Chicken noodle soup

Deurikka

This is my family's favourite soup, so I have to cook it very often. Can I have it ot I have to change some things? Can I leave noodles? 

2 lb bone-in skinless chicken breasts or thighs, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon butter, 1 onion chopped, 4 carrots peeled and chopped, 2 stalks of celery chopped, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1taspoon dried thyme, 1 bay leaf, 4 cups chicken stock, 3 cups water, 2 cups uncooked egg noodles, chopped parsley, salt and pepper to taste

• Moderators

You can't have the noodles. You could spiralize some kind of vegetable to have some noodle-like things in the soup, but depending on what vegetable you used, you may not have to cook them as long -- zucchini you would probably be able to just put in each bowl and put the hot soup over them and that would be enough, rather than actually cooking them. Or you could just add a bunch more vegetables rather than noodles to make it a chunkier soup.

You can't use the butter, you'd need to do ghee or clarified butter or some other compliant oil. For the broth, you'd have to read the ingredients on the one you were using to ensure it's all whole30, or make your own.

I would make the soup (with coconut oil since we don't use ghee here) base on its own, and cook noodles for the family separately (if they're not willing to try mine)... and spiralize some daikon radish for myself, because it works extremely well in soups.

That said, also keep in mind that just because it's a family favorite doesn't mean that it can't be left out of the meal plan for the length of your Whole30 experiment. My family used to LOVE thick southwestern chili, but they were fine with me putting beans in the garage to wait until I was ready to cook them again... and my husband is perfectly capable of making himself something totally different if my choice for dinner doesn't appeal to him. So, just a thought that might help to clarify how much you should feel obliged to do :) (If it's your kids that cry out for the soup, maybe try adjusting the broth and instead of any noodles at all see if they'd enjoy riced cauliflower instead... chicken and rice was always my favorite growing up!)

Archived