SchrodingersCat's Round 2 diary - starting 12 May 2019

So frustrating. I feel awful. I have terrible vertigo, I could fall asleep right now, and my neck and shoulders are so sore - I feel like a bobble head whose spring's about to snap. If it the peas? I doubt it, but that's the really annoying thing - I have so many random symptoms right now I don't know what's what. I have the neurologist on Monday, but he won't have answers as it is just a check in. My next MRI isn't until September.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had vertigo off and on in the past - the benign paroxysmal positional variety, so bad sometimes that turning over in bed would make me nauseous.  Have you tried the at home exercises?  I'm sure you have, but on the very rare off-chance you haven't:

https://www.webmd.com/brain/home-remedies-vertigo#1

If yours are neurologic this won't help, but if it's the above variety just may. It resolves mine every time (so far).

Also, don't discount it may indeed be the legumes, or at least in part.  After my whole30, reintroducing peanuts gave me migraine.  

Feel better!

Thanks @JenX! I had some exercises back at the start, but I confess I didn't stick with them long. I'm willing to try anything though. 

I think the only reason I don't suspect legumes for the trigger is because I really don't eat them often.

BUT here's the weird thing - I've posted a lot about not feeling great this round, not having energy etc etc.

This morning, after having my legume reintro yesterday, I got up 15 minutes before my alarm (instead of 10 minutes after like usual), walked up all 3 huge flights of stairs from the train station (instead of standing on the escalator like usual) and I have ENERGY. It's like the opposite of what you'd expect from a reintro. I actually feel better than I have in weeks?? I'm actually going to buy some more legumes to add to lunch today and see how I feel tomorrow (I do have the time to do a 2 days on, 4 days off reintro and have kept that as a back up plan). 

I wonder what it could be? Was I under-eating? Not getting enough carbs?

Meal 1: hot smoked salmon with spicy kraut

Meal 2: Creamy chicken veggie soup

Meal 3: fajitas - romaine, capsicum, onion, jalapenos, salsa

I didn't end up doing day 2 of legumes, just didn't get around to it. 

Have had some vertigo since late afternoon and a headache, but I don't think it's food related. I'm seeing the chiro tomorrow, and depending how i feel after getting adjusted (especially if it significantly improves things) I might actually start reintro over with legumes again on Friday.

I saw my Chiro yesterday. He got me adjusted (atlas and TMJ, but also popped my back and did spinal decompression), but suggested a massage and noted that I might still have some pain either way. I always expect discomfort to some degree post-adjustment, just by virtue of him moving things around in there... but I've never had it last more than 12ish hours, and today I'm still in pain nearly 24 hours later. It sucks :( 

He also suggested a massage, so I booked that (with his brother) before I left the office yesterday -- and am off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of massage this morning. I only did 30 minutes this time, so hopefully it'll be good enough.

I hope your Chiro gets you sorted!!

2 minutes ago, Jihanna said:

I saw my Chiro yesterday. He got me adjusted (atlas and TMJ, but also popped my back and did spinal decompression), but suggested a massage and noted that I might still have some pain either way. I always expect discomfort to some degree post-adjustment, just by virtue of him moving things around in there... but I've never had it last more than 12ish hours, and today I'm still in pain nearly 24 hours later. It sucks :( 

He also suggested a massage, so I booked that (with his brother) before I left the office yesterday -- and am off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of massage this morning. I only did 30 minutes this time, so hopefully it'll be good enough.

I hope your Chiro gets you sorted!!

Thank you, I hope your massage gets you sorted!! I might have to get one, though I'm really leery, last time I had one firm enough to do anything, I ended up bruised to hell!

20 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

BUT here's the weird thing - I've posted a lot about not feeling great this round, not having energy etc etc.

This morning, after having my legume reintro yesterday, I got up 15 minutes before my alarm (instead of 10 minutes after like usual), walked up all 3 huge flights of stairs from the train station (instead of standing on the escalator like usual) and I have ENERGY. It's like the opposite of what you'd expect from a reintro. I actually feel better than I have in weeks?? I'm actually going to buy some more legumes to add to lunch today and see how I feel tomorrow (I do have the time to do a 2 days on, 4 days off reintro and have kept that as a back up plan). 

I wonder what it could be? Was I under-eating? Not getting enough carbs?

