30 Day Time Machine

6 hours ago, cinco_mouser said:

My (also 14-year old) daughter was especially whiny the one time we rode Waterton Canyon. It was not ideal. I blame the road: it makes people fussy. 

She picked and she'd whine wherever we went. She doesn't like MTBing because her parents do. What's annoying is she's really good at it when she stops complaining. 

6 hours ago, cinco_mouser said:

If I end this program having lost zero weight, I will be crushed. My Dr's all insist it's imperative I lose weight, while at the same time telling me that with my auto-immune disease the likelihood of ever losing weight without significant intervention is practically nil. And am I a candidate for those interventions? No. I'm hoping that the side effects of this program are enough to keep my in line, but....I doubt it. 

I'm with ya! I haven't been told to lose weight, but I know I need to, stupid BMI. My goal for this week is get my workouts regular again. I slipped for a week or so. They won't be as hard as I'm used to but something is better than nothing. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, ktylerw said:

Hi Lauri!  I also have hashimotos and hypothyroidism.  I gained 25 lbs in 2013 and have never been able to lose them.  Considering Whole30.  Lately, I've been putting on more weight from a thyroid medicine change and am super discouraged.  -- Kaitlyn 

Hi! The weight! So frustrating!! I haven't started down the medication route yet so I'm hopeful that this has some impact. I figure Whole 30 was worth a shot. Jump on it and give it a shot too!

The eat all the things/kill all the things weekend was rough for me too. Yesterday I was so hungry I was thinking that this is not sustainable and I wanted to quit. But then I had some whole 30 Shepard’s pie for a mini meal and felt a lot better. Today I’m much improved. Whew!

Seems like you’re plugging along quite nicely.

11 hours ago, Pandora Black said:

The eat all the things/kill all the things weekend was rough for me too. Yesterday I was so hungry I was thinking that this is not sustainable and I wanted to quit. But then I had some whole 30 Shepard’s pie for a mini meal and felt a lot better. Today I’m much improved. Whew!

Seems like you’re plugging along quite nicely.

So glad you stuck with it and are feeling better!! Great job!!

DAY 6 - 20% of the way there!!

Breakfast: Simply Potatoes Hash browns, 2 eggs, fried up in coconut oil

Lunch: Tokyo Joe's Nikko Salad w/ Iced Tea for Book Club

Dinner: Chicken Avocado Bacon Salad

Snacks:  A few grapes, a few nuts, Turkey slices and Bell Pepper Strips after workout

Exercise: Weight lifting

Sleep: I may have cursed myself. I did not sleep great last night. Up several times starting about 1 and wasn't falling back asleep as easily. 

NSV: - No cravings at all (though I did yell at my husband who was controlling the remote last night and not paying attention to skip the commercials when an ice cream commercial came on), I cleaned the downstairs of my house (energy!), and I went to the gym in the middle of the afternoon (I always say if I don't work out before lunch it's not going to happen).  

Thoughts & Feelings: I came to the realization as I'm starting to meal plan for my second week that I made it far too complicated on myself the first week. I have always eaten the same thing for breakfast for months at a time and don't need variety. Coming into W30 it was 2 soft boiled eggs and a piece of toast for as long as I can remember. I'm pretty much the same with lunch, most recently it'd been Costco Rotisserie chicken on a Caesar Kit Salad also from Costco, if I didn't go out to eat.  So this next week, I'm only planning dinners, which is what I did before. And I have a ton of leftovers from this past week so that can be my lunches. I looked in my recipe binder, where I keep favorites I've made over the years that earned repeat performances and noted a few that I can make work on W30 so I don't need to keep reinventing the wheel. 

My goal all this week is to get back to daily workouts, because that's who I want to be again and to help hopefully lose some weight during this process.     Yesterday -check! 

I think the idea of having a default standard breakfast and lunch is great!  It is relaxing to not have to think about it and makes it easy to plan quantities.

I've been sort of settling into that myself. Before whole30 I almost always had toast with cheese and a piece of fruit for breakfast. I think I'm settling in to a baked sweet potato with eggs as a whole30 breakfast.  I'm working on a default lunch of salad greens with protein and veggies - but that requires having salad greens all the time, which will be easier as my garden grows, but can be hard now. 

