Preserves...

Dawn725

It might be ok since it is an all fruit version and being used just to add a bit of sweet to a savory dish, but why not just puree some apricot and add it in the same amount it calls for preserves then it would still add the sweet apricot flavor and would remove the question of compliance... 

I would go with making my own, unless you're 100% positive of the ingredients in your fruit-only options (meaning no hidden sugars like the sucralose in Smucker's "No Sugar Added" line of preserves).

https://www.superhealthykids.com/recipes/no-sugar-apricot-jam/
This looks like it could be pretty easy to make, and even split down into a smaller batch... although the recipe says jam, the difference between jam and preserves is generally the size of the fruit pieces in it (i.e., jams have smaller bits and preserves tend to be chunky), and the pictures on this make me think it probably has more of a preserves-type chunkiness to it (or easily could, depending on your own preference).

The idea of doing a simple apricot puree could work, too, unless the recipe specifically needs a bit of the gel from the preserves. You could possibly achieve that by adding in some natural gelatin (or agar agar, as a vegan option)... again, just make sure of ingredients, since packets of gelatin and agar are easy to use but do tend to have some kind of sugar trying to hide out.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Dawn725 said:

I have a recipe chicken calling for apricot preserves, is that compliant?  I would use the fruit only options, no added sugars.  Thanks.

Yep, as long as the ingredients are all compliant, this is fine.  

Using apricots or making ones own preserves for a recipe is also fine but some people don't have that kind of time or desire :)

Archived