SchrodingersCat's Round 2 diary - starting 12 May 2019

11 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

AH F-word.

I have a lunch on the 7th. Day 30 is the 10th. It's not just any lunch, its a big, huge important lunch with big huge important clients. It's about 600 people, so not like I can pick off a menu. I can definitely tell them I'm gluten and dairy free, but legume, other grains and sugar free might be pushing the friendship. 

I'm just going to have to do my best....

Hmm, that does sound like a challenge. One thought: Since it's such a huge event (600 people!) maybe nobody will be paying much attention to what you eat. Could you eat something privately before the business lunch, and then if there's nothing compliant on offer just push food around on your plate for a bit?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, doubledee said:

Hmm, that does sound like a challenge. One thought: Since it's such a huge event (600 people!) maybe nobody will be paying much attention to what you eat. Could you eat something privately before the business lunch, and then if there's nothing compliant on offer just push food around on your plate for a bit?

Not really, unfortunately. We're a table of 10, 5 from my office and 5 client guests. Me not drinking will be noticeable enough!

I remember last year there being a nice steak with veg for main, I'm hoping that if that's gluten and dairy free, I can manage it. Skipping dessert will be easy and entree i can probably push around the plate.

Day 17!

I'm struggling. As I posted last night, I just have the 'I wants' and seem to be fighting myself a lot. I think it's because I'm not feeling great at the moment, less positive effects = less dedication. It's not W30s fault that I'm not feeling well though, as I noted I'm on these heavy duty antibiotics which I think are knocking my stuffing out, not to mention the infection I'm taking them for, my other medical issues which seem to be flaring up, it being winter, me being a bit down, blah blah blah. 

PLUS, now I have the demotivating UGH of having this lunch likely to stuff up my W30 3 days before the end, and the day before a long weekend which of course is just going to make me want to go "stuff it". Which I can't, because I MUST do reintro properly.

Anyway. That's a problem for then. For now, I got a kilo of bacon curing last night, I have a kilo of turkey breast curing for lunch meats to be either roasted or smoked tonight (still deciding if I can be bothered dragging out the smoker) and tonight I'll get a 2kg pork leg into brine to be smoked into ham. 

For today:

Meal 1: Salmon, kraut

Meal 2: Chicken cacciatore, cauli rice, anchovy stuffed olives

Meal 3: No idea. I have lamb mince in the freezer, might do a sheperds pie, it's cold enough for it. 

Still badly craving junk food. I ate the rest of the pack of almonds in my desk (not many, no more than a serve) but that's 3 days in a row I'd had a late afternoon handful of almonds. I'm just really tired, and pretty flat and just uninspired. Which is so dumb, because I'm feeling so much better than I was 18 days ago.

I wish we could save the way we feel so that we could go back to it later and feel it again. Just to remind us when we're feeling better and some times has passed that we really, truly DID feel like shit and that this is completely worth keeping up. 

EDIT: I'm so glad I keep this log, though, I just went back and read page 1. It's a great reminder.

Dinner was Salisbury Steak with mushroom gravy, sweet potato and roasted veggies.

Dinner was late and i did snack on some leftover roast lamb and tried a small piece of turkey i roasted.

I worked out that i feel like i have really bad PMS, cranky, down, sooky and craving all the things

14 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Huh, day 18 actually!

I kept (keep) losing days too. 

I'm sorry you're struggling with cravings Schrod - that's the absolute worst especially after all the work you've done this year!!

