Best oil for making mayo

Ruthie

Any light will do, IMHO. EVOO is much too strong tasting. I've been playing with the mayo because mine comes out thinner and runnier than I'd like sometimes. I think I've decided that half light olive oil and half coconut oil works best. No olive-y taste, and it thickens a bit in the fridge because of the coconut oil. Don't ever use all coconut oil. I hear it turns solid in the fridge.

Thanks everyone! I made some last night and it was the perfect thickness. Reminds me of the days of buying it in a jar. Except the taste was too strong. Although I must say I was craving deviled eggs and it wasn't as noticeable in yolk mixture. Fixed my craving and I made my first batch of mayo to boot! Now I just need to get a proper work out routine going...

I've heard a lot of good things about avocado and macademia nut. Planning to pick some up to try out tomorrow. I agree you want Light or Extra Light olive oil for mayo.... it really loose the stronger flavor that Extra virgin has.

Oh and coconut oil turns solid at 76 degrees, so, yeah, it would solidify in the fridge, for sure. :)

Archived