SchrodingersCat's Round 2 diary - starting 12 May 2019

On 5/19/2019 at 8:03 PM, SchrodingersCat said:

1 hour later and the zip in these pants just gave out haahaa. Not due to being too tight, I think it was just worn but :angry::angry:

Plus, the plumber called and they can't fit my tap, I need to exchange it for a different one, so Ill have a working sink and cook top but I'll have to fill the sink with a bucket. Should be all done tomorrow, after I go buy  a new tap tonight. 

I reacted with a laugh, not to make fun of your plumbing problems but rather the zipper giving out!

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Thank you @Si-Ya! I'll look into that oil, I've never heard of it!  love celeriac, it makes the BEST chips. It's like a parsnip and a celery had a delicious baby. It's also great roasted, and I've seen a recommendation to slice it think, fry til soft and use it as a vehicle for taco or fajita ingredients!

I'm having such amazing NSVs this round, body shape wise - I'm loving it! Other body checks - My sinuses are clear and I've lost the feeling there is something caught at the back of my throat. Sorry for the gross, but the feeling that I had something trapped and had to do that disgusting hawk thing got so bad at one stage I went to a ENT doctor and got a camera put up my nose - it was inflammation. It's GONE! It went away during R1, too but I didn't notice until it was back. Same with my oral allergy symptoms - didn't notice them leave, very much noticed them return.

Vertigo is still there but not as pervasive. Being day 10, I'm hoping to be on the tail end. I'm sleeping pretty well (last night's sleep disturbance was solely due to me being really muscle sore from the huge gardening I did on the weekend). 

Day 10: 

Meal 1: 2 poached eggs, hot smoked salmon, spicy kraut.

Meal 2: tuna veggie bake with shredded slaw, flaked almonds and The Ferm Kimchi Sauce - just bought it this morning and I'm excited!

Meal 3: Snapper with lemon and dill ghee, seasoned potato wedges, sauteed asparagus, green beans and carrots and a baby spinach and pine nut salad with balsamic and olive oil dressing.

Apparently today is fish day!

I get that back-of-the-throat disgusting thing sometimes too. I discovered last Whole30 round that it is entirely due to consuming dairy. Disappeared by Day 3, but came back immediately when I reintroduced dairy. Disappeared again whenever I stopped dairy entirely (which I did on and off over the past year).

9 hours ago, doubledee said:

I get that back-of-the-throat disgusting thing sometimes too. I discovered last Whole30 round that it is entirely due to consuming dairy. Disappeared by Day 3, but came back immediately when I reintroduced dairy. Disappeared again whenever I stopped dairy entirely (which I did on and off over the past year).

I'm interested to find what causes it for me, because I rarely eat dairy due to being severely lactose intolerant as a kid. I'm suspecting I have a major sulphite issue! 

Loving my functioning kitchen! It will actually be finished properly in 2-3 weeks, I really can't wait.

I'm wearing the cutest dress today, and loving it :D Couldn't have worn it at the start of this year!!

Meal 1: Coleslaw with mayo/chimmichurri dressing and hot smoked salmon

Meal 2: 2 poached eggs with spicy kraut

Meal 3: Bolognaise on zucchini and sweet potato zoodles with a handful of olives and some anchovies mixed through, puttanesca style :) 

So tomorrow is the Biggest Morning Tea to raise funds for the Cancer Council, and work always has a baking competition.  I love to bake, and people expect special things. So I just made Raspberry Cheesecake Triple Choc Brownies... without licking the bowl, the spoon, the beaters, my fingers.... now the house smells like hot chocolate and raspberry. Agony!!!

Day 12! I'm ticking along just fine, no cravings, no kill all the things, no withdrawals... vertigo is lessening, I'm sleeping pretty well, no heartburn, IBS is under control, sinuses are clear, oral allergy symptoms are not present... I don't have tiger blood (and don't expect to). 

Thew brownies appear to be amazing, but I have to wait for someone else to taste them lol.

Meal 1: Sri Lankan Curry with roasted veg medley and cauli rice

Meal 3: Something with turkey breast steaks, maybe? 

8 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Change of plans!

Dinner is porterhouse (strip) steak, potato gratin (something like this, maybe https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/76994/potato-gratin-with-chicken-broth-garlic-and-thyme/), broccolini and baked zucchini. Yum. Might do a bit of a spinach salad with it, just to bulk up the greenery!

Yum. How did the potato gratin come out? I might make something like that tonight.

Day... 13? I'm losing count.

Meal 1: Sri Lankan curry with aforementioned veg.

Meal 3: Cotechino with sauteed cabbage, carrots and broccolini, sweet potato rounds.

Tomorrow AM we're off to Sydney just for 36 hours. I think I've posted about this before. There's a burger place which does a compliant salad I can have, and which the hubster loves enough to go more than once. We may be having brunch with friends on Sunday before flying home, but I'll just get poached eggs with sauteed mushrooms and spinach (cooked in oil, not butter). I've also found a seafood restaurant which does grilled fish of the day with steamed broccolini which is listed as dairy free - I'll make sure they don't flour it in anything and have that. 