My mom isn't well and I have been overwhelmed with fatigue and worry and her care and managing my busy business around the bits of time allotted me. For the first time since Day 10 (January 13th!) of my first W30, I really started craving a glass of wine (or 3) in the evenings. It's taken everything I have not to stop on the way home from her place and pick up a bottle (I'm in my Airstream in a campground near her and have no access to my cellar - good thing!!). What's been helpful is sitting with what I am feeling and naming it (like you're doing) and allowing myself to just feel the emotions that I want to coverup with a glass of wine! It's REALLY F'ing HARD!!! But useful - I had a total shit day with her last week and came home ready to rummage through someone's recycle bin and drink the drips left in an empty bottle. It was that bad. Instead, I made my fav herbal tea; sat with my journal; wrote a bit; thought a bit; and simply acknowledged how crap it all was and what a great job I was doing and, the feeling/craving went on its way. Not coincidentally, the next day with her was much better. And now the steroids are kicking in and a treatment plan is in place and things are settling considerably.

No advice in all of that - just sharing. I'm so happy with how my W30 body feels and don't want to go back. Doing all this work - dealing with cravings and work expectations (I had a business lounge flashback when I read your description of the work event coming up... ARGH) and keeping ourselves accountable to our goals and living our best, most aligned life - it's bloody hard work, isn't it?

How's the vertigo? I read your whole log (please come cook for me - I've been living on whatever I can throw into the pressure cooker and eat on the run since my mom got sick!) looking for an update!!

Hang in there!

Hey @Lorna from Canada! Good to hear from you, I was wondering how you're going. I'm sorry you're having such a rough time with your mom... Thank you for that, it's good to read about someone going through the same struggles. I don't have anything as major going on, just house renovations, and finding out we have major plumbing issues, and assignments due (overdue but I snagged extensions), work fatigue, winter onset fatigue and just feeling quite blah.

Vertigo is MUCH better. It's still there, a little, but it is nothing like it was. The timing is about right, too, from my last round. My concern with it is that I'm not going to find out through a normal reintro what causes it, because it didn't come back for a week or so after I went completely off the rails, and takes up to 3 weeks to go away, so whatever it is is clearly cumulative. But, the one thing I know for sure is that eating W30 makes it go away and if I have to stay 95% compliant from here on out, that's what I'll do. I'm happy to reintro SWYPO and whatnot, and I'm positive its not caused by sugar, or even dairy (because I don't eat enough dairy for it to have been the trigger), so maybe paleo is the go for me (as much as I loathe calling it that - the pitfalls of having passionate archaeologist friends haahaa). I still suspect wine/alcohol. 

Day 19! I'm trying not to let my Day 27 lunch get me down (or let it convince me to just let go on the long weekend following it).

Got my ham into brine last night, that will be ready for smoking or baking (whichever I can be bothered doing) in a week. Bit late for this round, but it will be nice to have and I've decided to make all my home smallgoods compliant where possible so that when I do go back on round, the stuff in the freezer is compliant (I've had to avoid my lovely pastrami this round!)

Meal 1/2 food to be eaten in whatever combo takes my fancy (I'm going to be honest, I usually  only eat 1 meal during the day these days):  Roasted turkey, mayo and chimmichurri, coleslaw mix, spicy kraut, anchovy stuffed olives and poached eggs.

Meal 3: I don't know. I don't care. I'm really over cooking dinner right now. 

So glad to hear about the vertigo!!! I'm the same with sleep - I can't pinpoint what it was that I've eliminated that allows me to sleep so well. As I slipped a bit in Aus before I came home, my sleep was back to being fractured and fitful - now I'm back to sleeping like a baby. Maybe staying on W30 is the trick??? I'm basically still full on W30 - I treasure this sleep while life is so upsetting and stressful.

Cheers mate. 

28 minutes ago, Lorna from Canada said:

So glad to hear about the vertigo!!! I'm the same with sleep - I can't pinpoint what it was that I've eliminated that allows me to sleep so well. As I slipped a bit in Aus before I came home, my sleep was back to being fractured and fitful - now I'm back to sleeping like a baby. Maybe staying on W30 is the trick??? I'm basically still full on W30 - I treasure this sleep while life is so upsetting and stressful.

Cheers mate. 

Oh, the sleep is glorious, isn't it?? 

