Sleep Issues

I’m on Day 6 and have been sleeping REALLY poorly the last few days (which wasn’t a problem for me previously). I was expecting to get up to pee a time or two (this isn’t my first W30) but my sleep has been very light and I’m having trouble falling back to sleep after waking. I just toss and turn. This is super unusual for me, I am a great sleeper and it has never happened on a W30 before. Is this typical? Have others had this experience? How long did it/does it usually last? 

I also have two HUGE pimples on my FACE, which is also super unusual. I have no idea what could be causing either of these things! 

Suggestions, insights, and general encouragement appreciated. :) 

The acne I've got no insight on... sorry!

For the sleep issue, though, I do have a thought.
I slept great for the first couple of days, probably because I was half-comatose from giving up added sugars and empty carbs! I started having trouble getting to sleep at night, though, and experimentation taught me that I was going too low-carb with my dinners. I know now that I have to make sure I have at least a fist-sized (maybe more like 1.5 since my hands are small) amount of starchy veg with my dinner, or I'll have trouble getting to sleep and won't feel rested when I wake up regardless of how long I make myself lay in bed. It may be something different for you, of course, but it's worth looking at your meals and seeing if shifting things around a little helps out :) 

• Administrators
15 hours ago, emilyelowe said:

I’m on Day 6 and have been sleeping REALLY poorly the last few days (which wasn’t a problem for me previously). I was expecting to get up to pee a time or two (this isn’t my first W30) but my sleep has been very light and I’m having trouble falling back to sleep after waking. I just toss and turn. This is super unusual for me, I am a great sleeper and it has never happened on a W30 before. Is this typical? Have others had this experience? How long did it/does it usually last? 

I also have two HUGE pimples on my FACE, which is also super unusual. I have no idea what could be causing either of these things! 

Suggestions, insights, and general encouragement appreciated. :) 

hey @emilyelowe - nice to see you back here! Sleep disruptions are pretty common. Depending on how long ago your first Whole30 was, time has passed, our hormones change up as we age and whatever rebalancing you're going through could be affecting your sleep this time. I had sleep disruption in my first and third Whole30. The first one lasted 14 days and the third one lasted just a few.

Oh so this is normal? I’ve been having some sleep disruptions, I was up all night long on day 2. But I’m bipolar and for me that happens sometimes. I didn’t think it was related but maybe it was.

Anyway, here are some basic tips I leaned in the hospital for sleep, in general.

*Limit caffeine! Especially after like 12 p.m. It takes about 8 hours to clear caffeine from your system.

*Try not to use your computer or watch t.v. late at night. The light keeps your brain active. They say (and I ignore this) to just read a regular paper book before you sleep.

*Valarian root is a natural sleep aid. It tastes and smells kinda awful, but it works like a charm. I really like it in the Nighty Night tea by Traditional Medicinals.

Archived