SchrodingersCat's Round 2 diary - starting 12 May 2019

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, this was not a great weekend. All food was compliant but there was champage yesterday and organic red wine today. I just know I'm going to wake up with anxiety. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

The prime rib was AMAZING. Best cut of meat I've ever cooked. Had it with mashed potato and pumpkin with ghee, and steamed broccolini and asparagus, and a handful of almonds.

Back to 100% compliant tomorrow, Dairy has been bumped to Wednesday. 

As predicted, I woke up at 4am and never went back to sleep. Red wine does that to me every time and I don't seem to flippin' learn. SIGH. 

THEN this morning I forgot to put the meal I'd prepared to slow cook today in the damn slow cooker, so BOO!! We'll have it tomorrow, and tonight I'll just grill something.

I was compliant all weekend, save for the alcohol, and I actually regret that. It was not the plan and as such I feel like I slipped. It goes to show how slippery that slope is!!

I'm paying for it with gastric distress (code for additional bathroom time) and heartburn. 

Anyway. Compliant today and tomorrow, dairy on Wednesday IF I'm otherwise fine. Maybe Thursday to let my belly settle down.

Meal 1: Hot smoked salmon and spicy kraut

Meal 2: Salmon patties with spicy mayo and coleslaw with Thai dressing

Meal 3: Pork chops with roasted veggie medley and dukkah

Saw my neuro today, he's really happy with me and delighted that I'm down 25kg, and down to one med a day. I talked to him about my fatigue (unavoidable, and I'm unwilling to medicate for it), and about my wonky eyesight (think it's just time I got glasses, I passed all his tests) and about the vertigo (still appears to be food related or W30 wouldn't work so well).

It's nice to have a doctor who isn't all about shoving pills at me and actually cheers for getting off meds and healthy living. 

So. I'm going back to Taekwondo on Wednesday!!! I quit when the vertigo got bad, just before getting my black belt! So I'm starting back with a veiw to going for black at the end of the year. 

No. More. Wine.

Had a couple of glasses of red last night because something we'd been waiting for for ages finally came through. Not really a celebration, but an excuse haahaa

Fish day! We're having salmon, because salmon. It means I'm having salmon for all 3 meals today and I don't care because salmon!

Meal 1: Hot smoked salmon and spicy kraut

Meal 2: Salmon patties with spicy mayo and coleslaw with Thai dressing

Meal 3: Salmon with asparagus, broccolini, lemon garlic potatoes and kalamata tapenade

Everything I've eaten so far has been compliant, but I'm having one of those days where mentally I'm feeling like I'm 'failing', which is dub for so many reasons. A. I'm not even on round. B. Everything I've eaten has been compliant anyway. C. I haven't even eaten that much!! In addition to meals 1 and 2, I've also had a handful of almonds and that's it. I know what this is, and its my awful subconscious trying to tell me I may as well just cave and eat something that I'm going to wildly regret. I'm having terrible sugar/junk/take-away cravings. I blame the 3 days in a row of drinking wine - it leaves me feeling blah, and a bit anxious, and I don't sleep well so I crave fast energy out of weariness. I know that by tomorrow it will improve, but that doesn't help right now!!!

Ended up eating 3 tiny chocolate eggs, left over from Easter last night. I didn't even enjoy them and have no real reason I ate the second and third after the first was meh. At least I stopped at 3? I'd chuck the rest but I'm going to use them in a dessert for an event in a couple of weeks instead. Bonus is, they don't seem to have done me any harm.

19 hours ago, Pandora Black said:

I thought about buying a leg of lamb but it’s literally $50 and I think that’s insane. Also Whole Foods is sold out of it all the time.

When my mom wants lamb, she'll get ground lamb and mix it with ground turkey to make lamb-burgers or meatloaf. The lamb itself is too expensive for me to include in my normal grocery budget/planning (for 4-5 adults), but she uses separate funds occasionally for things like that so she can have them (usually just for her and my dad), since they're never included in my plans. Just figured I'd mention it as a possible option, since you can make it stretch a lot farther that way but still get some of the lamb taste and goodness :) 

On 6/20/2019 at 5:19 PM, SchrodingersCat said:

So notice how I haven't logged food for a couple days? Yup... totally off the wagon. Good news is, I don't appear to have horrible effects from gluten or dairy?

