Hello,

It's my first time. And today's my Day 14. I do crossfit twice a week and I struggle with it...

On day 8, for the first time ever, I felt like I was about to faint (never fainted, so I don't know). But I saw the stars and got really dizzy towards the end of my workout.

I talked to my trainer, and she was telling me that it's a sign that my body needs more food.  I had 2 hard-boiled eggs and a banana with 10ish almonds as a pre-workout meal that day. She told me that I need to find a decent source of carbs. 

*Before the Whole30, I used to eat only dinner (unhealthy one) most days, so I was used to working out with an empty stomach, so I was confused. but I guess this is the change the book was talking about.

So, now I'm taking pre/post-workout meals more seriously.  And here comes my question.

1. Has anyone experienced something similar?. I am used to feeling like my lung/legs are about to explode, but never felt dizzy, so I'm concerned.

2. On this Whole30 Meal Template, it says, "Include a small amount of protein (1/2 a meal size or smaller), and (optionally) a small amount of fat (1/2 a meal size or smaller). Do not add fuirt or carb-dense vegetables to your pre-workout snacks," and this article says, "your pre-workout meal should focus on protein and high-fiber carbohydrates – think chicken or turkey breast, lean beef, fish and seafood, as well as sweet and white potatoes, squashes, berries, melons, bananas, and beets."

Protein, I get. What Am I supposed to do about Carbs?....My trainer says I should eat more carbs, but I just want to make sure I'm following Whole 30. When I google things,other posts seems to focus on protein and fat sources without carbs, so help me please.

Hi @Alliswell - sorry for the info conflict! Being uncomfortable or "out of gas" is common in the first 2 weeks-ish of Whole30 while your body adapts to processing fat as fuel. Being dizzy is usually a sign on undereating to begin with but then also that lack of fuel because your body hasn't figured out fat adaptation yet.

We do know that we have a bit of a conflict in some of the pre and post workout info so here is the most current statement from Melissa: 

First, the ISWF pre-workout recommendations were created back in 2010. Exercise nutrition best practices are always evolving, which is why we reached out to an expert in the current science; an RD who works with clients on a daily basis.

We asked Paul to explain more his rationale on eating carbs pre-workout: "Eating carbohydrates before a workout will provide the muscles with readily available fuel--taken from the blood and sent wherever it's needed, which is faster and easier to access than digging into stores glycogen. Plus, depleting glycogen levels set off fatigue sensors in the body – and we want to avoid that happening mid-workout."

The Whole30 books aren't being updated with this information at this point (book updates are a HUGE process), so please refer to the most current post for your best pre- and post-workout strategies.

Oh dear, that article blew my mind a little bit. It Starts with Food and the Meal Template are my Whole30 Bible. And now they're wrong! *Gasp* 

What I got from that article is this: 

• Pre-Workout: 2-3 hours before workout; combination of protein and high-fiber carbohydrate
  • IntraWorkout (for continuous, moderate-to-high intensity workouts longer than 45 minutes): protein and fruit juice or fruit  
  • Post-Workout: within 60 minutes;  lean protein, high-fiber carbohydrates, and lots of veggies 

So, no more fat when it comes to fueling a workout? So what happened to the whole concept of being fat adapted?? 

Hmmm... Wow.... I really liked understanding the science of this all and now this doesn't make as much sense to me!

Are there any other resources that might help? Any chance that at least the Meal Template will be updated in the short term?

Hi @kirbz - it sort of wrecked the Whole30 team too because that has been our speech for years. But - as Melissa said, the research changes and 10 years is a long time to go without reviewing and making revisions to what we know and what we recommend.

On a Whole30 you would still become fat adapted if following the template. People who don't exercise at all become fat adapted on their Whole30 so eating a bit of carb before workout won't prevent that. Of course if you were feeling fine and doing well on the original recommendations, keep going - there are no Whole30 Police. ;) 

Yes, the meal template is going to be updated and when it is I will issue it here!

19 hours ago, SassySal said:

I'm confused about how much juice to carry to my workout...

For during a long, intense workout? If you check out the article: https://whole30.com/2019/02/whole30-pre-workout-post-workout/, there's a chart showing grams of carbs based on length of workout -- so if your workout is up to 45 minutes, aim for 0-10 grams of carbs. So check out how many carbs are in the juice you're thinking of using and adjust the amount accordingly. So for instance, a cup (8 oz) of orange juice has about 26 grams of carbs, so if you exercise for 45 minutes you could have 3 1/4 ounces of orange juice, if you wanted.

Food before and during workouts is still a pretty individualized thing, so you may have to try a few options to figure out what works best for you. 

I'm glad for the updated information. Someone on a FB post reminded me that I need to eat 15 - 30 minutes after working out. That is not doable for me. I also appreciate having protein and fruit pre-workout since that is way easier for me to do (manageable). I had protein and fat before working out today. And while I could lift more and increased my reps, I was shaking towards the end of the session (60 minutes with a trainer and we always finish with ropes). I work out three times a week with a trainer and 1-2 times a week at home. The nutrition part of working out is fairly new for me. Thanks for the information.