What about - Ka’Chava Meal Replacement Shake?

grantb

A friend suggested this to me (whom is NOT on Whole30) but I wasn't seeing a reason it wouldn't be compliant. I understand we prefer to eat meals, where possible. I came across it on amazon but don't want to be lead down the wrong path by someone whos just trying to be helpful on my health journey :) What do you guys think?

If this isn't complaint - do you know of any meal replacement shakes that are similar but OK to have?

Ka’Chava Meal Replacement Shake - A Blend of Organic Superfoods and Plant-Based Protein - The Ultimate All-In-One Whole Body Meal. (Chocolate) 960g Bag = 15 meals (64g serving size) 

by Ka'Chava

Ingredients

Plant-Based Protein Blend - 29.25 g - Yellow Pea Protein | Organic Whole Grain Brown Rice Protein | Organic Sacha Inchi Seed | Organic Amaranth Seed | Organic Quinoa Seed Omega EFA / Fiber Blend - 11.12 g - Pure Whole Grain Oat | Organic Acacia Gum | Chia Seed | Flax Seed Antioxidant / Super-Fruit Blend - 7.1 g - Organic Coconut Flower Nectar | Acai Berry | Organic Maqui Berry | Camu-Camu Berry | Organic Strawberry | Organic Tart Cherry | Organic Blackberry | Organic Blueberry | Organic Raspberry Adaptogen Herb Blend - 1020 mg - Organic Maca Root | Organic Shiitake Mushroom Mycelia | Organic Maitake Mushroom Mycelia | Organic Reishi Mushroom Mycelia | Organic Cordyceps Mushroom Mycelia | Organic Ginger Root Supergreens / Vegetable Blend - 500 mg - Chlorella | Organic Beet | Organic Carrot | Organic Spinach | Organic Broccoli | Organic Tomato | Organic Kale | Organic Cabbage | Organic Parsley Leaf | Organic Brussel Sprouts | Organic Green Pepper |Organic Cucumber | Organic Celery | Organic Garlic | Organic Green Onion | Organic Cauliflower | Organic Asparagus Probiotic / Prebiotic Blend - 50mg - Inulin | Lactobacillus Rhamnosus | Lactobacillus Acidophilus Digestive / Enzyme Blend - 50mg - Amylase | Protease | Cellulase | Lactase | Lipase Other Ingredients - Coconut Milk, Natural Cacao Flavors, Soluble Vegetable Fiber, Guar Gum, Xanthun Gum, Lo Han Fruit, Stevia

• Moderators

The stevia, the quinoa, pea protein, rice protein would all be out, and those are just what leapt out at me on a quick glance, I may have missed other stuff.

I doubt you're going to find a meal replacement shake that is compliant. Most have sweeteners of some sort, many have some kind of plant-based proteins which are typically from legumes, and many have dairy. 

If you absolutely must have a shake, I'd honestly suggest that you make your own smoothie and add a protein powder that's compliant (like this one https://www.amazon.com/PALEOPRO-Protein-Powder-Paleo-Plain/dp/B00GSXO5KY?th=1 ; make sure you aren't looking at the flavored ones, though, because those apparently have stevia extract to sweeten them!). That way, you know what's in your shake will work during your Whole30.

• Administrators
55 minutes ago, Jihanna said:

If you absolutely must have a shake, I'd honestly suggest that you make your own smoothie and add a protein powder that's compliant (like this one https://www.amazon.com/PALEOPRO-Protein-Powder-Paleo-Plain/dp/B00GSXO5KY?th=1 ; make sure you aren't looking at the flavored ones, though, because those apparently have stevia extract to sweeten them!). That way, you know what's in your shake will work during your Whole30.

Even the "naked" one that you linked has stevia in it. 

I double-checked, and according to the questions and answers, the image is old (though even the image showed a * next to stevia, and * was for flavored versions only)... they now don't use stevia at all, but instead use monk fruit as the sweetener (not sure if that's only in flavored versions, but still).

I'm sorry, I normally wouldn't push on this, especially when shakes in and of themselves aren't actually recommended... but I hate feeling stupid, so I've looked at the actual website for the powder that I linked earlier, and the monk fruit extract is only in the flavored versions. That means there's nothing except the beef protein, egg protein, and sunflower lecithin in the "naked" version that I linked.

It is good to be reminded that monk fruit extract isn't compliant, though, because I had forgotten that bit :) 
I'll be quiet now.

On 5/7/2019 at 10:16 PM, grantb said:

A friend suggested this to me (whom is NOT on Whole30) but I wasn't seeing a reason it wouldn't be compliant. I understand we prefer to eat meals, where possible. I came across it on amazon but don't want to be lead down the wrong path by someone whos just trying to be helpful on my health journey :) What do you guys think?

If this isn't complaint - do you know of any meal replacement shakes that are similar but OK to have?

Ka’Chava Meal Replacement Shake - A Blend of Organic Superfoods and Plant-Based Protein - The Ultimate All-In-One Whole Body Meal. (Chocolate) 960g Bag = 15 meals (64g serving size) 

by Ka'Chava

Ingredients

Plant-Based Protein Blend - 29.25 g - Yellow Pea Protein | Organic Whole Grain Brown Rice Protein | Organic Sacha Inchi Seed | Organic Amaranth Seed | Organic Quinoa Seed Omega EFA / Fiber Blend - 11.12 g - Pure Whole Grain Oat | Organic Acacia Gum | Chia Seed | Flax Seed Antioxidant / Super-Fruit Blend - 7.1 g - Organic Coconut Flower Nectar | Acai Berry | Organic Maqui Berry | Camu-Camu Berry | Organic Strawberry | Organic Tart Cherry | Organic Blackberry | Organic Blueberry | Organic Raspberry Adaptogen Herb Blend - 1020 mg - Organic Maca Root | Organic Shiitake Mushroom Mycelia | Organic Maitake Mushroom Mycelia | Organic Reishi Mushroom Mycelia | Organic Cordyceps Mushroom Mycelia | Organic Ginger Root Supergreens / Vegetable Blend - 500 mg - Chlorella | Organic Beet | Organic Carrot | Organic Spinach | Organic Broccoli | Organic Tomato | Organic Kale | Organic Cabbage | Organic Parsley Leaf | Organic Brussel Sprouts | Organic Green Pepper |Organic Cucumber | Organic Celery | Organic Garlic | Organic Green Onion | Organic Cauliflower | Organic Asparagus Probiotic / Prebiotic Blend - 50mg - Inulin | Lactobacillus Rhamnosus | Lactobacillus Acidophilus Digestive / Enzyme Blend - 50mg - Amylase | Protease | Cellulase | Lactase | Lipase Other Ingredients - Coconut Milk, Natural Cacao Flavors, Soluble Vegetable Fiber, Guar Gum, Xanthun Gum, Lo Han Fruit, Stevia

Peas, oats, rice, coconut nectar, Stevia... I struggle to see where you could think this would be compliant! The whole issue of drinking your meals aside, this is packed with non compliant ingredients.

Agreed. I think 2 of the hardest things to wrap my brain around when I started W30 were: "(supposedly) healthy isn't always compliant", and "the actual ingredients are more important than the nutritional info". Those are hard concepts, and it's so much easier to find good success with W30 if we're familiar with the rules and able to recognize those giant red flags that should wave at us when we review any ingredients list and see words like "pea", "rice", or anything else that we can point to on the list of non-compliant items.

I do understand why some people might use meal shakes during W30, though... like getting extra macros or calories to help gain weight or prevent losing it. I can't see myself ever in that boat with them, but I do understand that such a boat exists! :D

Archived