Anyone else notice that compliant bacon cooks much quicker?? Almost burned mine in close to half the time my regular stuff would cook in the oven. The fire department may or may not have come when the smoke alarm went off - but I didn't hear it because I was outside.  Cute fireman asked when I told him what happened "But is the Bacon okay?" :lol:

DAY 7 - One week done!

Breakfast: Simply Potatoes Hash browns, 2 eggs, fried up in coconut oil

Lunch: Zoe's Kitchen - Shrimp Kabob, Fried Potato Salad, Roasted Veggies all off their Whole 30 approved menu!

Dinner: Chicken Satay Salad...not very good. 

Snacks:  A few grapes, a few nuts, some leftover Mexican Twice Baked Potato filling after workout. 

Exercise: 70 minute bike ride through the fog.  See NSV

Sleep: STRESS! I knew it was going to be a bad night, so I took an Ativan. I finally feel asleep about 10:30-11 and woke up at 4. Thank you Ativan for filling in the middle gap. See NSV

NSV: - My bike ride was not miserable!  My rides for some time now have just felt like someone turned up the gravity. I'm not sore, I'm not out of breath. They are just HARD. Yesterdays right felt normal. My fitness is in the toilet but it wasn't the slog that it's been.  I can build back up fitness as long as someone keeps the gravity turned down. 

My bike shoes seem to fit better like my feet aren't as swollen, or they are just getting used to them not that I'm getting to ride outside a little more regularly.

My bra felt like it fit. I live in sports bras/workout clothes and with the weight gain my regular bras just haven't felt right and I've been to the point that I refuse to spend any money on bigger clothes. Guess that means at some point I'll just be naked but since I rode outside yesterday early, I took a shower and after the shower I put real clothes on, including a real bra and it didn't just bug all day like it has it has been.  Weight loss? Of course from my boobs first but what they hell, I'll take it. 

I DID NOT DRINK OR STRESS EAT!  Yesterday was a doozie!  Great day until 2 pm when my husband texts me about a school shooting where we have friends whose kids go there, including my friend that I just had a 2 hour lunch with. I got to be the one to tell her when I texted her to keep me updated and she responded with something else entirely so I knew she didn't know, so I called her and broke the news,  but he's okay: I'd forgotten her kid was on a school trip to Yellowstone, thank god!  I also texted our good friends who both kids go there including my daughters BFF.  I go to pick up my own kid, and she hasn't heard so I haven't told her until after I got confirmation that her best friend and brother are okay.  BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!  Next I'm looking at my kids phone, a video she made for a class when a SnapChat comes in from a boy she's been talking to. TLDR: he's asking her to send nude pics, tears and drama ensues. 

Thoughts & Feelings: It's so good not to have crap in the house.  I would have done some serious damage to Ben & Jerry last night.  I'm a bit worried for today, I feel like I'm on a drama hangover right now and that can be worse than the actual drama. I'm making myself accountable here, then I'm going to go get on the bike trainer to keep up my daily workout goal (and cause it's raining outside), then grocery shopping and MAYBE lunch with some girlfriends...they are going somewhere where the only compliant thing I can  probably get is a glass of iced tea. We'll see where my strength reserves are. 

Two near slips:

1) yesterday I go to fill up my iced tea before leaving lunch. I must not have been paying attention and accidentally got the sweet tea. GROSS!!! If I hadn't been in the middle of the restaurant I would have spit it on the floor. I then just threw away my cup. No I'm not starting over. I'm not worried about the added sugar of one sip of something I can't stand anyway. 

2) had to ride the bike trainer today, which I haven't done in at least a couple of weeks. I keep some Honey Stinger gels by my bike and about popped one in my mouth without even thinking! I moved them over next to my husbands bike so he can eat them. I know at some point I'd just have one out of habit!

That is a LOT of drama! I'm glad your daughter and her friends were all OK. I am so tired and angry with all these threats at the schools, and outright violence occurring on campuses. 

Well done of maintaining your compliance despite a highly dramatic day. I hope you're able to sort the SnapChat thing out with your daughter. I don't let mine partake in any form of social media for this very reason. 

3 hours ago, cinco_mouser said:

I don't let mine partake in any form of social media for this very reason. 

