May Whole30 Goals

emilyelowe

1. Better Energy

• What This Looks Like: getting through the day without dragging, desire and energy to play with my son (not just counting down until the next nap), waking up alert (but able to rest if it's not time to get up!), enough energy to exercise.

2. Better Mood

• What This Looks Like: more patience with baby and dog, less volatile moods, more joy playing with baby, more interest in intimacy. 

3. Eliminate Cravings!

• What This Looks Like: no distracting cravings after lunch at work - just say no to sweets/treats in the afternoon, saying No to things that aren't interesting at family dinner, setting a good example for my son as he starts to eat with the family. 

4. Fewer Aches and Pains, especially in neck and back

5. Improved allergies - daily medicine not required

6. Improved dandruff - no flakes!

7. Fewer headaches - few and far between!

8. Greater variety in cooking - to expose Noah!

9. Better fitting clothes - no distractions, more confidence!

10. Improved reproductive health - normal function.

11. ABILITY TO MAINTAIN - complete a by-the-book reintroduction and document specific long-term food choices and goals. 

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to start Reintroduction a few days early in order to get everything in before our trip to Texas. I really want to start off 30 in my Food Freedom! :) Here is my assessment of where I am. 

On 5/2/2019 at 1:19 PM, emilyelowe said:

1. Better Energy

• What This Looks Like: getting through the day without dragging, desire and energy to play with my son (not just counting down until the next nap), waking up alert (but able to rest if it's not time to get up!), enough energy to exercise.
    • We definitely saw an improvement here. I am not sleeping as well as I would like EVERY night but am sleeping OK and feeling more energy during the day. I still often feel tired during breastfeeding, particularly in the afternoon, but I think that is normal. I think I am enjoying Noah more but I also think I just don't always know how to play and maybe that is just me. Haven't started exercising yet but it is on the list for June!

2. Better Mood

• What This Looks Like: more patience with baby and dog, less volatile moods, more joy playing with baby, more interest in intimacy. 
    • Definitely have seen this improve just in the last 2 days (days 27 and 28) and woke up in a great mood on Day 29. I also noticed recently that I have responded more calmly/better when things went wrong. 

3. Eliminate Cravings!

• What This Looks Like: no distracting cravings after lunch at work - just say no to sweets/treats in the afternoon, saying No to things that aren't interesting at family dinner, setting a good example for my son as he starts to eat with the family. 
    • I am doing better at family dinner (though sometimes lying is involved, which I don't love) but I am definitely still having cravings. :( I don't think I did a very good job managing my sugar dragon during this Whole30 so I think this is on me. I am already struggling to say no at work just because it is a reintroduction day. Woof. 

4. Fewer Aches and Pains, especially in neck and back

• Still present but I scheduled a massage. What is with my feet?

5. Improved allergies - daily medicine not required

• Have been taking Loratadine but think I have also seen an improvement here in just the last couple days - less need for Flonase. 

6. Improved dandruff - no flakes!

• Improved! I noticed this when I washed my hair on Day 27. 

7. Fewer headaches - few and far between!

• Have not had headaches the last two days! Do think I am getting one now - gluten day and make have exposed myself to dairy. Doh.

8. Greater variety in cooking - to expose Noah!

• I really tried to plan for veggies I wouldn't normally default to this week! We have so many veggies in the fridge!

9. Better fitting clothes - no distractions, more confidence!

• I think this is true. I am still not happy with how I look but I am comfortable in what I own.
  • Carol said I was looking skinny.
  • I lost two pounds (111 > 109), 1 inch in waist (32 > 31), and 2 percent body fat (32 > 30). I think. 

10. Improved reproductive health - normal function.

• Last night was a good sign, at least. 

11. ABILITY TO MAINTAIN - complete a by-the-book reintroduction and document specific long-term food choices and goals. 

• Already failing! Had a cupcake on gluten day so it probably had dairy in it. SO DUMB. WORK IS THE WORST.
  • I am feeling really motivated, though, to go into my 30s with Food Freedom, Fitness, and Family at the top of my priority list so hopefully I will recover!
  • I have already discussed doing a W7 or W14 when we get back from Texas to make sure I don't waste this whole month of work!

Reintroduction Day 1: Gluten

- Half piece of toast with breakfast. Jam Amanda bought me was really good. Rest of Breakfast: 2 turkey sausage patties, sweet potatoes, asparagus. 

- I can't believe Jacob ate all the sunflower butter! Argh!

- Had a cupcake Holleh offered me, not sure if it had dairy in it, so that was dumb. The first bite was delicious. The second and third were not so I threw it out. 

Lunch: slow cooker beef, carrots, avocado (no gluten)

Snack: half almond butter and jelly sandwich, 2 bites pastry

Slight headache on the way home from work and definitely don’t feel as good as I did this morning. Not sure if it is just the day dragging on or the gluten. 

Dinner Plan is noodles, chicken, veggies, with ghee. 

Lunch: slow cooker beef, carrots, avocado (no gluten)

Snack: half almond butter and jelly sandwich, 2 bites pastry

Slight headache on the way home from work and definitely don’t feel as good as I did this morning. Not sure if it is just the day dragging on or the gluten. 

Dinner Plan is noodles, chicken, veggies, with ghee. < this was delicious but definitely felt like it could become food with no brakes. 

9 o’clock pumping after taking vitamins with OJ and felt kind of sick so had half a banana. Hope it wasn’t the tiny bit of bad beef I I had. 

Reintroduction Day 2: Whole30

7:45 am update: 

Fell asleep easy, slept well until about 3:45. Still pretty tired this morning but that is the theme this week so not food related. 

Woke up pretty hungry, which has also been consistent. 

