cinco_mouser's log Apr29 - May31

cinco_mouser

Great reflections and seeing how you need to adjust! I never ate immediately after working out either.  Come in make my protein shake (man I miss those) sit at my desk check my workout in Strava and Training Peaks while sipping on the shake. Take it upstairs get in the shower and drink most of it while getting dressed. 

Day 4,573 of my captivity:

I hate everything and everything sucks and there is no such thing as joy ever again. 

Breakfast: coffee with coconut cream; two egg & ham frittatas, leftover greens

Lunch: fizzy water; one egg & ham frittata, leftover greens, sweet potato coated in bacon fat 

Dinner: Paleo Indian Beef Curry with Herbed Cauli-hash

Thoughts & Reflections: Today sucks. I'm 99% it's hormonal, but that knowledge helps exactly none. I am grouchy, and feel like a malevolent cloud just waiting to unleash Armageddon on an unsuspecting victim. Maybe it's the final winter storm that's currently coating everything in frigid rain. Maybe it's the snow forecast for tomorrow. Maybe it's the fact that there's a thing of muffins sitting on the kitchen counter that I have to continue not eating every single time I walk past them. Who knows. But today? Not the best day. I am now 30% complete with this experiment. I thought for a brief moment I could stop on Memorial day, instead, but that is only 28 days, rather than 30 (decidedly fewer than my self-prescribed 33). Sigh. So. Since Memorial Day wouldn't let me finish at 30 days I may as well continue. Annoying. 

I am very hopeful that tomorrow is a better mental health space than today.

I'm so sorry!! I wish there was something I could do. Sounds like KILL ALL THINGS has shown up. But I'm impressed with your soldiering on. Those muffins would be out in the garbage bin at my house, just FYI, you are a better woman than I!! 

Memorial Day seems ridiculously early doesn't it? In my head it's always like May 31st.  It really screwed up my planning as well for these 30 days. I thought I would end that weekend while with the team out in Gunnison for a big mountain bike race and I could party with my team (my husband's racing not me) But nooooo and that doesn't even account for reintroduction so just screwed eight ways from Sunday. 

I have found that writing up my NSV really helps and then celebrate by doing something simple like buying some flowers, or sitting someplace that you like, I need to come up with more non-money things as money is tight right now. Sometimes just taking an Epson's salt bath with bubbly water to drink is very nice. I hope you feel better and during this time we all, especially me, need to be gentle with ourselves. I need to stop the negative talk to my self and look around and find something that makes me happy. Sometimes that takes a while to find but it can be simple like wow I made my bed today or cleaned up the kitchen really well or wow those flowers/plant is a very vibrant color. 

@Laurie's All In I understand that issue with Memorial day. The 20th is also my birthday as well. 

Reflections on Yesterday: Yesterday sucked from start to finish. It ended with me getting all my steps in during a sleet/snow storm. Basically the only way yesterday could have ended. At least it is over. 

Day 11: Today is a better day

Breakfast: leftover beef curry with herbed cauli-hash; black coffee; fizzy water

Lunch: Leftover chicken + kale soup with newly added ground beef; more fizzy water

Dinner: Roasted dijon (not actually dijon) chicken & green beans; MORE fizzy water

Reflections: I am going to allow yesterday to exist as it did - horribly - and move forward with today. I am able to eat about half of the portion sizes dictated by the program without hunger between meals,  and I am choosing to let that be a thing. I used to struggle with binge eating, and am unwilling to try to force food into my face. If I prepare a meal and cannot finish it, the remnants wait. If I get hungry before the next meal, those remnants are the snack option available to me. This is working for me. 

I'm on day four of craving a banana with peanut butter, or a banana with almond butter, or a banana with literally any nut butter please gods so delicious. I'm not supposed to eat bananas, peanuts, any form of tree nut (except coconut) and very few seeds, if any. So basically this craving is a nice pile of Nope. But seriously?! Day FOUR of this craving?? I'd love to not have this craving anymore. Crave a chicken wing or something. Denying myself pseudo-healthy food seems ridiculous.

I'm really excited for this winter storm to go away. I'm very hopeful this is the last one for the season. 

That craving sounds like a real drag - here's hoping that you'll stop wanting bananas and that snow will stop falling.

