30 Day Time Machine

DAY 11

Breakfast: Hash browns and Eggs

Lunch: Costco Power food salad with rotisserie chicken, avocado and homemade ranch

Dinner: Chicken Salad

Snacks:  Grapes, a few nuts,  an apple 

Exercise: none

Sleep:   To sleep at 10, woke about 3 to go to the bathroom, asleep again until 6:30!!!!!   I was so tired in the afternoon I spent an hour reading and napping. 

NSV:  I stayed strong without much effort at a gathering of friends where there were all manner of foods I couldn't eat. I ate my chicken salad that I brought to share, had a few grapes, drank my water.  I even stayed strong when the desserts came out, caramel brownies with ice cream!  I even stayed strong with Paleo raspberry bars that were technically compliant but I stayed off that slippery slope. 

A great nights sleep!

Brain fog/Confusion seems better. I was trying to learn a new card game, Eucher, last night that everyone else knew and I was super confused but I felt more like the rules than me. 

Thoughts & Feelings:  It is so helpful to be surrounded by healthy people. No one last night batted an eye at my diet, several had done it before, some were still mostly Paleo.  Super thankful for that. 

I have long not been a fan of Mother's Day. My own mom is MIA. I used to send my dad cards for Mother's Day because he always did double duty for me. But this is my first Mother's Day without my Dad. I have yet to ever make it a day about me, and the fact that I'm a mom.  Expecting it to be an emotional day. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DAY 11

Breakfast: Hash browns and 2 eggs

Lunch: Steak Salad w/ Balsamic Dressing

Dinner: Sheet Pan Jambalaya  

Snacks:  Grapes, a few nuts

Exercise: High Ropes Obstacle Course

Sleep:  Went to bed about 9, up at 1 came downstairs for a bit and read, was nodding off so I went bad to bed were I slept fitfully until getting up at 5. 

Bowels: (Sorry, yes I think I need to start tracking this for myself. Just feel free to move along.) Seemed better yesterday, not the constant sort of diarrhea like throughout the day. Waking on Day 12, the BIG diarrhea dump. 

NSV:  No cravings.  

Survived a High Ropes Obstacle Course - that was EXHAUSTING and I didn't get all anxious before going that I wasn't going to have enough energy to do it. 

Thoughts & Feelings:  At out for lunch for the first time that I kinda had to wing it (I did look at the menu online before going) but I was able to remove the offending items and I think I was compliant. The steak was Ah-MAZE-ing....so I wouldn't swear that it was compliant but dang it was good. 

Really appreciated my Mother's Day gift of the ropes course. It was fun in the beginning but got a bit stressful and scary as I got tired. But it distracted me from the reasons I usually don't enjoy the day. Then my daughter was full on teenager in the afternoon and put a heavy damper on dinner and the evening. Oh well, can't win them all. But man parenting sucks. 

I've decided that I really like this online journal and think it might be something worth continuing after Whole 30. I enjoy the few minutes each morning to review the day before get things out. 

DAY 12 - 25% done!

Breakfast: Sweet Potato, Chicken Apple Sausage, Apple - it was the end of what I'd made so I threw an egg on there too. 

Lunch: Steak Salad w/ no dressing....the restaurant I was out was great. I assumed I could have the vinaigrette but the chef actually came out and told me all their dressing had soy. Tried to offer pesto, knew that was out because of dairy so I took no dressing and it was still really good.

Dinner: Greek Salad  

Snacks:  Go-Go Squeeze pre-workout, a few grapes. 

Exercise: 30 minute walk with daughter and dog. Hour bike ride with a good friend.

Sleep:  Went to bed about 9, up at 1. Laid there awake for quite a while. Eyes closed. Mind wasn't really in overtime. Eventually started to doze off and on again. Up at 5:30

Bowels: After yesterday mornings colon clearing dump. I didn't go again all day. This morning it's back to little loose stuff.  

NSV:  No cravings.  

Ate a salad with no dressing and it was good. 

Didn't quit and talked myself back into the program.