I wish, but she was doing it anyway so I figured I'd rather it be in the open where I can see it and be aware in case something like what did happen came up.  I'd take the phone away completely, but she needs her computer for school and I can't imagine her not having a phone in case of a school shooting and I can't get a hold of her. I haven't yet found the right answer and none of this even existed when I was a kid, so I'm totally flying blind. 

DAY 8

Breakfast: Sweet Potato, Chicken Apple Sausage, Apple Has

Lunch: Iced Tea with friends while they had lunch at a Mexican place that I didn't even want to try and figure out. It was less complicated just to have iced tea ... I had my post workout snack before and a more substantial afternoon snack. 

Dinner: Turkey Bacon Apple Wraps with Lemon Herb Mayo.... YUMMY! Family all liked it!

Snacks:  A few grapes, a few nuts, leftover Mexican Twice Baked Potato filling after workout, after "lunch" I had some rotisserie chicken with leftover flavored mayo from the Hawaiian burgers and bell pepper strips. 

Exercise: 60 minute bike ride on my trainer while watching the first half of the movie Book Club. 

Sleep:   One of my typical nights of sleep. Wave of tired hit me about 6 while driving back from dropping the kid off at climbing practice. I made it until bedtime at 9:30. I sleep until 2:30ish and then didn't really get back to sleep until after 4:30 when my husband got up and went downstairs for his workout. I then got up at 6 when he cam back in to shower and get ready.  

NSV: - I got on the trainer - that takes a certain level of dedication I didn't think I would have again this year. 

I did not accidentally mindlessly eat a Honey Stinger Chew.

Lunch - see above.

Thoughts & Feelings: Not sure how I managed lunch. My mind is definitely in this right now. I hope it stays. There's a loooong way to go. OH And after lunch but before my bigger afternoon snack, I went grocery shopping! I did get frustrated being faced with all this food I couldn't eat and I couldn't find a couple of things so I just left. Who wants to make raw cashew milk anyway? I think in that recipe I'll just use coconut milk instead.

I have a team dinner tonight, one the biggest annual women's cycling events and who is organizing (which just means who and where) me! I set it up before I started this. It's out a taphouse with great food! I think I'll have a salad (bring my dressing?) and a plain burger patty. But the event after at the bike shop has lots of vendors and exhibitors and there's a ton of treats and alcohol. We'll see come game time if I think it's worth going or not. 

Eating out is definitely what I am hating the most about this whole challenge right now. The book is all about still be social but and what to bring so you can eat but that's great if it's at someone's home.  We're meeting with our financial adviser, and his wife who's a friend of mine, on Monday night for dinner to discuss what to do about that my husband's company (not his personally) is getting bought out and I need to figure out where we can go. Thankfully they eat super healthy too, but not as restrictive at this. I talked her on the phone a bit yesterday and found out that she just got diagnosed with Hashimoto's too.  But I feel like going out is such a chore now and I can't do it and I'm high maintenance and I'd really just rather not go, but then I'm secluding myself again which is what I was doing when I was feeling depressed all the time, which Whole 30 seemed to help with but now it's restricting me on the other side. I can't win. 

•  

18 hours ago, Laurie's All In said:

I wish, but she was doing it anyway so I figured I'd rather it be in the open where I can see it and be aware in case something like what did happen came up.  I'd take the phone away completely, but she needs her computer for school and I can't imagine her not having a phone in case of a school shooting and I can't get a hold of her. I haven't yet found the right answer and none of this even existed when I was a kid, so I'm totally flying blind. 

My daughter has a phone, but it's restricted (she cannot download apps without permission). She bikes to school, and has for several years, so the phone is an essential function. It's about 4 mile one way to her school via bike. Her laptop access is equally restricted. Possibly it's easier for me to maintain control because there has never been free-access to her technology. I have a deep distrust of other humans. She would be fine; but other people suck. 

I think when it comes to technology there are no right answers, and no easy answers. 

2 hours ago, Laurie's All In said:

Eating out is definitely what I am hating the most about this whole challenge right now. The book is all about still be social but and what to bring so you can eat but that's great if it's at someone's home.  We're meeting with our financial adviser, and his wife who's a friend of mine, on Monday night for dinner to discuss what to do about that my husband's company (not his personally) is getting bought out and I need to figure out where we can go. Thankfully they eat super healthy too, but not as restrictive at this. I talked her on the phone a bit yesterday and found out that she just got diagnosed with Hashimoto's too.  But I feel like going out is such a chore now and I can't do it and I'm high maintenance and I'd really just rather not go, but then I'm secluding myself again which is what I was doing when I was feeling depressed all the time, which Whole 30 seemed to help with but now it's restricting me on the other side. I can't win. 