I'm sending you good energy!

9 minutes ago, cinco_mouser said:

Denying myself pseudo-healthy food seems ridiculous.

This is something I've felt a lot too - mostly about tofu and beans --- these are things I've thought of as healthy foods for a long time - healthy for me and for the planet - and it's weird to say no to them.

4 hours ago, cinco_mouser said:

I am able to eat about half of the portion sizes dictated by the program without hunger between meals,  and I am choosing to let that be a thing. I used to struggle with binge eating, and am unwilling to try to force food into my face. If I prepare a meal and cannot finish it, the remnants wait. If I get hungry before the next meal, those remnants are the snack option available to me. This is working for me. 

That sounds like a great plan! I struggle with the eating past my hunger point to be full until the next meal. So yea, I'm snacking more than I probably should. 

4 hours ago, cinco_mouser said:

Denying myself pseudo-healthy food seems ridiculous.

I'm really excited for this winter storm to go away. I'm very hopeful this is the last one for the season. 

Agree 100% on both counts!!  Why no bananas?

I have problems with bananas at time too. They repeat on my. My next round I am going to go even further with restrictions to eventually be Whole 30 AIP with low lectin and then do reintroduce. I totally understand We can do it

1 hour ago, Elizabeth33 said:

I have problems with bananas at time too. They repeat on my. My next round I am going to go even further with restrictions to eventually be Whole 30 AIP with low lectin and then do reintroduce. I totally understand We can do it

I don't know that I can do Whole 30 AIP, I think now I'll do Whole 30 and then a Whole 30esque thing with the other things that I didn't leave out this round. I love my eggs though. 

2 hours ago, Laurie's All In said:

Agree 100% on both counts!!  Why no bananas?

I have MCAS and a known latex allergy. Any fruits that have a similar protein profile to latex need to be avoided. This includes bananas, tropical citrus fruits (pineapple, kiwi, mango, passion fruit, papaya), avocados, strawberries, figs, apples, every type of melon. I also react poorly to tomatoes, carrots, celery, and soy. 

I also have birch-fruit allergy, which means no almonds or hazelnuts, or any stone fruits (apricot, cherry, peach, plum, pear). 

11 hours ago, cinco_mouser said:

I have MCAS and a known latex allergy. Any fruits that have a similar protein profile to latex need to be avoided. This includes bananas, tropical citrus fruits (pineapple, kiwi, mango, passion fruit, papaya), avocados, strawberries, figs, apples, every type of melon. I also react poorly to tomatoes, carrots, celery, and soy. 

I also have birch-fruit allergy, which means no almonds or hazelnuts, or any stone fruits (apricot, cherry, peach, plum, pear). 

Interesting. I hadn't heard of that before. So interesting what everyone has going on that you just never know. This is why no one should ever judge someone else for what they do or don't eat. 

Day 12:

Yesterday, my husband, whom I love, brought home some naan to have with his curry. And the kids all had desserts from the Whole Foods deli. Y'all. Some of those desserts are still in the fridge looking tempting. I am working hard to avoid the fridge today. My husband, wisely, hid the naan. 

All three kids go back to their other parent's houses on Monday, and my person has agreed to keep the kitchen in compliance while they're away, which is a relief. 

Breakfast: Taco mince, leftover cauli-mash, egg + ham frittata, black coffee

Lunch: Taco mince, leftover cauli-mash, sweet potato, iced tea

Dinner: Leftover beef curry and cauli-mash; poached eggs

Reflections: Tonight I am taking my daughter to "Wicked." Our normal pattern for going out is to have dinner at a restaurant, then go to the show, and at intermission buy a cookie. Y'all. That is obviously not going to work for today. So, dinner at home, and I'll still buy my daughter a cookie at intermission. I'll give myself permission for fizzy water if there are any available at the theatre. 

I am so impressed with all of you who have families you need to prepare food for or have things in the fridge for. I live with my brother who doesn't eat like me but he takes care of himself so i don't need to worry about that. In 2013 when I did my 1st one he volunteered to move his cupboard foods into a cabinet we had and has kept it there ever since. The fridge most is my domain because fresh foods take up more space. I am very lucky he is fine with his small space 

Day 15: 

I remained in compliance all weekend. Friday night at "Wicked" I enjoyed fizzy water with lime, in a fancy glass because the bartender was sweet. The show was amazing, and it was 10/10 worth getting out. My daughter loved it. Saturday involved a 6+ mile hike with 3k feet of elevation gain, which was amazing. The rest of the weekend involved a lot of gardening, some school work prep for me. It was busy, and I could use a weekend to recover from my weekend, but here we are. Monday again. 

