Eggs/Nightshades - help please!

Hi there!

I can happily report that I am on day 22 of my first Whole30 using eggs and fish as my protein source. As a life long athlete and one 'addicted' to exercise, I do have my share of arthritis but am overall strong and pain free...with the exception of my hip - which I learned last November had all sorts of junk going on - bone bruise/cyst, some inflammation and some arthritis all from injuries when I was younger apparently.  I got a cortisone shot and have been okay for many months.  For my reset, I chose not to cut out nightshades or eggs, although a decrease in orthopedic inflammation was a goal of mine, since I considered that the Whole30 regimen itself is anti-inflammatory in nature overall.  

22 days into Whole30 (and some intense workouts at the gym...I'm there 4-5 days per week), my hip pain is back with a vengeance. Ouch!!! I was so surprised given that I feel stronger at the gym and do not have pain anywhere else....I was so disappointed thinking that my hip pain would DECREASE by this time, not exponentially increase to the point that I'm considering getting another medical intervention....help!!

After reading the other Whole30 books, I am now on Food Freedom Forever, getting ready for my reintroduction. I came across the "anti-inflammation" reset on page 44 and now am  worried that I "messed" things up by not cutting out eggs (re: nightshades, I didn't eat much of those items during the 30 days other than some white potatoes in the beginning, and some roasted red peppers on occasion so I"m not entirely convinced they are an issue given the amount of eggs I've eaten by compairson).  I should note I do not usually eat a ton of eggs in life before Whole30, and when I did, I do not recall any issues when I ate them by themselves or in a food product).

QUESTION; Could lots of eggs on this reset, even though I've cut out all the other foods, really be a cause of my intensified pain? I struggle to think that, but after reading the book am reconsidering and wondering where the heck to go next. I am not starting over.... Wondering if anyone has experience with this - i.e. knows alot about egg sensitivity in folks. I'm also thinking out loud here that once I get past the "reintroduction phase" and learn what causes me trouble and not, I can then cut out eggs for several weeks and see how I feel. 

Any thoughts from experienced folks would be much appreciated!  

• Administrators

You could definitely try cutting out eggs and see how you feel. My husband and I used to eat eggs no problem but at one point his psoriasis started to flare up so we cut them out for a good long while. Now he can eat them sporadically. It is possible they are affecting you - the only way to know is to do a personal experiment. ;) 

• Administrators
53 minutes ago, Dre25 said:

interesting. did his psoriasis flare calm down as soon as he stopped eggs?

Sure did! His dad had psoriasis quite badly so we are always on the lookout. The eggs were causing it in his scalp and as soon as we stopped the eggs the patches disappeared. 

That's amazing! I was worried you'd say it took a few month or weeks to work. May I ask one more question? Does that include cutting out eggs in all products too (baked goods, RX bars, etc), or just eating eggs in their isolated form (hardboiled, sauteed, poached, etc)?  

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, Dre25 said:

That's amazing! I was worried you'd say it took a few month or weeks to work. May I ask one more question? Does that include cutting out eggs in all products too (baked goods, RX bars, etc), or just eating eggs in their isolated form (hardboiled, sauteed, poached, etc)?  

It didn't take long. And we only worried about eating actual eggs, not what might've been in something else as a secondary ingredient.

Thank you so much! I'm going to do my last days of whole30 without eggs (which means only fish for breakfast lunch and dinner, god help me.....;p). Wish me luck! Thanks again.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Dre25 said:

Thank you so much! I'm going to do my last days of whole30 without eggs (which means only fish for breakfast lunch and dinner, god help me.....;p). Wish me luck! Thanks again.

Good luck! Worth noting that when we gave up eggs, because I was cooking for both of us I didn't have them either and I went through egg-grief for a while. ;) 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I removed eggs one year ago and noticed a significant difference. My issues were with chronic fatigue/adrenal failure and skin redness. Now the thought of eating eggs makes me sick and if I accidentally do, my gut is definitely upset.

I'm so glad you're reading Food Freedom Forever - this was the catalyst for me! I'd done 4 rounds of Whole30 and seen many other improvements, but not with my fatigue and low and behold, eggs and nightshades were the culprits.

Curious to hear how it turns out for you! We're here to support!

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators
57 minutes ago, barbarabgzz said:

Hi all,

I'm thinking about starting Whole30  but I am nervous because I recently found our I have an intolerance to eggs...I'm worried about breakfast options. Any tips?

Thanks!

Stop thinking in terms of breakfast foods. It's just a meal, you can eat anything at meal 1 that you eat at any other meal. Leftovers are easy. Soup or stew can be nice if it's starting to get chilly in the morning where you are. This past discussion has things people have eaten for breakfast that aren't eggs:  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, SusanH. said:

I'm curious... why are nightshade and eggs grouped as thing?

Both can be inflammatory for some people, so people who don't find relief from a whole30 often turn to removing these items as well, especially if they realize whole30 caused them to eat even more of them than they normally would.

Archived