Sydney weekend! Finding it a bit tough, to be honest, had a compliant salad from a burger chain for brunch but it was very average, need to find somewhere for dinner ( until the average salad, i was happy to go there twice), we have a few hours to kill before the show and i really just want to find a nice bar to lounge in, but that won't end well. 

This didn't post so update, went to a seafood restaurant for dinner, had the most expensive dry plain fish and steamed broccolini of my life. Plus the worst coffee. I hate eating out on W30, can't understand why people do it voluntarily. All my food today sucked, can't wait to cook myself something worth eating! 

OK, back to normal life!

Meal 1: Canned salmon in spring water with coleslaw mix, flaked almonds, mayo and chimmichurri

Meal 2: No idea, will need to grab something, I'm thinking compliant pumpkin and ginger soup (its one of the few supermarket foods I can find that's compliant).

Meal 3: Chicken cacciatore with steamed green beans, roasted cauli and brussels and cauliflower rice (the food I should have food prepped for lunches yesterday and didn't, so it's dinner tonight and leftovers are lunches.

Very tired today, I actually took an extra 45 minutes to sleep (yay flexible work start times). But that's because I got less sleep on the weekend than I get during the week (up at 6am Saturday for the flight after going to bed at almost 1, awake at 7 Sunday because it was not the most sound-proof of hotels after going to bed just after midnight)

Vertigo is definitely lessening. Sinuses are not bad, though not as clear as they were (it's definitely getting wintery here though). IBS is completely under control. 

Ok so meal 1 and 2 got kind of combined, I had a vegan sweet potato, leek and celeriac soup, and coleslaw with mayo and chimmichurri with a tin of salmon. 

So so tired today, I think it's a combo of a big weekend, and just undereating through lack of options and then being too tired to eat last night and not liking what I cooked for dinner. We walked 15km or more on Saturday, then danced for 2 hours straight on Saturday night, so I burned a hell of a lot of energy on very little food. 

Good for you for making it through your trip. Traveling on this diet is hard. I think you'll get your energy back pretty quickly now that you're home and back to cooking for yourself. Personally I'm looking forward to going out to eat AFTER this Whole30 is over!

I really do look forward to being able to eat out again, just on occasion. I'll still be trying to avoid many things, but being able to not worry if there is sugar in a sauce will be nice.

So, Day 17. I'm at that point where I've been perfectly compliant but the little voice in the back of my head who likes to mess with me is telling me I ate too much, that's too much fat, I'm not going to lose weight (even though that's not why I'm doing this), I'd feel just as fine if i lightened up a bit (nope, i wouldn't..). Brains are jerks. Particularly mine. I think it's because of the weekend away, I'm a routine driven creature and having that lingering worry that I missed something and something wasn't compliant is squirreling away. 

SO, NSVs. Back at the start of the year, I went through my overstuffed closet and packed anything too small for me into storage boxes. I arranged by size and clothes type (casual or work). I've been busting into those boxes in recent weeks and not only am I fitting into the 14-16 (US10-12) box, some of it is too big for me.

Vertigo is almost gone. Sleep is great, though I still need a lot. IBS is completely settled, even with the incredibly high dose of antibiotics I'm on for an infection. Skin is good, still very flushed in the cheeks but I don't think that's a food cure. No oral allergy symptoms, sinuses are good. I haven't needed antacids since I got back on W30. 

This is good. I am good. This is working and I'm doing REALLY well! (so STFU, brain).

Day 17:

Meal 1: 2 poached eggs and saurekraut

Meal 2: Chicken cacciatore, cauli rice and maybe some steamed carrot and broccoli (I have this THING about not having green veg with a meal. I know cauli is fine, but it just seems wrong)

Meal 3: Crispy skin salmon with sauteed asparagus, carrot and green beans, sauteed spinach with cherry tomatoes and balsamic, and herb and ghee steamed sweet potato.

I've been super lazy on food making lately. I'm off to the market today and I'm going to grab a deboned pork leg and get it on cure for a smoked ham. I might also get some turkey breast and brine and smoke that too, and a pork belly for some streaky bacon. 

I've been using jamon as a substitute for bacon because I cannot get compliant bacon, but the fact is I can just make it. I just need to stop being a slacker! We have nothing planned for this weekene, I might even defrost the 2kg of pork neck I have in the freezer and make some sausages. 

AH F-word.

I have a lunch on the 7th. Day 30 is the 10th. It's not just any lunch, its a big, huge important lunch with big huge important clients. It's about 600 people, so not like I can pick off a menu. I can definitely tell them I'm gluten and dairy free, but legume, other grains and sugar free might be pushing the friendship. 

I'm just going to have to do my best....

I have such cravings at the moment, I can have an amazing, delicious compliant meal and afterwards I just WANT. Seems to be sugar cravings, though not just that - I'm wondering if it is because of the heavy duty antibiotics I'm on, they seem to be making me very tired (well, something is) and when I'm tired, I crave instant energy (even though I know it will make me feel crap). 

Archived