No Brain Fog.

Handling stress better. 

Thoughts & Feelings:  I received a really frustrating report from my, who I thought was awesome, integrative health doctor who said there was no evidence in eliminating foods would help but if I wanted to whatever.  haven't really noticed changes other than no cravings [went back and added in no brain fog and handling stress better as I came to this realization that I'm not in tears about all this...though I thought about it], I really hope I'm losing weight but I other than my bras fitting better I still haven't really felt like I am. Also that I was 'under the impression that I have Hashimoto's' when her looking at my medical records says I don't (WHAT THE HELL DO I DO WITH THAT?!?!) but they treat the symptoms and then went on to only address the insomnia with all the same crap that I've been trying for years without success. And didn't address any of my other symptoms.  I'm so frustrated!!! I made another appointment to see her on Wednesday to hash this out. And I'm trying to get into another Endocrinologist to get a THIRD opinion to break the tie since this doctor contradicted everything the first one said: "You have Hashimoto's go gluten, dairy, and soy free and come back and see me in a year". Just got a $200 bill for that first useless visit. 

My workouts are still frustrating. I'm still posting all my slowest times ever on Strava segments. 

4 hours ago, Laurie's All In said:

Thoughts & Feelings:  I received a really frustrating report from my, who I thought was awesome, integrative health doctor who said there was no evidence in eliminating foods would help but if I wanted to whatever.  haven't really noticed changes other than no cravings [went back and added in no brain fog and handling stress better as I came to this realization that I'm not in tears about all this...though I thought about it], I really hope I'm losing weight but I other than my bras fitting better I still haven't really felt like I am. Also that I was 'under the impression that I have Hashimoto's' when her looking at my medical records says I don't (WHAT THE HELL DO I DO WITH THAT?!?!) but they treat the symptoms and then went on to only address the insomnia with all the same crap that I've been trying for years without success. And didn't address any of my other symptoms.  I'm so frustrated!!! I made another appointment to see her on Wednesday to hash this out. And I'm trying to get into another Endocrinologist to get a THIRD opinion to break the tie since this doctor contradicted everything the first one said: "You have Hashimoto's go gluten, dairy, and soy free and come back and see me in a year". Just got a $200 bill for that first useless visit. 

I empathize deeply with your frustration about Dr's and their, often complete, disregard for your health and well-being. I have to fight aggressively to have Dr's hear me and address my issues. 

DAY 14

Breakfast: Chicken Salad leftovers - I was out of sweet potato hash and hashbrowns

Lunch: Leftover Sheet pan Jambalaya 

Dinner: Burger patty with avocado, lettuce tomato and onion ....after dinner was a fail, my butternut squash had gone bad and it was really bitter, so we ran out for dinner.  Also had a few Boulder Potato Chips (compliant ingredients but I know that chips aren't allowed. I've never been much of a chip person so I wasn't worried this would send me in spiral. And they were gross so I didn't even eat but 5 or 6)

Snacks:  Go-Go Squeeze, RX Bar, Almonds all post workout...felt really light-headed

Some nuts, veggies with dump ranch, a couple of pieces of leftover bacon.

Exercise: Upper Body weights for 20 minutes then Yoga for the first time in months, intention was to go finish up weights afterward but I was wiped out and didn't feel great. 

Sleep:  Terrible.  Up at 12:30, thinking of packing, read for a just a few minutes before I was nodding off again. Back up about 2:30 thinking of doctor stuff, then packing. Never really got back to sleep again. But did my lay there and feel like my mind and body were disjointed thing, body totally relaxed and dead to the world. Brain, totally functioning. 

Bowels: One loose bits in the morning nothing for the rest of the day. Google says I need more fiber.  This morning bigger mushy but according to Google it was normal. Just not my normal. 

NSV:  Went to Yoga....It was really hard being out of it for so long but I really enjoyed the stress release. 

Quick rally to go out to eat once dinner was ruined and still stayed compliant. 

Thoughts & Feelings:  So tired all day. So much for Tiger Blood Day. 