I feel you. I’m so sick of Whole 30 food right now. I literally cannot even look at an egg. I am sick of meat at every meal. I’m even a little sick of coconut. I’m looking forward to food freedom.

On 6/26/2019 at 4:04 PM, Pandora Black said:

I feel you. I’m so sick of Whole 30 food right now. I literally cannot even look at an egg. I am sick of meat at every meal. I’m even a little sick of coconut. I’m looking forward to food freedom.

My food freedom has become food frenzy!! I'm going to food prep this weekend and put a stop to this craziness. 

• 2 weeks later...

BLERGH

So I got through my huge event, and the foodie weekend from heaven/hell and I feel GROSS. I had a lovely time, and it was amazing to food with my BFF but I can't wait to get back on track. I NEED VEGETABLES!!

I don't think I'm going to start another round, but really commit myself to food freedom, and focus on mostly compliant but not counting days. Kind of paleo, I guess?

Meal 1: Poached eggs and spicy kraut

Meal 2: Chicken and veggie soup

Meal 3: Grilled sirloin, steamed broccolini, celeriac chips, brussel sprouts

35 minutes ago, coachmandiep said:

@SchrodingersCat today's meals sound wonderful!  Make sure to add some fat for satisfaction.  I love how you are jumping right back in :)

Oh, I love my plated fats, but today I feel sooooooo gross and full of fat and cheese that I'm going really light, the thought of oil makes me want to cry haahaa. I feel like I have deep fryer oil in my veins. 

OK, Round 3 starts on Monday, because I am USELESS at Food Freedom. Utterly useless.

Food prep weekend, here I come!

I'm planning:

• Egg muffins with veggies and wrapped in prosciutto 
  • Sri Lankan beef and coconut curry with cauli rice
  • Chicken pot pie soup
  • Beef bone broth

I'm also going to prep a few slow cooker meals (beef pot roast with veggies, lamb shanks, curried chicken lovely legs) for the week so there are no excuses.

• Whole30 Certified Coach
15 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

OK, Round 3 starts on Monday, because I am USELESS at Food Freedom

What are you experiencing when you attempt living in Food Freedom?  Are you willing to do a mini-reset just to get back on track and then try again?

BTW, your meals sound delicious!

16 hours ago, coachmandiep said:

What are you experiencing when you attempt living in Food Freedom?  Are you willing to do a mini-reset just to get back on track and then try again?

BTW, your meals sound delicious!

That's actually exactly what I'm going to do! a 2 week mini-reset. 

I'm just all or nothing. I'm either perfectly happy on round, or eating a pack of cookies for dinner. Plus eating crappy makes me feel crappy and feeling crappy makes me eat crappy. Ironic. 

I've had my yearly "event" - we throw a 4th of July party every year where we host 40+ people and serve every stereotypical USA food under the sun (I'm an American living in Australia) and it involves interstate guests and leftovers and just insane foods. 

But tomorrow is food-prep and I'm back on track. I've gained 7lbs!!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

@SchrodingersCat

I was just chatting with another member and shared this:  I hear ya, I am the same way.  I also come from a background of serial dieting.  I am still a work in progress, but what I have found is that I needed to change my mindset.  When I feel that I made a poor decision I do a quick analysis of why it happened.  Was I not prepared (no plan)?  Was I stressed, sad, angry, tired or happy and wanting to celebrate?  Did my day go differently than planned?  Did I keep eating something that wasn't "worth it"?  Once I figure out why I made the decision, I can think through what I will do differently next time. 

I have become better at meal planning and sticking with my plan, not soothing myself or celebrating with food, keeping emergency food on hand, and stopping if the first bite isn't "worth it".  I am the first to admit that there are times that I still make a decision that bites me in the bum, but I now look at it as information.  I have come a long way since my dieting days and am in a much happier place.  I know you can change your mindset as well.  Gather your Food Freedom information, (this phase is ongoing), and create an action plan based on your "data".  As you change your mindset and your habits, your confidence in Food Freedom will grow. 

I am so glad you are doing a mini-reset!  Once you are feeling back on track, jump right back in to FF.  Just remember to journal if it helps with the analysis portion, but then put on your problem-solving cap.  You've got this!

Archived