Pump output on way to work was terrible so I kind of panicked but it got better once I was at work so hopefully we just weren’t connected right. Seems to be OK. 

Positive bathroom experience. 

Reintroduction Day 2: Whole30

2:11 p.m. update:

Breakfast was sweet potatoes, turkey sausage, and asparagus

Snack around 11 a.m. was blueberries, strawberries, coconut butter

Lunch around Noon was shredded beef, carrots, and marinated onions

Was still super hungry after snack and lunch - I essentially haven't had any fat, which is probably why, but we didn't have any avocados - so was definitely craving and cranky and hungry. Asked CVM for snacks hoping for almond butter cups - luckily she didn't have them and ended up offering me carrots. Phew. Ate a couple carrot sticks, two pieces of turkey, and half a banana. Feeling a bit better now but maybe crampy and a bit of a headache. 

Was craving big time when I heard people talking about Conversation and Cookies, even went looking for them in the break room after giving myself permission to have a GF one and luckily they were nowhere to be found. Dodged. A. Bullet. 

Also passed on the breakroom bagels. Whoo. 

3:15 update:

Ate some Swedish Fish but crushed and threw away a mini Reese cup, so that is a partial win. Definitely having cramping now. Not sure if it is gluten from yesterday or the candy. And, if candy, is it the corn syrup or the general sugar? Is corn syrup just a sweetener or should it be considered corn? I hope not corn. I am definitely emotionally eating today. Argh. 

8 pm update:

Decided to go to Nocterra for dinner thinking I could get a salad at the food truck and then the food truck had a more limited menu. Argh. Got Pho and didn’t eat very much of the rice noodles but had that and gluten so now I feel like a total failure. My head hurts, I am cranky and defeated. I came home and ate some of the hash (sweet potato, sausage, spinach) Mom made because I don’t feel like I ate enough but it feels like it’s too late to recover  

I also think I might be getting a blocked duct so I am just generally feeling like I am not having a good night. 

I need to eat more fat tomorrow and STICK TO THE WHOLE30 DUH. :angry:

Reintroduction Day 3: Whole30

Rough night with Noah. 

Breakfast: sweet potato hash and 3 eggs. 

Lunch: shredded beef, carrots, onions. Still no ready avocados. 

Snack while grocery shopping: LaraBar. Probably not a good choice. 

Bought some trail mix for our trip and had two bites. It’s delicious but now my teeth and my head hurt. Added sugar? Only non compliant thing is sugar and potentially peanut oil. 

I definitely haven’t had enough water today. Probably only 16 oz. and it’s 5 o’clock. 

Planning burger and baked fries and grilled veggies for dinner so hopefully the white potatoes don’t mess me up tomorrow. I finally have some ready avocados so I am excited!

Mood has generally been much better today.

Reintroduction Day 4: Dairy 

Birthday Party Day 

Slept well and woke up at 7 am - no alarm, no baby - despite late night last night. Not sure if this is good or bad. 

Breakfast: sweet potato hash, 3 eggs, avocado. No dairy. 

Lunch: taco salad, added a little cheese. It was good but the salad would have been good either way. Felt fine after.

Little while later... 

Skillet cookie (dairy and gluten). Wasn’t worth it but Jacob made it special and was excited and then disappointed about how it turned out so I felt like I should eat it. I’m OK with this decision. I ate a pretty small piece at first but then had more later while Lexi was here. This was probably a less good decision. Chocolate chip cookies are my weakness and I should probably only have a few in the house at a time. I don’t know how to know when I’ve “satisfied the experience.” 

Felt a little emotional/sad after folks left and not sure if this is real or food related. Took a nap with Noah (didn’t feel tired but I just wanted to :) ) and woke up with a headache (6 pm). Made a point to drink water today, though still only like two or three glasses probably, but I bet this is the dairy since that has been the case in the past. 

I honestly don’t want dairy with dinner so will probably leave it at that. 

Reintroduction Day 5: Whole30

Slept OK. Storms. Woke up with slight headache and not terribly hungry. Sign if dysregulation? Also kind of felt hungover, which reminded me that has happened with previous gluten/dairy combos. Was tossing and turning and then had to get up at 7 because Noah was up. 

Breakfast: sweet potatoes, 3 eggs, avocado, strawberries, raspberries, coconut butter. 

Slightly negative bathroom experience. 

Tried a new place for lunch trying to be healthy and paleo - total dud. Ended up getting a ham and cheese scone from Northstar so we’re back to gluten + dairy. It was delicious and wonderful and worth the eating experience (I even sat down to really take it in) but possibly not the mental impact. I think especially during reintroduction I have this mindset that if I can only have it today - I must have all of it! I hope Food Freedom doesn’t look like that. 

Terrible dining out experience for dinner also but I at least stated compliant. Eating out just isn’t going to be as easy or cheap as it used to be and I think I might have to get used to it. Everything I ate today would have been better and faster at home. I think I’m just going to stick with W30 for the next three days before the trip and maybe reintroduce GF grains and legumes after a short reset when we get back. I really want to start the trip off on the right foot and the next few days should be more predictable. 

Reintroduction, Day 6: Rice

breakfast: sweet potatoes, eggs, avocado, berries, coconut butter 

lunch: chipotle salad with white rice. Felt really full. 

Dinner: at home taco salad. Had some trail mix also, probably feeding the sugar dragon. 

Headache. Slept well. 

Reintroduction Day 7: Whole30 

Pre Breakfast Snack: half LARABAR

Breakfast: sausage, sweet potatoes, berries, coconut butter 

Snack: half EPIC bar

Lunch: romaine, beef, avocado, dressing

Feeling very bloated and gassy. Also craving. 

I did not set myself up for success on this trip and am really feeling like a failure. 

Archived