Commercial broths with "chicken flavor" and/or "yeast extract"

MissWendy

I found a commercial broth, Campbells, that has only one ingredient that might be suspect.  It says "chicken flavor".  Compliant or no?

And I find a College Inn one that has "yeast extract" in it and says "no msg added*" - and the asterisk says "a small amount of glutamate occurs naturally in yeast extract".  Compliant or no?

And then one more that's clean except for "dextrose".  What is that?  it sounds sugary...

There are some recipes I'd like to make before I'll have a chance to roast a chicken, make broth.

36 minutes ago, MissWendy said:

I found a commercial broth, Campbells, that has only one ingredient that might be suspect.  It says "chicken flavor".  Compliant or no?

And I find a College Inn one that has "yeast extract" in it and says "no msg added*" - and the asterisk says "a small amount of glutamate occurs naturally in yeast extract".  Compliant or no?

And then one more that's clean except for "dextrose".  What is that?  it sounds sugary...

There are some recipes I'd like to make before I'll have a chance to roast a chicken, make broth.

Dextrose is sugar, so that one is out.

• Whole30 Certified Coach
1 hour ago, MissWendy said:

I searched the forum and found this about yeast extract so I am taking it as not compliant..."There is some controversy about whether yeast extract is a "natural" form of MSG or not. MSG is one of the big things we recommend avoiding. I don't know which way to go on the controversy, but would avoid products containing it just to be safe."

• Administrators

As per Melissa, yeast extract is fine if it cannot be avoided but we would encourage people to try and use/find products that do not contain this. It is not cause for restart.

Thanks guys.  The "inner web" seems to think "chicken flavor" is just concentrated chicken.  So ahead of having time to cook a chicken (and then make broth...) - I'm going with the one that's got "natural chicken flavor". 

And - I'm on this originally to try and deal with headaches.  So I do believe you are right that whether yeast extract is strictly forbidden or not, steering clear of any glutamate is the ticket here.

Update - turns out the secret handshake is to look for "Cooking Stock", not "broth".  And still read.  Swanson Cooking Stock - Chicken appears to be 100% compliant, the beef only theoretically compliant not so much clean. 

66002206_Swanson_Cooking_Stock-Chicken.png.4db34d28a28616239507b6bb9bacc880.png

But - their beef stock - has that Yeast Extract.  Fortunately, I just need chicken for now.  And it's easier to get beef bones for making stock than to get chicken bones without roasting a chicken. 

swanson_cooking_stock_-_Beef.thumb.png.64e8176d1e6267cc2d26e3b96ab4b70f.png

The honey in the beef stock would make that non-compliant, so the yeast extract wouldn't even matter at that point... but as you said, at least it's easier for you to get the makings of a homemade beef broth!

Archived