Sweet potato "muffins?" SWYPO?

LA28

I was reading through all the discussion about the crepes and i was wondering about this concoction I make as sort of a quick post WOD meal. All it is is sweet potato, eggs and ghee. I pour the mixture into muffin tins (out of simplicity really) and top with a piece of berry (blueberry or strawberry) and sprinkle some cinnamon and bake. I figured since they are fat, protein and carbs they are a good "whole" mini meal? Is this SWYPO?

I have come to the conclusion that SWYPO is a very personal thing because it really depends on your habits prior to the W30 and IMHO there are some very contradicting messages on here. I get it, I really do, but I don't understand why an egg and banana "pancake" is out, but sweet potato "fries" and kale "chips" are in.

So I have taken all the information on board and am making judgments based not on what the forum says, but on MY issues with food. I never have pancakes. Ever. In fact, the last time I had them was when I was doing a programme similar to this and entirely because I could pre-make them and take them cold to work with me for breakfast. So I may decide at some point to have the occasional egg and banana pancake for convenience sake. Likewise, fries are not something that has ever really been on my radar - they're a very rare occurrence so I'm not fussed about having them occasionally in parsnip form. My husband regularly eats an adapted pumpkin pie recipe as well. We're British so neither of us has ever had pumpkin pie in our lives and it's not replacing anything he has had regularly previously. Also, in my opinion, it's blimmin' disgusting and I don't know how he can do it! Hahahah!

On the other hand, chips (crisps, dammit! ;) ) have always been an issue for me so kale chips are off the menu. Same with ice cream kinda stuff - to me, freezing a banana or anything along those lines is SWYPO because of my relationship with that food. Maybe no one else on this forum would agree with me on those two, but that's what they are to me.

I've genuinely found the messages on here about SWYPO really contradictory and confusing. Not through anyone's fault at all - this forum has been a god send all round and everyone on it is helpful and means well. But to me, SWYPO is such a grey area that it has to be personal. Because how can you say one thing is alright and another isn't when they are all ultimately mimicking former poor choices.

This probably isn't a very helpful answer and I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with me (one of the mods might even be able to provide a more clear outline of what is and isn't ok), but to my mind only you can really decide if it's SWYPO. If it's unlike anything you have regularly eaten previously and won't mess with your head then I say go for it :)

I'm not a mod either (obviously) but would agree with Wendy and Kim. I think a characteristic of SWYPO foods is lack of nutritional benefit but your dish sounds so good (nutrition and taste-wise) that I think I will try it myself!

SWYPO - http://whole9life.com/2011/10/sex-with-your-pants-on/

Your muffin doesn't really sound like a muffin - no flour, no attempt to make a re-creation of a sweet treat from former days. Well Fed which is Whole 30 approved has a spinich and egg muffin. We'll wait for the offical mod to chime in, but it does sound fine.

I totally agree with what Wendy said. Your "muffin" sounds like my post workout meal, just in a muffin shape. I think of SWYPO as a food that I would overeat or eat even if I wasn't hungry or something that would set up cravings. It is kind of a personal thing. Kale chips (although I love them) aren't that for me. I eat them, then I'm done and don't crave more. Sweet potatoes are normally fine for me UNLESS I make them into fries. Don't know why, but I'll eat a ton more than I should when they come in fry form. Nuts and nut butters are a no-go for my whole 30 because I snack on them even when I'm not truly hungry---it's a mindless hand-to-mouth thing.

This is a really interesting thread! I've been wondering the same things about SWYPO. I've been drinking a ton of sparkling water with lime and I had a mini-panic about it. But I never drank regular soda before and it's completely unsweetened, I just like the fizzy water. Adds some variation to flat water and black coffee.

SWYPO seems pretty subjective, but as a newbie, I just generally try and stay away from anything that could remotely be considered close. As I continue, I'm sure I'll loosen up and broaden my horizons, but for now, it seems like a great idea to stay away. Those 'muffins' sound good, but as someone who doesn't do Crossfit or super intense workouts, I should just skip it.

I keep seeing this debate, and I haven't seen my point of view on it yet, so I'm jumping in: for me, the test of whether something is Whole 30 or not, or SWYPO or not, has to do with the meal template. A coconut flour/egg crepe with banana and almond butter doesn't cut it for breakfast because it's not balanced, doesn't contain a palms-worth of protein, a plate full of veggies, etc. If you were to fill a coconut flour/egg crepe will pulled pork and greens? probably fine IMO (maybe not every day :)). By that logic, mashed or riced cauliflower served as part of a balanced meal works, portabello mushroom caps on a burger with sweet potato "fries" works, but "pudding" or "mug cake" or "grain-free granola" doesn't work, in part because they replicate an unhealthy food, but more so for me, because they don't fit the meal template and upset the balance of what I should be eating.

What Miss Mary said. We've been having this discussion more than usual lately, and it comes down to this:

1. The rules. If the rules say no, then no. No pancakes, no almond or coconut crust pizza, no muffins (not the muffins in question here; more on that in a sec.)

2. The immediate context. If it's a stand-alone snack, bad news (ie: yonanas). If it's a part of a meal that fits the template, there's a little more room for interpretation.

3. Personal context - like Wendy suggested above. If you have no issues with french fries, a few sweet potato fries as part of a meal with protein, fat and other veggies are not likely to cause unhealthy habits to rear their heads. If you have a dessert habit, some blueberries in coconut milk might just be a really bad idea.

These "muffins" are fine for post-work out. As part of a meal, I'd like to see a little more protein than a single egg and maybe some more veg variety.

Can you post a recipe? This sounds delicious!

I was reading through all the discussion about the crepes and i was wondering about this concoction I make as sort of a quick post WOD meal. All it is is sweet potato, eggs and ghee. I pour the mixture into muffin tins (out of simplicity really) and top with a piece of berry (blueberry or strawberry) and sprinkle some cinnamon and bake. I figured since they are fat, protein and carbs they are a good "whole" mini meal? Is this SWYPO?

Sorry about that, I didn't scroll all the way up before I posted.

Recipes are totally fine to post if they're W30 compliant, we just don't want a bunch of paleo pancake/muffin/smoothie recipes all over the board.

The "muffin" part of the topic panicked me a little. I missed Robin's ok as a PWO food.

This sounds great! I normally don't have a post WOD mean because I work out super early before work so I have to get home and get ready, then I'll make my breakfast to take to work and eat. This would be easy if it was already made. Do you mash the sweet potato? If you would list the recipe that would be awesome! I like the zuchini idea someone has as well.

This sounds great! I normally don't have a post WOD mean because I work out super early before work so I have to get home and get ready, then I'll make my breakfast to take to work and eat. This would be easy if it was already made. Do you mash the sweet potato? If you would list the recipe that would be awesome! I like the zuchini idea someone has as well.

I have this same problem. By the time I get home from my workout, walk the dogs and cook my meal, it's already been at least an hour...if not more. Something pre-made that I could eat in the car on the way home would be perfect.

If you don't feel comfortable posting the recipe, could you PM it to me, too? :) Thanks!

I made up my own version that I think came out well. I used one shredded sweet potato and six large eggs. I also added in some coconut flakes. I put the ghee unmelted in the bottom of the muffin tins, but in hindsight I should have greased the tins and put the ghee on top to help absorb the cinnamon. I baked at 350 for 20 minutes and they came out great.

Archived