Sorry to hear you're struggling. I've been incredibly impressed by all the cooking you're doing--curing your own meats especially kicks it up a couple of notches! I hope you're able to get back into a groove. You only have, what, 11 days left??

42 minutes ago, doubledee said:

Sorry to hear you're struggling. I've been incredibly impressed by all the cooking you're doing--curing your own meats especially kicks it up a couple of notches! I hope you're able to get back into a groove. You only have, what, 11 days left??

Thank you! I'm feeling a bit better today, I actually wonder if it was hormonal. I have a Mirena, but my first round my body seriously tried to have a period for the first time in 4 years. The crankiness, the cravings, the tiredness... all seems like rockin' PMS in hindsight! We shall see how I feel when I hit that mid-afternoon slump time that's been doing me in. 

Yup, 11 days! With my annoying lunch on day 27, SIGH. I'm going to do my upmost, though. That's no excuse to fall over so close!

I love curing meats, making food is my hobby. I also make my own spices and spice blends, pet treats, jerky and sausages! 

Worked from home today, so I made the most amazing whole roasted cauliflower with lemon and mustard sauce!! I had it with my turkey lunchmeat and some stuffed olives. 

https://www.goodfood.com.au/recipes/whole-roasted-cauliflower-with-lemon-and-mustard-20150719-3zk4z

Waiting for the hubster to get home to think about dinner, we have to pop out anyway. It's cold and miserable and Friday, we might even go for roasted turkey drumsticks with mash and veggies. 

Oddly, I have a little big of vertigo right now, not sure what the trigger was save that I also have a headache and my neck hurts. 

So this round I have been thinking I've not really been losing weight, but that's not why I'm doing it, so whatever. 

Than I tried on some old jeans today when I tried on a few weeks ago and couldn't get up over my thighs.... guess what I wore all day today? Mentioned it to my husband, including that I didn't think I'd lost weight, and he told me I'd been dropping weight like crazy lol. Guess I should have asked. They're not even stretch jeans. 

I've had a cranking headache the last few days, I think my neck is out.  I've been a bit cranky, definitely no tiger blood, but I never really expect it.

No idea what I'm making for lunches this week, I have chicken but that's as far as I've gotten...

I’m happy to hear your vertigo is improving.  And it must have felt so good to put those jeans on. I lost 17 lbs on my last unfinished round. I gained back 8 in the hospital, still 9 lbs down! The whole 30 just works for me. I had such gastrointestinal upset from the hospital food, I already feel better now that I’m back to whole 30 meals.

Day 23. 

Looked long and hard at the extreme donut shop on the way in today, just because I'm in a foul mood and have a huge "F-IT" attitude, but no real struggle there, just the devil on my shoulder. 

Meal 1: Roasted chicken or turkey breast (some lunches are one, others the other and I didn't look closely) with roasted veggie medley and roasted harissa tahini cauliflower, all topped with lemon tahini dressing

Meal 2: Scotch fillet steak with grilled sweet potato, asparagus, the cauliflower equivalent of broccolini (whose name I can't recall), sauteed shredded carrot and brussel sprouts in duck fat with flaked almonds.

I have gained and lost weight, significant weight, more times than I can count, but for some reason, since the beginning of the year and on Whole30, my boobs have shrunk so much!! Not entirely complaining, it's amazing to not have to go E/F cups (I'm down to a DD and shrinking) and being able to buy pretty bras  without spending a fortune on plus sizes.  But its so weird, they've never shrunk like this before.

I got my first "you've lost weight!" at work today, which is funny because I've lost a lot since the start of the year. It was nice to hear! I'm actually fitting into normal sized clothes and not having to shop in the plus sizes (not to mention doing some epic "shopping" in my own closet).

4 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

I was still hungry after dinner, so had a small serve of roast lamb and a handful of stuffed green olives

I'm a little bit jealous of the fact that you have roast lamb just sitting around ready for you whenever you're feeling a bit peckish!

Archived