Legumes (in moderation of course) are awesome! This is one area where I'm not convinced by the Whole30 science. I'm sure there are some people for whom legumes aren't healthy, but for most of us I think they're just fine. I made some tasty white beans and sausage for breakfast this morning and have been feeling fantastic all day!

2 hours ago, doubledee said:

Legumes (in moderation of course) are awesome! This is one area where I'm not convinced by the Whole30 science. I'm sure there are some people for whom legumes aren't healthy, but for most of us I think they're just fine. I made some tasty white beans and sausage for breakfast this morning and have been feeling fantastic all day!

One thing I like is that W30 doesn't necessarily say the things we exclude are bad, per se, but just that they are the most common for causing issues. I agree with you that if legumes don't cause issues (and they sure don't seem to me) then they are 100% a great part of a very healthy diet! 

White beans and sausage sounds soooo good. I need to make some sausage this weekend. 

I bought some collagen, because my knees are bad and my hair and nails are yuck. It's supposed to be flavourless but it makes me coffee taste weird - not bad, necessarily, just weird. I think I can choke it down, but if it starts repeating on me I might need to mix it into food rather than drinking it. 

More chicken soup today, and I'm not sure if the hubster is home for dinner but with chiro right at dinner time, dinner will be quick and easy. Might just defrost some steak and have it with roasted veggies tossed in pesto.

Tired, tired, tired today, though I had a late(r) night and an early start, plus an intense morning work-wise. I also have a foggy right eye which is irking me. I can't wait to see the Chiro tonight, even thought I know he's going to give me a telling off about how long its been...

Non-Gluten Grain reintro day is here. I really hope I'm fine with corn, because I do love it. Rice I can give or take, though I'm going to have it for dinner because it's good to know if it is a problem.

Meal 1: Chicken soup, corn thins

Meal 2: Jumbalaya style chicken, prawn and chorizo risotto with capsicum and broccoli 

Got some corn for my lunch soup, and I picked up some chorizo with is compliant save from the dextrose, which is corn derived - making it ideal for this reintro. There's only a tiny amount of it in any event, and if I could be bothered arguing it, I'd posit that fermented meats use up the sugar during the process, much like kombucha. Anyway, I'm excited to try it!

I also found compliant polish sausage, which is really exciting, because I'm going to go back on round after my event in July. 

I have a bit of vertigo, again annoying. I can't believe it went away so well in Round 1, only to linger now. It's a bit depressing. It's nowhere near as bad, but I just want it GONE.

It was only one glass, so if I don't have any reaction I'm going to assume that the rice and corn was not an issue.

Immediately after rice I'm very full, not quite bloated but more uncomfortable than I usually have been, even with a big meal. Not a bad reaction per se, but I've always found that rice makes me very full shortly after eating it.

Dinner was amazing though:

• Chicken thigh
  • Almost compliant chorizo (contained dextrose derived from corn, so suitable for this reintro)
  • Smoked bacon
  • Capsicum
  • Onion
  • Garlic
  • Fresh jalapeno
  • Smoked paprika
  • Sundried tomatoes
  • Smoked tomatoes
  • Compliant chicken stock
  • Passata
  • Broccolini

Cooked the onion, then added the diced chicken, chopped chorizo and chopped bacon, browned then added the capsicum, garlic , paprika tomatoes and jalapeno, let it cook down then added the stock and passata, let it cook down then add the broccoli until tender.

Sooooo good. I'm totally making this for work lunches to have with cauli rice. 

5 minutes ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Stomach pain is gone, it wasn't terrible, just present, but I've woken up with joint pain, which is annoying.

I'm going to rereintro rice on Monday to make sure it is the rice and not the glass of wine

I can’t drink at all, ever. Mixes with my meds and gives me terrible headaches. Like instant hangover before it even wears off. Thank heaven for legal Cannabis!

glad your stomach ache is better.

Brunch:  Breakfast tray bake. Potato, turnip, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, and capsicum tossed in evil and Old Bay, roasted with Polish sausage and topped with a couple of eggs. YUM!!

Dinner is roast beef with roasted veggies. Why?... because it's my dog's birthday and I'm making him a roast dinner... Here's my boy:

Ludo1.jpg

Ludo2.jpg

Archived