Heard from original endocrinologist that told me I had Hashimoto's and to do this elimination diet thing and was told "we do not treat Hashimotos disease unless thyroid labs are abnormal. Yours remained normal on your recent check. ....I do not see an endocrine cause of your current symptoms and recommend that you follow up with your PCP or non western medicine provider to discuss alternative approaches to Hashimotos disease."   But my non-western medicine provider doesn't think I have it and there's no point to me doing this diet. So WTF am I supposed to do? I feel like I'm going crazy. I had an answer finally that fit my symptoms: Hashimoto's but no solution. I go to the Integrative Health doctor for the solution and she says my answer is wrong. In the meantime I still have this symptoms plus some that were feeling better: inability to handle stress, depression are rearing their heads again. And I still have no energy and my workouts suck. And I struggle to reach out to my support group about this because I'm afraid they're all gonna think I'm nuts too. 

DAY 15 - Half way home

Breakfast: Hashbrowns and 2 eggs in coconut oil

Lunch: 1:30....leftover turkey tomato sauce w/green olives

Dinner: Cheeseburger Skillet

Snacks:  Justin's Almond Butter pre-workout.... post workout: 4 almonds (yuck) a bit later meat stick. I just don't want solid food after a hard workout. I miss my protein shakes. 

Before lunch time appointment other meat stick to hold me over util lunch. Nuts in the afternoon. 

Exercise: 25 minute walk with daughter and dog before school. I was struggling to keep up and drenched in sweat afterward. 

80 minute MTB ride up Rooney Valley trail...multiple stops until I got to the new stuff, loved the new stuff, struggled a bit with the finish but despite going over my set turn-around time I did it. Came back down same trail. Definitely not how I would normally bomb down a hill but I can see me doing so one of these days. 

Sleep: Slept soundly until about 2 then it was drifting in and out for the rest of the morning finally getting up at 5.  Noticed lately a weird thing: my hands falling asleep while I'm sleeping. Keep trying different positions. 

Bowels: After breakfast and walk - total liquid diarrhea. Nothing rest of day.  Morning: loose bits 

NSV:  Decided to reach out to my friends about my frustrations and got a ton of support back. I cried which is something I've been trying not to do so much, but it was good crying. 

Was pissed at my health issues and said F it, and went and rode a trail that I know I don't really have the fitness for. I almost cried a couple of times how hard it was how many stops I had to make. Then I got to the new stuff and it leveled out some and I kinda enjoyed it. I hit my turn around time but I could see the top and I went for it.  I made it back down and to my appointment on time....glad I did it.  Noticing that it's almost 2 and I'm not desperately trying to figure out how to take a nap, like I would most days. 

Thoughts & Feelings:  Met with Integrative Health doctor again today. Hashed out things out. She and the Endo just don't agree on the definition of Hashimoto's but came to understand that everyone was in agreement that I have the antibodies but my thyroid is functioning in normal range. So moving on to symptoms. I'm frustrated because her recommendations are all mostly things I'm already doing. But there's a couple of new options that I'm gonna try before going back and saying she needs to step it up.  So scheduled appointment to meet with Eastern Medicine person and 1:1 Therapeutic Yoga. Will give these a try and see. Continuing with Whole 30 and then she recommends an anti-inflammatory Mediterranean diet ... which can't be that different than Whole 30 which is all about being anti inflammatory. Also a few vitamin/supplement recommendations to try.  I'm going in on this and going to hope something works but I'm not going to wait months for something to happen before going back and saying "what else you got?"

Order some blue screen glasses to use in the evenings to see if that helps with my sleep. 

I’m so jealous of your workouts! I’m working on just getting out of bed, literally. My back pain is so severe I’m really limited (I have a wheelchair it’s that bad). And I’m always, always exhausted. I was actually tested for Hashimotos but I was negative (I was recently diagnosed with PCOS). I also just got a cpap so I’m hoping that will improve my energy as I have very severe sleep apnea.

Archived