Homemade Mayo

Help please! I have tried making homemade mayo twice.  It is not turning out.  It will not thicken.  Someone told me it takes overnight to thicken.  It has been in fridge all day and it's still as runny as in the beginning.  How long do you blend it? What am I doing wrong?

If you've got access to an immersion blender, this recipe is easy to follow --
https://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2015/04/failproof-diy-homemade-mayo-in-2-minutes/

I skip the whey, of course, and typically add a dash (or few) of garlic powder and mustard powder.

I'm afraid I wouldn't know what to tell you for mayo made with a traditional blender, though, as I've never tried it that way. Good luck!

• Moderators

It can be kind of tricky sometimes. On the plus side, if it's just runny but tastes okay, you can still use it -- add herbs and turn it into ranch dressing. Or drizzle it over vegetables as a sauce.

This thread has some tips if you want to try to fix this batch:  

This is how I usually make mine, and it almost always works, so if you have access to an immersion blender, try this:  https://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/. I don't bring my egg to room temperature, I don't drizzle oil slowly, I put all the ingredients in a jar, then blend. But, you don't have to have an immersion blender, you can find instructions using anything from a Vitamix to a wire whisk if you Google it, so look for instructions/tips using whatever you're trying to use.

Ok so it did thicken overnight. I should have been a little more patient! lol. Although somehow I missed the part about using light olive oil and I used evoo.  Tastes terrible.  lol.  I am hoping I can add my homemade ranch seasoning mix to it and at least turn it into a dip so it's not wasted.

Thanks everyone!

Archived