to try it.

https://tastythin.com/whole30-egg-roll-bowls/

I made it without mushrooms and sesame oil, as these are restricted items for me.

Day 4:

Breakfast: poached eggs, cabbage hash; coffee with coconut cream

Lunch: borscht with chicken, poached eggs; fizzy water with a slice of orange in it (SO YUM)

For reasons that remain unknown to me, I enjoy watching baking shows, but only when I cannot eat bread. I don't actually want to eat bread; I just want to LOOK at the bread. 

2 hours ago, cinco_mouser said:

Day 4:

Breakfast: poached eggs, cabbage hash; coffee with coconut cream

Lunch: borscht with chicken, poached eggs; fizzy water with a slice of orange in it (SO YUM)

For reasons that remain unknown to me, I enjoy watching baking shows, but only when I cannot eat bread. I don't actually want to eat bread; I just want to LOOK at the bread. 

You've made me Google what Borscht is, I had no clue. Heard of it before but didn't know what it was. I'm gonna say that's a no go for me, but beets are supposed to be awesome for you.

I'm a little nervous to watch Master Chef, one of our regular shows. I was flipping through a magazine yesterday that was full of recipes, something I normally really enjoy,  and I just had to stop. I found it too depressing. 

Day 5: I didn't know I could wake up and feel fully awake before coffee

Seriously, I'm having some of the best sleep of my life right now. I fall asleep instantly, stay asleep all night, and wake up refreshed and alert. The coffee isn't even a necessity for waking up anymore. I drink it because it's a lovely habit of happiness. My husband is traveling to Utah this weekend and I've scheduled a pleasantly active but relaxing weekend of Things. 

Breakfast: black coffee, roasted sweet potato with leftover beef curry and poached eggs

Lunch: taco salad of deliciousness

Dinner: leftovers from the week compiled into some sort of thing

Definitely Not Dessert: puffed pears

Exercise: required step count + short run + easy bike ride

Day 6: Still sleeping well and today I have zero hunger

Today has been low key and easy. The weather is gorgeous. I've trimmed rose bushes, walked, wandered several nurseries, and spent unexpected time with my daughter. It's been a good, uncomplicated day. Tomorrow is meal planning, grocery shopping, and meal prep for the week. I'm less excited for all that than could be hoped for, but I am letting that feeling just exist. 

Breakfast: leftover salad; coffee + coconut cream

Lunch: leftover salad; sweet potato; fizzy water

Dinner: Leftover salad + some new salad + roasted root veggies and bacon; puffed pears; sun tea

18 hours ago, cinco_mouser said:

Tomorrow is meal planning, grocery shopping, and meal prep for the week. I'm less excited for all that than could be hoped for

It's so much more work than before, I totally get that. and I used to meal plan and shop before but this is definitely different. 

Day 7: posted a day late

Breakfast: compliant leftovers; coffee with coconut cream

Lunch: also compliant leftovers; fizzy water

Snack: coconut cream + strawberries + mint not-ice-cream

Dinner: chicken + kale + bacon + butternut squash noodles (OMG SO GOOD)

Reflection: A very busy but very good day. Grocery shopping happened later in the day which was a terrible plan. I was both tired and hungry. The thing I wanted most in the entire world was Lloyd's Ribs, which are slathered in tasty non-compliant deliciousness. It took a lot of effort to not procure them. Like...an embarrassing amount of will power went into not purchasing those ribs. They will go onto the "when this is over..." list. 

The not-ice-cream was divine and perfect for an unexpectedly warm afternoon at home. 

Day 8: How is even possible to wake up this mentally clear?!

Breakfast: sweet potato + eggs; black coffee

Lunch: loaded sweet potatoes; fizzy water

Dinner: Coconut chicken nuggets + steamed Swiss chard

Movement: Short run at Green Mountain + full step count (12k steps)

Reflections: Inflammation symptoms are almost completely gone. Abdominal upset hovers close to zero at all times. I am never hungry. I am never without energy. It's all very annoying that this is so effective because it means I'll need to keep it up. Gross. 

47 minutes ago, cinco_mouser said:

I am post-run and the cravings have become very, very real, y'all. Like. I should definitely not enter the kitchen because I am not in a place of restraint, but also I need to eat something. This is not ideal. 

Did you have your protein meal? Not a craving response but at least it's something. 

Awesome on all your NSV!!!!! except that part where that means keeping this up. I'm torn. Do I want this to work because I'm sick of feeling like this, but if this works then I'm eating like this for more then 30 days. 

Where'd you get Butternut Squash noodles, or did you make them? I kinda fail at Zoodle making. But I saw at Walmart, yes Walmart, that they have a number of different veggie noodles. Can't remember if Butternut was one or not. 

19 hours ago, Laurie's All In said:

Where'd you get Butternut Squash noodles, or did you make them? I kinda fail at Zoodle making. But I saw at Walmart, yes Walmart, that they have a number of different veggie noodles. Can't remember if Butternut was one or not. 

Whole Foods always has a variety of veggie noodles (kohlrabi, butternut squash, sweet potato, zucchini, yellow squash). They are all amazing. If you cook them with light oil (I use coconut) over a very high heat, just sort of flash frying them, they are PERFECT. 

Day 9: I didn't fail yesterday, and I'm not planning to fail today either. 

Reflections on yesterday: I managed to get into the kitchen, grab compliant food, and shove it in before I could embrace eating the entire kitchen. Once the oh-gods-eat-something rush was over, remaining compliant was easy for the evening. In hindsight, I should have walked in the door from the run, immediately into the kitchen, and eaten something. This is not a habit for me, I usually wait to eat until I am cooled off, often after showering. That's not going to be a thing for this program, so I will adjust my post-exercise eating pattern. 

Breakfast: Black coffee, ham & broccoli frittatas

Lunch: Bacon + leftover soup 

Dinner: Scallops + green beans

Exercise: achieving step count for the day (12k)

Archived