•  

I'm not even trying to eat out. We have friends over to our house so that I can sponsor dinner which works for my needs, without having to henpeck food arrangements. I don't think I'd survive walking into a restaurant. I have to hold my breath and skitter past the deli section at the grocery store, where they are selling freshly baked pizzas and calzones, and nice fat rotisserie chickens...  

There may be restaurants that advertise being Whole30 compliant, or having Whole30 compliant menu items? 

3 hours ago, Laurie's All In said:

Not sure how I managed lunch. My mind is definitely in this right now. I hope it stays. There's a loooong way to go.

YO nice job with managing lunch, it was a tough situation and it's awesome that you were able to persevere! Even though an iced tea is not a super fun option while friends are having lunch, it is so great you were still able to get out and be social.

I feel you (and @cinco_mouser) on the stress about eating out. I am extremely blessed to live in a place that is absolutely bursting with "healthy" and "alternative diet" options, and it's been hard for even me to find places that have options that are very obviously compliant. I have two salad places, a Chipotle (which has a whole Whole30 bowl, that I have already had once and it was mostly guacamole which is... not quite as fun without at least beans in it), and... that's kind of it, for the places I know I would be "safe" to have options. (But I am trying to take this as an opportunity to save some money, so am trying to console myself re: not being able to go out to eat very often that way... :/ 

You are doing amazing!!! Keep it up!

4 hours ago, cinco_mouser said:

My daughter has a phone, but it's restricted (she cannot download apps without permission). She bikes to school, and has for several years, so the phone is an essential function. It's about 4 mile one way to her school via bike. Her laptop access is equally restricted. Possibly it's easier for me to maintain control because there has never been free-access to her technology. I have a deep distrust of other humans. She would be fine; but other people suck. 

I think when it comes to technology there are no right answers, and no easy answers. 

Mines just smarter than me. She got into this stuff before I was on top of it and stupid iphone restrictions (which I need to research) but once she had it, she can just download it from the cloud again and it doesn't ask for permission.  

4 hours ago, MAYHEM said:

YO nice job with managing lunch, it was a tough situation and it's awesome that you were able to persevere! Even though an iced tea is not a super fun option while friends are having lunch, it is so great you were still able to get out and be social.

I feel you (and @cinco_mouser) on the stress about eating out. I am extremely blessed to live in a place that is absolutely bursting with "healthy" and "alternative diet" options, and it's been hard for even me to find places that have options that are very obviously compliant. I have two salad places, a Chipotle (which has a whole Whole30 bowl, that I have already had once and it was mostly guacamole which is... not quite as fun without at least beans in it), and... that's kind of it, for the places I know I would be "safe" to have options. (But I am trying to take this as an opportunity to save some money, so am trying to console myself re: not being able to go out to eat very often that way... :/ 

You are doing amazing!!! Keep it up!

Chipotle, Tokyo Joes, and Zoe's Kitchen are the only places that I know I'm safe.  And @cinco_mouser I wish I could just not go out, and if it was just a friend or getting together, yea I would totally be having people over but between tonight's event for the team and meeting with our financial advisor (I thought we'd just meet in his office!) I don't really have control. Although I'm about to cancel on going to tonight's thing. I don't think I'm in the right frame of mind. 

A girl on our team just posted on our women's FB page about intuitive eating over fad diets in this article from Outside Magazine which it mentions Whole 30, and her and another girl got on this whole trip about bashing Whole 30.....less than 2 weeks after I posted on their explaining about my diagnosis and why I was doing Whole 30 and asking for their support ....specifically saying I don't expect anyone to do this with me. It's race season, you need your sugar and carbs.  So I'm not in a great place at the moment, as I got sufficiently triggered.  Thankfully I had a lot more response and support to my post than these two women but still. It's a crappy weather day, I'm on Day 8, and I'm annoyed. 

2 hours ago, Laurie's All In said:

It's a crappy weather day, I'm on Day 8, and I'm annoyed. 