The weekend was so busy I made no time to go to the grocery store. So the kitchen is close to empty. Fortunately I am zero hungry today. 

This week I work Monday to Wednesday. I also need to fully pack my other house. Thursday, the movers come. Friday, I close the house sale and am finally, FINALLY finished moving to the new house. I started my grad degree capstone course today, and the workload is about three times as much as every other course in my grad degree, so that's the stuff of nightmares. Assuming I do the bare minimum of writing for each assignment it will still be about 200 pages of written content in the next 8 weeks. I'm already tired. 

I am finding routine in the new eating habits. Everyone else goes for a soda, I grab a fizzy water. Everyone else goes for dessert, I go for a walk with Audible playing. I like my coffee black, and drink less of it now than I used to. I don't miss sweets as much as I thought, and that's a relief. I am losing weight, although I can't step on the scale to prove it. I feel amazing, and that's a nice. I miss the foods I miss, but I do NOT miss the way they made me feel. 

Breakfast: egg and ham frittatas; black coffee

Lunch: leftover grilled chicken and salad

Dinner: grilled salmon and grilled veggies (THANK GOD. It is warm and dry this week, so we will eat off of the grill all week!)

19 hours ago, cinco_mouser said:

I am finding routine in the new eating habits. Everyone else goes for a soda, I grab a fizzy water. Everyone else goes for dessert, I go for a walk with Audible playing. I like my coffee black, and drink less of it now than I used to. I don't miss sweets as much as I thought, and that's a relief. I am losing weight, although I can't step on the scale to prove it. I feel amazing, and that's a nice. I miss the foods I miss, but I do NOT miss the way they made me feel. 

I love everything about this! Wahoo!!!!!

I also love Audible. Walking. Driving. Cooking dinner.  

I’m so happy to hear you’ve hit your stride. So have I. At first, I was looking forward to reintroduction and couldn’t decide what I wanted first because I wanted everything. But now I have tiger blood and I don’t want to do anything to sabotage it. I feel great and my reflux/nausea is 100% gone.

Audible is awesome and that’s a great idea for coping with cravings! I may have to do that too.

Day 16: I am 48% complete with this thing, y'all

Last night, my cat, who normally just wants to sleep, decided he wanted in and out. And in and out. And in. And then...out. I am really tired and more than a little grumpy, as the sleep has been lovely thus far. 

Breakfast: scrambled eggs; black coffee

Lunch: Leftover sausage, leftover pancetta, salad

Dinner: grilled fish, grilled squash; fizzy water

Movement: packing at the house, a run on Green Mountain, walking to 12k steps 

Day 17: I needed about 10 more hours of sleep

Yesterday was insanely busy and today is the same. Husband and I made it to the grocery store last night and have delicious plans for dinner. I'm ever so grateful. Tomorrow and Friday, I don't work. It'll be moving, unpacking, school, and then Friday afternoon is my close date. I'm so ready to move forward with this process and be done with the two-house situation. We ran out of sweet potatoes over the weekend, and I have missed them so much. I baked more this morning and look forward to dinner when I get to enjoy one. 

I'm not supposed to eat strawberries, but last night at Whole Foods they were looking so delightful. I ate one last night and y'all. It was the most decadent little strawberry I've ever eaten. I had no adverse reaction to it, which is good. I may have another one after dinner. 

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs; black coffee

Lunch: mostly-lettuce salad, compliant ranch dressing, bacon; un-fizzy water

Dinner: fat sausage on the grill; veggies on the grill; a strawberry

Movement: 12k steps; packing at the house

It'll be so great having your house sold. Only house I've sold was my dad's last year when he went into assisted living. What PITA! I don't look forward to ever having to sell mine. 

Glad you enjoyed your strawberry and it was adverse free!

Thought of you earlier when I was riding on Green Mountain, only saw 1 runner I think so I didn't think I probably saw you. 

Archived