I FEEL THIS SO MUCH. I'm sad they weren't able to just be supportive of people handling their circumstances. I'd have politely shared with them that my physicians recommended this process to me. 

DAY 9- 30% done!

Breakfast: Sweet Potato, Chicken Apple Sausage, Apple Hash

Lunch: Chipotle Whole 30 Bowl

Dinner: Hash browns and 2 eggs w/ 1/2 and Avocado

Snacks:  Probably more than few grapes, a few nuts,  some a Go-Go Squeeze and a Tuna pouch after workout, an RX bar because lunch was running late

Exercise: Climbing Gym, boy, has it been a while!

Sleep:   9:30-3, laid around until 5. 

NSV: - The climbing gym for the first time in a long time. Helps that I went in the morning rather than evening when I'm usually too tired. 

It was a pissy, stressful, crappy day and I didn't go nuts. Other than maybe a few too many grapes. 

A ate an RX bar and I was more than a little afraid that I would be drooling from the sweet goodness, and yes it was good but I didn't feel like it was awakening my "sugar dragon"

I had no dinner planned, didn't even try to figure it out until I was already hungry but still was able to come up with a quick easy compliant meal. 

Thoughts & Feelings:  A NSFail today was I bailed on my bike event last night. I was not in the right frame of mind to go out to eat at a tap house that I know to have great food (Colorado Plus for Cinco's sake), and then go to this women's bike event that every year as some A-mazing treats, and alcohol, and more than that it has bike teams and people getting excited about racing and riding and I'm struggling just to get on my bike. 

A friend of mine who's doing this W30 thing with me works at the climbing gym, but she was working from home when I was there so I swung by her house after and we chatted for a long time and it was great. She's cheating (with alcohol like I knew she would - but I don't care) but she was roasting up her sweet potatoes while I was there. Felt really relaxed and laughed and connected....I needed that!

It’s not technically cheating so much as not recommended, but I still smoke cigarettes *hides* It’s a really difficult thing to give up when you have a mental illness. Everyone at my psychiatry clinic smokes. I also use Cannabis to manage chronic pain, and Melissa says not to do that too. Then again she also says not to take NSAIDs if you can help it. I feel like the whole 30 was NOT written with chronic pain patients in mind.

I want some hash browns and I’m out of potatoes!

DAY 10

Breakfast: Sweet Potato, Chicken Apple Sausage, Apple Hash

Lunch: Turkey Bacon Apple Wraps with Lemon Herb Mayo

Dinner: Steak with Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Bacon

Snacks:  Grapes, a few nuts,  an RX bar, bacon, some apple .... too much snacking

Exercise: Weight Lifting at the Gym

Sleep:   My old regular 9:30 to bed, up at 1 immediately tilting at windmills anxiety, about 1:30 I took an Ativan and finally got back to sleep. Woke about 5:30....I was really hoping my sleep issues had be helped but nope!

NSV:  No cravings.  

Thoughts & Feelings:  Yesterday I woke with a rib out of place. I went to the gym remembering as I got there that they have this hydro massagers, and I thought great, I'll try that to see if it can pop my back into place. Nope, it more shifted it and I felt it in my breast bone instead. Chiropractor got him in that morning and was able to talk to him about the Hashimoto's and what he could do for me with regards to that as well, which was good. Got my back put back but it was sore for the rest of the days as the muscles were adjusting. I'll go back and see him again next week. It'd been over a year since I'd seen him before yesterday. 

2 weeks and 4 phone calls to the Integrative Health Clinic that the doctors recommendations are still done but stuck in their system and I still don't have them. Felt like I've lost 2 weeks of doing things that may have been able to help me but can't. Last night while fuming about this I did remember the supervisors name so I'll call Monday and ask to talk to her since nothing else has worked yet. Next I guess I drive over there in sit in their office until I get it. 

Spent yesterday afternoon taking my daughter over to see her BFF (they call each other Partners in Crime), and me to see all of her family - close friends of ours. Their kids attend where the shooting was this week. It was great to put my arms around her, and her parents - her older brother is not really the hugging type, but it felt good to put eyes on him and talk to him.  Definitely a tough time, they were/are closely involved with what went on.  Tonight we're going back over with the rest of our circle of friends, Framily, for a potluck sort of gathering just to be close and connect.  (I'll eat before and am taking a side that I can eat)

Archived